Attaching rear panel

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My E3 was in pieces when I bought it. I need to determine how to waterproof between the rear panel and the body (I assume there was some sort of method to prevent water from coming in between the panel and the body. I would guess the same is needed on the E9 panel. One rear panel I have seen (not mine) had some sort of generic looking weatherstripping there...

IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4147.jpeg

What have you done to seal this....or am I over thinking it and no seal is necessary?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the e9 there is just two vertical strips at the end of the license panel, looks like yours may be the same. It was a soft grey foam.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine had some rows of black adhesive.
I used some black butyl tape.
It seems like the strips on the spare I have that I pictured had adhesive on both sides like you are describing.

3M moulding/emblem tape would probably work, but you would never get the back panel off again if you needed to...

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.42.25 AM.png

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems like the strips on the spare I have that I pictured had adhesive on both sides like you are describing.

3M moulding/emblem tape would probably work, but you would never get the back panel off again if you needed to...

View attachment 89677
I had little challenge removing the original.
I purposefully tried to use just enough and not rediculously wide and thick new butyl for reattaching.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks. Did the old adhesive make it watertight between the body and the panel, and/or did you make it watertight with the butyl (ie: no gaps around the perimeter with the butyl)?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used 3M caulk for this panel on my Bavaria. What I like about it is that it is reversible, just peels off cleanly. I also use it to attach the vapor barriers behind the door panels, you never know when you gotta go back in there for something. Actually also use it to attach the roundels at their pegs (besides the blob in the center as the factory used). and even a bit around all the belt trim attachment sites. Plugs and waterproofs the holes.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for everybody's help. I've ordered the 3M strip caulk. I'll run a bead around the outside edge of the panel and vertical strips to surround the tail light openings (as pictured in my OP). This should keep water out of the trunk and also from getting in between the panel and the body.

I like the idea of removable. (not that I've ever had to disassemble something that I've put together ;) )

bavaria

Reaction score
Among other things this is useful for keeping fasteners secure in a socket when assembling hardware in hard to reach areas. In the shop we used to call it dum dum. It will stick pretty much anything to anything but conversely it is easy to release.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Among other things this is useful for keeping fasteners secure in a socket when assembling hardware in hard to reach areas. In the shop we used to call it dum dum. It will stick pretty much anything to anything but conversely it is easy to release.
I installed the rear bumper today. I think it would have worked well to hold the carriage bolts in the side slots. I'll remember that trick. Thanks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just use strip caulk, just did this two weeks ago.