1970 2800cs ebay (NMNA)

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one is pretty rough:

described by the seller as being in a "desert climate its whole life." apparently there was a little rain and moisture...

Enjoy

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
never seen a 'desert' car with that much rust. must have been caught in every flash flood event that occurred in that desert. before i looked at the ebay listing, i laughed when i saw 'dessert' ... really wonderful deliciousness i was going to see.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
never seen a 'desert' car with that much rust. must have been caught in every flash flood event that occurred in that desert. before i looked at the ebay listing, i laughed when i saw 'dessert' ... really wonderful deliciousness i was going to see.
Haha! Agreed :)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The add copy actually reads: "its so rust free." I think we're looking at a different car.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's a $17.5 or make offer car. It will probably sell for low teens. Plenty of photos of rust and more if requested including camera scope of any problem areas.

It's rusty and cheap. Is it not worth low teens or is there some entertainment value in ragging on non members' far from perfect cars?

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Probably came from the Okanagan as the 'desert' location. It is dry there, but not like where I live!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fair points Dick. My comment was really rooted in the idea of truth in advertising. It is surprising to me that we live in a world where we can show a photo of X and write Y. I would suspect the car is probably worth a high 4-digit number or a low 5-digit number to the right buyer. I honestly don't have any negative things to say about the car - just the ad copy. Honesty is the key word.

It's rusty and cheap. Is it not worth low teens or is there some entertainment value in ragging on non members' far from perfect cars?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fair points Dick. My comment was really rooted in the idea of truth in advertising. It is surprising to me that we live in a world where we can show a photo of X and write Y. I would suspect the car is probably worth a high 4-digit number or a low 5-digit number to the right buyer. I honestly don't have any negative things to say about the car - just the ad copy. Honesty is the key word.
I agree that the description of the condition doesn't match the pictures, but that is pretty common in the collector car world. Part of that is probably stretching the truth, but most of it (IMO) is that there are vast differences between one man's definition of "nice" or "good", or "runs great", or "minimal rust", or any other descriptor and another's (most importantly...MY definition :) ). Pictures (or better yet a personal inspection) is where the rubber meets the road...not the words.

It is also too common to use break and brake; or to, too and too; or their, there, and they're (etc, etc, etc) incorrectly. It bugs me some, but I always get what the writer means. I'm not going to pass on a good deal because of spelling, useage or grammatical errors. I'm sure I make my share of them too.

It is all too common on every car forum I frequent for a poster to find an ugly car for sale or and/or an ugly description of one (eBay or CraigsList most commonly) and post it (first insuring it is not a member's car. It is SO embarrassing when it turns out that it is a member's car :mad:). Then the piling on occurs.

I think there is a big difference between honestly helping to critique a car that a forum member might be interested in, and ridiculing the car or the seller. I hope we do more of the former here.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

This is fun. Can I play?

@HB Chris - Car currently in shop for failed paint

@OCCoupe - Driving/Enjoying a survivor in need of his love

@autokunst - Car is currently bare metal needs everything

@CSteve - Recently sold his only coupe that required rust mitigation

@rsporsche - In Op project under restoration.

@Markos - Project car idle, rust rivals/exceeds listing, needs everything

We all start (or end) somewhere right?

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The difference between paying 12k and 17k for something that needs a restoration isn't even worth mentioning. Those few thousand dollars will be lost in the minds of the owners undertaking projects like these with narry a thought. It's inconsequential in the extreme. Someone will either restore, build a group 5 race car, build a rad hotrod or use the parts for some other project.
I say best of luck!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was bored today (so, what else is new? ;) ), so I went down to Tacoma to look at this car.

First of all, the seller knows even less than I do about E9s (and that ain't much). Second, he would never get any awards for marketing. His words not matching his pictures scared off most buyers. He told me he was called every name in the book in responses to his listing. And if that wasn't enough, his lousy pictures scared off the rest (he admits they are lousy pictures).

I am not in the market for an E9 project, but the car I saw tempted me (I'm tempted easily). It is essentially a one owner car. The seller bought it recently from the estate of the original owner to make a hot rod out of it, but has too many irons in the fire. It is quite original. Original paint (mostly), original carbs, almost a full tool kit, trunk elephant skin in good shape, original carpet, period correct radio works. I believe the 47,000 miles on the clock. The car spent its life in the tri-cities area of Eastern Washington.

The rust is strange (to me). The only real rust through are those spots in the hood channel. No rust in the usual places (rockers, shock/strut towers, spare well, floors, wheel wells, well where the wiper motor sits, firewall, A pillars, etc that I could see (but remember I'm no E9 expert). There is surface rust under the rear window, in the trunk channel, spots on the hood and deck lid, etc. The only thing I can think of is that it was stored outside for at least a couple of years and water and maybe wet leaves sat in that hood channel too long. It has essentially rusted from the top down...not bottom up like I usually see. Not terrible, not deadly.

Here's a super short video and some pictures. If anyone is interested in the car, PM me and I can maybe answer some questions. In any case, get one of the Seattle area E9 guys on the forum to check it out before you bid or buy. I am not a good PPIor :))

IMG_5445.jpeg

IMG_5443.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5446.jpeg

IMG_5447.jpeg

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

IMG_5448.jpeg