123 ignition installation

jc971

Reaction score
Bonjour

J'ai acheté un allumeur 123, c'est le modèle avec les 16 courbes d'allumage intégrées
il y a un fil rouge et un fil noir sortant de l'allumeur
j'ai aussi pris une bobine bosch rouge et je n'ai pas de balaste
la connexion semble simple, mais je aimerais savoir comment tu aurais fait cette connexion pour que je ne brûle pas tout

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The normal 123 (non-tune) model only has the pos and neg leads. Just follow @Stevehose directions minus the blue ground.
Screenshot_20200828-100643_Chrome.jpg

jc971

Reaction score
Merci pour vos réponses
c'est exactement la connexion que j'ai faite, la led s'allume dans l'allumeur
mais je n'ai pas d'étincelle dans la bougie
J'ai peut-être mal connecté ma bobine?
y a-t-il un fil de terre entre la bobine et la voiture ?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You should have a +12v wire from the ignition key that went to the ballast resistor (usually red/black) now going directly to +12v of the coil and a wire on the negative side of the coil to the tachometer and ground. Try advancing your distributor little by little to see if then starts. Also make sure the distributor was installed with the engine at top dead center on cylinder #1

jc971

Reaction score
I have the +12v wire it s actualy in green, direct on the +15 bosch red coil and the red wire of the distributor
I dont have ballast resistor
Black wire of the ignitor, black wire of the tachometer and groud on the -1 of the coil
I put the engine on the OT point.
I will try again with other new spark plug

6C1B767A-CC79-41C6-AA99-5013C848D289.jpeg

E040A7F7-D3E9-4B36-A5D7-6EB7C404CF84.jpeg

jc971

Reaction score
it may not be related
but when I plug in my battery, the whole car is grounded
do you think my battery ground is in the wrong place?
Maybe I should fix it somewhere else?
EF02F4B8-A0B5-4F90-B9F8-CCAA73426E91.jpeg

jc971

Reaction score
Hello
the e9 has finally started!
I turned the distributor 180 degrees and play with it from left to right giving starter, it run right !
thanks for the informations

now I have to adjust it with the stombo lamp

but I have a question about this
I must adjust the igniter with the original curve of the engine, fix it, and then select the curve that interests me,
or I must adjust it directly with the curve that I have chosen

I chose the 0 curve of the igniter, it is the 520/6 and 320/6 curve

What do you think ?

E2F46FCB-4CA6-4252-8875-A6A49E0E59DA.png

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the +12v wire it s actualy in green, direct on the +15 bosch red coil and the red wire of the distributor
I dont have ballast resistor
Black wire of the ignitor, black wire of the tachometer and groud on the -1 of the coil
I put the engine on the OT point.
I will try again with other new spark plug

View attachment 100347

View attachment 100348
Looks like distributor was maybe put in 180 degrees off.

jmackro

Reaction score

View attachment 100347

Well, there's your problem. The "-" terminal of the coil should not be connected directly to ground (that short wire with the yellow terminal). The coil "-" is grounded through the 123 (or on the stock distributor, through the points). Remove that wire and see what happens.

jc971

Reaction score
Hello
the e9 has finally started!
I turned the distributor 180 degrees and play with it from left to right giving starter, it run right !
thanks for the informations

now I have to adjust it with the stombo lamp

but I have a question about this
I must adjust the igniter with the original curve of the engine, fix it, and then select the curve that interests me,
or I must adjust it directly with the curve that I have chosen

I chose the 0 curve of the igniter, it is the 520/6 and 320/6 curve

What do you think ?

View attachment 100563

what do you think about this ?

ledge67

Reaction score
Quick question with the 123 installs. When rotating the distributor on initial install, does the green led to lighting up correspond to the contact area for the cap?

When rotating mine, the led drops out a bit before the rotor would contact the point on the cap and turns back on after it passes the contact. So the led seems to turn on and off when the distributor is not firing. Is this correct or am i missing something else?

Ive tried 180 degrees out and ive got spark, but no fire.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe the purpose of the green light is to tell the distributor where TDC on the number 1 cylinder is. Once you orient the distributor so as to get the wiring and vacuum connections (if any) where you want them, the next step is to rotate the distributor counterclockwise until the green light just lights up. In doing so, you are also supposed to press the rotor in a counterclockwise direction so as to eliminate any play in the drive. You then connect the plug wires, using the location where the rotor points as the connection for the number 1 plug wire and continuing from there 153624.

I understood this process to mean that the rotor is pointing to a contact on the cap (or the leading edge of a contact on the cap) when the green light illuminates.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t have the brains to read and follow the directions so I picked up the phone and called New Orleans (you know who). He calmed me down and clued me in.
I set the the crank at TDC and the distributor at #1 spark wire.
My tech cranked the engine and I moved the cap a bit til it fired up and ran nice.
green light bs in my book.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t have the brains to read and follow the directions so I picked up the phone and called New Orleans (you know who). He calmed me down and clued me in.
I set the the crank at TDC and the distributor at #1 spark wire.
My tech cranked the engine and I moved the cap a bit til it fired up and ran nice.
green light bs in my book.
This!

ledge67

Reaction score
It finally got to me and I pulled the rocker cover and behold, I was 180 degrees out. I had pulled it out and rotated the distributor a couple times, but I must have had the timing way off before. I didn't bother with the green light and did it by feel. Thanks sfdon and Steve.

Now I just need to figure if my dcoes will fit without changing the brake booster and costing a fortune.