Molding and Trim

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am restoring one of my E9 that is 71 2800cs and I am very close to completion I had to re chrome or anodize all the Trim or molding around the car and trim around front and back windshield there is the store in Pacoima CA they are specialized a classic car chrome restoration and they are charging me $3,000 for moldings and $2,400 for front and back bumper is it right charge for this kind of work is any one have a experience for this kind of work or you guys know any place in Los Angeles aria let me know please

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
most people do not chrome or anodize the trim. on the belt trim, i sent mine to Speedway in SoCal, they polished it all and ceramic coated it. much more reasonable than the 3k you were quoted. look on the FAQ best sources link below (in my signature below) and find their contact info. They have done a lot of e9 trim for people on this forum. 4 years ago, the cost was around 500 or so to redo all of the belt trim.

bumpers - rechrome. that really depends on the quality of the shop. some inexpensive places charge less, but the quality of the work isn't that great. some charge a lot and aren't worth it. some charge a lot and have a huge back-log. you want a company that does proven quality work ... and do it the correct way + stands behind their work. will let other people chime in here.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
as mentioned, the belt line trim is aluminum and was originally anodized, so chrome would not be correct
I was told anodizing can come out blotchy
I had Speedway do mine, they polish and coat with clear Cerakote
Looks great
To do Cerakote, a shop is supposed to be certified, but I had another shop do a poor job, there was a run in it
You cannot remove it chemically, so you want a place that does a good job

On chrome, prices can very 10 to 1 or more
I have used Salt Lake Chrome a few times and was very happy with the quality/cost

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Bmachine - not surprised that their prices have gone up. i remember getting a quote from them on a grille and it alone was between 250 and 300.

this brings up a good thought, and i apologize to @Candia4441 for interrupting his thread - i would like to add chrome shops to my Best Sources FAQ. I will add Salt Lake Chrome ... but i would like to collect other good vendors who do 'show' chrome and another list of excellent chrome. please send me any sources you have.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had SLC do the 'hockey sticks', the part just below the rear side windows, they look 100% (also had them do several MC parts)

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Bmachine - not surprised that their prices have gone up. i remember getting a quote from them on a grille and it alone was between 250 and 300.

this brings up a good thought, and i apologize to @Candia4441 for interrupting his thread - i would like to add chrome shops to my Best Sources FAQ. I will add Salt Lake Chrome ... but i would like to collect other good vendors who do 'show' chrome and another list of excellent chrome. please send me any sources you have.
there name is (King of trim) address is 9901 San Fernando Rd. #6 Pacoima, CA 91331 and there phone number is 818-471-0279 ) they are charging me $5,600 for my bumper front and back and all the trim including back plate beet win light and trim around the glass and chrome plate when you open the door where the door lock is

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI that price has gone up significantly. He is also very busy these days.
what is there name or there phone number you guys talk about it but there is no name or phone number please give me there number I have 2 E9 I gave this guys Ok to do my trims but I can use them on my 2nd E9

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speedway polished and cerakoted my belt line trim 10 years ago. It still looks perfect!
Much more cost effective than buying new from BMW and it fits.
IMG_6856.JPG

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
there name is (King of trim) address is 9901 San Fernando Rd. #6 Pacoima, CA 91331 and there phone number is 818-471-0279 ) they are charging me $5,600 for my bumper front and back and all the trim including back plate beet win light and trim around the glass and chrome plate when you open the door where the door lock is
Not sure have you are having them do, the aluminum parts should not be chromed, for instance, the part between the tail lights is polished aluminum, (unless you have a very early car, maybe a 200CS), don't chrome these aluminum parts

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure have you are having them do, the aluminum parts should not be chromed, for instance, the part between the tail lights is polished aluminum, (unless you have a very early car, maybe a 200CS), don't chrome these aluminum parts
... or a 2800cs, or unless the tail light piece has been swapped.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this the place? I have more parts to do, I wonder if they are still around

Speedway Metal Finishing

1979 Ritchey St Santa Ana, CA 92705

(714) 542-7778

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Speedway did a great job of removing some deep scratches on a couple of my parts
If your parts are in great condition you could probably do this yourself or 'locally' if you can find someone competent in Cerakote
I have read oven cleaner works to remove anodizing but I have not tried it yet

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you are right they don't chrome they call it anodized there is tin layer over aluminum and is shine like chrome.