Air damn destroyed

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
To make matters worse, I just learned that the shop that left MY BABY outside and destroyed the paint on the roof due to extreme cold, also ruined my air damn.

Frankly, I'm not surprised and not even going to say anything. Nothing to be gained. It was so low and if you were unaware of it, it's easy to harm it.

Should I get a new/different one?
1675608027173.png

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well you should share whatever you are on to make you so understanding. The west coast guys may not need it, but here in the east if that happened, bloodshed would ensue. I/We can just send sympathy because I/we know how much you love this car.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well you should share whatever you are on to make you so understanding. The west coast guys may not need it, but here in the east if that happened, bloodshed would ensue. I/We can just send sympathy because I/we know how much you love this car.
LOL. I have started micro dosing mushrooms, which has been helpful. I have just learned that in this small mountain town I live in that if I went ape shit, I gain nothing at all, and lose a shop that can do simple things moving forward, swapping tires, etc. If I tell you what they did to my Cayenne Turbo S, you'd flip out.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd be saying something to that shop about that damage, Scott.
What am I going to say, 10 days after I picked up the car, look what I noticed? There is a 4-5" bump of an ice hill that you have to be super careful when pulling cars in/out. They are used to SUVs and never gave it a thought.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say something anyway for the principal of the thing.
To what end? Dude, I just noticed that my air damn was also destroyed. BTW, I still need your help with the roof you destroyed, and the issues on the Cayenne that are pending and now require I tow the car to Boise to fix what you broke.
Why? If I did so, I'd feel good for a second, but then I'd need to drive 30+ minutes back and forth to get summer/winter tires swapped and other simple stuff. I'm just glad they didn't fuck up MY BABY worse. Fact is that air damn was super low and going to get further damaged anyway again. The day I got it out of the shop initially from Benny, I bottomed it out and got it fixed once, so it was bound to happen again. I can get it "repaired" for less than $200; it won't be perfect but no one sees it.
BTW, I put some packing tape on the roof, and it's fine for now. At least I can drive it, but dare not get it wet.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Then when the air dam is repaired & the paint cures put Xpel clear film on it.

I would not be giving that shop any more business, period.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The shop almost certainly knows that they caused that damage. Maybe not the owner, but the technician that scraped the air dam for sure. By not saying anything, you are either showing that you are not observant, or that you are saying it is okay to damage a customer's car. I once had to speak to a shop about damage. They argued that they didn't do it at first, but then acquiesced and offered to share in the repair. As @adawil2002 notes, it is the principle of the matter. Else, you are reinforcing that this behavior is okay.

I applaud your easy going, mushroom induced attitude. It is a good way to live. But letting people that know they can get away with something will just lead to others getting their cars damaged in the future.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Then when the air dam is repaired & the paint cures put Xpel clear film on it.

I would not be giving that shop any more business, period.
Andrew, here's the deal. Business in my town don't need my business, or any business. Simply stated, they don't give a shit, or at least most of them. I learned that late. It is me that needs them, regardless if they care.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, here's the deal. Business in my town don't need my business, or any business. Simply stated, they don't give a shit, or at least most of them. I learned that late. It is me that needs them, regardless if they care.
How about the following:

"I am here to present my apologies to the shop and its employees because my car was damaged, and for a short while I suspected it was negligence by the shop. Please accept my apologies and I will try to never think badly of you again".

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
How about the following:

"I am here to present my apologies to the shop and its employees because my car was damaged, and for a short while I suspected it was negligence by the shop. Please accept my apologies and I will try to never think badly of you again".
Honestly, that’s not far off from the type of interactions I am forced to engage in

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You should not enable them, nor should you feel you are a captured audience.

This is why I do much of my own work, done at my convenience, lower cost, enjoyable (to me anyway) and not a captive. I cannot tolerate people who think "he cannot hurt me, he cannot help me so I don't need him for anything".

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Relocate to an area where you have more choices and businesses need your business even a tad more than the locals you are dealing with. For me, living with your issues is like living with a low grade migraine.

No need to respond, that is an impossible scenario. Wishful thinking.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Relocate to an area where you have more choices and businesses need your business even a tad more than the locals you are dealing with. For me, living with your issues is like living with a low grade migraine.

No need to respond, that is an impossible scenario. Wishful thinking.
Agreed completely. Relocating is not an option as I live in otherwise paradise. But it is like living with a low-grade migraine constantly. I love cars, especially old cars and I will always have this problem here. Candidly I am tempted to just buy a modern car that is easily service here and forget about my love of cars all together. Unfortunately, I am not handy and thus repairing my car is myself unfortunately is not an option.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here in Ma where everyone drives and SUV (and nobody has any form of depth perception), so many parking areas have that stupid cement stop making an air dam a liability to have.