Engine Vin number ?? anybody know 2250489 stamped

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just checked the VIN on the engine in my black coupe and its 2250489 . I wonder if anybody knows about the car its out of? was it a coupe? I looked around but could not figure anything out.
My car is VIN is 2250207 so this is not my original engine
Any info would be helpful .....

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 683

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edit: I missed the first VIN. The info below is on 2250207. This is why I am adding motor registration to the CS registry dropdown. @Bejoe16 owns your original motor!

About 6 years ago (long before my time) @HB Chris poured through all of the old paper copies of the CS Registry mailing. He found your VIN in the mailing and entered it into the CS Registry website. The site is currently under construction due to a platform migration. There isn't any info on the VIN other than "Seen in old CS Register mailing list" - Washington DC. Your motor is from a 1972 3.0 CS, likely built in the summer of 1972.

The other interesting thing about your motor is that another member in the Southeast owns the same motor. Both you and @Bejoe16 should double check the VIN.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/engine-to-serial-numbers.25341/

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Same story. Chris entered this one back in 2012. "Seen in old CS Register mailing list" - Greensburg, PA. The motor is from a 1973 3.0 CS. No good build data but it was likely built sometime between January 1973 and the summer of 1973 based on adjacent VINS. Build dates and VINS aren't a 1:1 relationship.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do we know when the new Registry will be up and running? Including the VIN tables, color codes and such along with the other valuable data on e9-driven? I still have a link to the old site and refer to it often.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did we know when the new Registry will be up and running? Including the VIN tables, color codes and such along with the other valuable data on e9-driven? I still have a link to the old site and refer to it often.

Great question. We ran into a problem with the application. I have converted all of the old stuff over to the new site. All of the data is there, plus extras like VIN specific details on CSL's etc. Dan manually uploaded all of the images for each car. It looks great. However, when a converted user attempts to edit a converted record, it says that it can't be found. I can't figure it out, and I have a web dev friend investigating. He is doing this as a favor, however his time is limited. He and I may run the historical users through a scripted registration process and then I can re-associate the vehicle records to the recreated users. He was working on it earlier this week during his free time. If we hit a wall, Dan is going to outsource the web dev. My friend is a very very competent developer, so I'm hoping that he has time time to find the root cause. I'm committed to get it up and running this summer!

Surprisingly, many people regularly attempt to access and join the site. Every time I temporarily activate it people start attempting to register. A big thanks to Dan for his patience!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I know it isn’t always easy. I still think we need an approval process in place, in the old system we were plagued with robots and owners entering invalid VINs unknowingly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I know it isn’t always easy. I still think we need an approval process in place, in the old system we were plagued with robots and owners entering invalid VINs unknowingly.

We have an approval process on registration. You can also approve the entries and I believe that you are going to be the approver. :D The build date data on the old site is atrocious. Having a free-text field didn't help.

NotChuckie

Reaction score
I just checked the VIN on the engine in my black coupe and its 2250489 . I wonder if anybody knows about the car its out of? was it a coupe? I looked around but could not figure anything out.
My car is VIN is 2250207 so this is not my original engine
Any info would be helpful .....

Bossrobot,
I can tell you a lot about 2250207. I'll send you a PM.

The original engine had a cracked head and I replaced it with a used $600 engine in 1986. I thought the replacement engine came from a Bavaria, but it could be from a coupe. Bill Shook of Kraftwagen in Alexandria, VA did the engine swap and got the car running in 1986 or 1987. It was the first time in many years the car could move under its own power. Today, after about 35 years, I called Bill Shook to catch up and he thinks the original engine was likely scrapped. I owned the car for 12 years, and the legend is that Gene Wilder is the original owner. It was a 3-speed auto btw. Enjoy the car. Many good memories. Photo is from 1990's Reston, VA. NotChuckie.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 144

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All 225xxxx VINs are US/NA automatics. Glad you connected with your old coupe.

From the old paper Registry:
22504891973 3.0 CSAGREENSBURG, PAKREG A. MENDUS
22502071972 3.0 CSAWASHINGTON, D.C.CHARLES KENNEY/Johnny williams

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW: The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic US VIN 2250490 was manufactured on February 19th, 1973 and delivered on March 08th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Ceylon metallic, paint code 008.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW: The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic US VIN 2250490 was manufactured on February 19th, 1973 and delivered on March 08th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Ceylon metallic, paint code 008.
Thank you Andy, I have added you to my US/NA database.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My coupe was built in Feb 1973 --2250486-- automatic,Agave. The original engine might be in Hawaii and the auto trans was swapped out for a 4 speed before the car got to Maui. Any idea who were the previous owners before the owner from whom I bought the car? He never joined the BMWCCA or the Forum. He put in the Korman engine, 5 speed,and LSD.