Opening steering lock up, no key

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have bought an eBay steering lock barrel, with no key. My intent is to open it up and use the lock's tumblers to re-key my car's door locks, to get the car working on a single key for the first time in a long time.
My question is, how to open up this steering lock barrel to extract the parts I need from the key barrel inside. One option is an angle grinder...

I've read about a small allen bolt which I need to undo, however I can't see anything like that. There is a small metal button/plug which might punch in, or drill out

Any tips?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 86

Honolulu

Reaction score
"Pins" or "wafers"? No wait, I'm thinking "normal" keys/locks.

Anyway, the bits inside suggest to do this work on a clean flat surface with good light.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had some success over the weekend. With the spare tumblers harvested from the ebay lock, I have re-keyed by boot lock to work off the same key as the driver's door and ignition. Still to tackle the passenger's door and (if I'm feeling keen) the glove box. :)

couple of questions:
where to buy new cut Pebra keys. I have the code for the original key I need duplicated. I've read that Oz is a good place, but is anyone aware of anywhere in the UK. @mr bump , I saw a post where you'd found a place, a while back now though

for the boot lock, the key goes too far into the lock ~2mm further than where the dimples engage the tumblers. This means that to lock or unlock the boot requires a bit of wiggling, to get the key to the correct position (in vs. out). In these locks, what is it that controls how far the key can go in? On my lock the key goes all the way in, right to the hilt, where the circular end of the key hits the chrome of the button. The same key stops 1-2mm before this point on the driver's door and ignition

and yes, do this work on a large clear workspace, with lots of light. many many small pieces trying to get themselves lost

nathanegger

Reaction score
What are you doing with the barrel? I need that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I stripped the parts I needed, with a modest degree of violence. Apologies to posterity, but it's beyond re-use