1970 2800CS restoration

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i bought a second 2800CS ( besides my rallycar ) to restore....and keep this one more OEM.
Car was imported from CA in 2015 and kept in storage for 3 years by a Dutch company.
All seemed nice from.. above. :)
blauw8.jpg

the underside is another story after removing filler , o well, nothing new i suppose for a CS....

SAM_2325.JPG

and here we have "solid" material to weld....

SAM_2330.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i already bought a "test" plate from W&N , a front one. It does not fit , the stamp is in the middle were it should be a the side with just enough plate to make a bend.... ? strange. If i want the stamp i have not enough plate to the transmission tunnel ...We will use common plate.
The rear ones seems better shaped... i must order them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i already bought a "test" plate from W&N , a front one. It does not fit , the stamp is in the middle were it should be a the side with just enough plate to make a bend.... ? strange. If i want the stamp i have not enough plate to the transmission tunnel ...We will use common plate.
The rear ones seems better shaped... i must order them.

Yeah the front floor pans from w&n aren’t great. There is another US option but you may want to check this place:

http://sklep.manufaktura-workshop.pl/index.php/produkt/pelny-panel-podlogi-lewy/

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks Markos for the link ! But i order W&N rears and make the fronts out of common plate which we will reinforce instead of the "stamp". I do not aim a "purist" restoration... just a healthy body for rally...

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes, Rob, we could weld a extra piece on it so the seam is above the frame ... will have a look at it .

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
indeed , we are gonne use the W&N stamped plate on the outside up to above the U-frame. On the tunnel side another plate overlapping the W&N part. Will even be easyer to adjust as we have one side overlapping without tolerances. After welding to the U-frame we weld the 2 plates also together. Nothing visible from the underside , weld will be above the U frame.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just don't understand how manufacturers can spend all this time and money making something, but not making it right. QC just sux in the reproduction market.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d argue it’s not just Bmw aftermarket parts. I’ve seen it with many different car brands repo parts.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here to defend the W&N part, although I think I'm on my own. The front floor pans from W&N are made so that with one tool, they can stamp 1 type of metal plate that can be tailored to fit either left or right in an E9. This way W&N can get around using just one stamping tool; thus lower part cost for us when you order.

Downside is the following:
- you must create the 90 degree fold to the inner sill yourself.
other details are also not in the plate, as they are different comparing L to R:
- the beads,
- the openings for the frame rail access
- the curve up tot the front firewall
- a little bead in that curve, on the right front floor panel.
- indeed, as noted above, the panels don't stretch far up towards the tunnel. So if you have rust that has crept up, you may need to extend the W&N plate.

I have some pressing tools that you can barrow if you want to make the W& N parts look more factory. I'm in the Netherlands, near Eindhoven, so not too far.
Check my thread for some pics showing how I converted the W&N panels into a almost OEM shape, from post #87 onward.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fixing-that-little-rust-spot.18521/page-5

Erik.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah the front floor pans from w&n aren’t great. There is another US option but you may want to check this place:

http://sklep.manufaktura-workshop.pl/index.php/produkt/pelny-panel-podlogi-lewy/

just a note; also the panels from above manufacturer are also not 100% OEM. I compared pics of the full floor panels to the W&N parts in my garage, and the "channel like" depressions running from the rear towards the front are not continued through the fold where the toes of a rear passenger would be. On the other hand, having one full panel covering front and rear makes one less weld compared to the 'quarter' panels that W&N sells. Also the Sklep panels do have prepressed shapes that you can open up to get access to the frame rails.

I was surprised to see their website; I think they have added quite some new items to their offer. I've never seen these before for instance

Erik

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks alot Erik for the info !! You are a really "purist" with eye for details.... amazing. We will keep the restoration somewhere in the "middle" ... and yes, using the W&N plates to have at least the big stamps.... car is ment to be driven in regularity rallys , not as real rally racing , but nevertheless a slight more chance for a "crash" or "bump" than a Sunday afternoon café car :)

We sure couldn't do that with a perfect garage queen..... to expensive for the risks..... as with so many cars , once they are worth above "100K" only few daire to use them.... "you must be very wealthy to risk a M1 in a rally nowadays" was just mentioned here on the forum as so to speak.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Car was imported from CA in 2015 but had a speedo in km/h.... and now i found a 100 Lire coin in it among US coins.... so my idea was .... Italy ??? and yes :

The BMW 2800 CS VIN 2202908 was manufactured on February 13th, 1970 and delivered on February 23rd, 1970 to Italy. The original colour was Baikal metallic, paint code 042.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i recieved again a W&N box with goodies.... besides bottom plates some minor parts. A question, the new brake pistons have a cutout on the outside , while the OEM doesn't have. Is this for drainage ? anti noise ? does the orientation in mounting them matters ?
SAM_2332.JPG
SAM_2333.JPG

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
just a note; also the panels from above manufacturer are also not 100% OEM. I compared pics of the full floor panels to the W&N parts in my garage, and the "channel like" depressions running from the rear towards the front are not continued through the fold where the toes of a rear passenger would be. On the other hand, having one full panel covering front and rear makes one less weld compared to the 'quarter' panels that W&N sells. Also the Sklep panels do have prepressed shapes that you can open up to get access to the frame rails.

I was surprised to see their website; I think they have added quite some new items to their offer. I've never seen these before for instance

Erik

Looks like the "plugs" will need to be fitted into these? Do the W&N need to as well?

1b1392294da04ad7eefee3460c470912.jpg

7f12556713fda041d74c371b33f4e3b6.jpg

BTW, how does one remove the floor plugs?