Boot/trunk lock

Rek

Reaction score
Some less than caring member of London society decided to ram a screwdriver into by boot lock to try to unlock it. They must have been disturbed as nothing is missing, but I can now open it with a screwdriver. I have matching locks and want to know if there is a way to rebuild this lock or do I need a new one and have another key?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
New lock, available at Walloth-Nesch comes with a new key, a good locksmith may be able to re-key to your old key if you so desire.

Wladek

Reaction score
You will need to check/disassemble first, but probably you will need new lock, as boot/trunk locks have plastic insert part & something could crack there after screwdriver.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's very bad.

You can buy a new boot lock, as above W&N have them. Jaymic might also, not sure. Anyway, that's the easy bit.

It's possible to re-jig the pins in the lock to match, and I've just done it myself. Fiddly, very fiddly o_O

The lock opens up with two circlips, and there's 6 lock pins with tiny springs. Trick is to match the pins' sizes to the key's dimples. Three pin sizes and three dimple sizes. Or ask a locksmith for help!

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And don't forget, if you still have your valet key; it should not open the new re-keyed trunk (Just for the purists).

btw, WN lock does not have the stainless steel surround (it is brushed, I asked) and you have to use yours.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I use my old convertible rule from back in the day after someone knifed my top one night to get in and eat a bag of crawfish in the passenger seat (only in New Orleans). From then on I never lock the trunk or doors in my classic car, I leave nothing in the trunk or interior and I'd rather have the would be vandal gain access to the nothingness without busting up the metal or glass to see. I do have a double top secret kill switch.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my 2nd 2002 was broken into in Houston in 1981 - they ripped out the vent window ... then took a crowbar to the glove box. now for the agony - the doors were both unlocked and the glove box didn't have a lock. they cracked the dash in a big way while they were at it.

Rek

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that rsporsche. We should reserve a place in the seventh circle of hell for these people.

I think a rebuild is required for my lock. Mine is a button which retracts when locked which might not be standard for replacements.More on this later.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any locksmith can rework the lock to fit the key you have. Most likely a $60 repair.
Good luck.