1971 BMW 2800 CS (San Jose Area)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
looks great!

Always take the "no rust" with a grain of salt, but encouraging that it's at least not widespread most likely.

jmackro

Reaction score
It just seems a bit strange at such a low price.
Yea. It also seems odd that the car has "no rust" yet the air cleaner is so rusted. Still, maybe the seller just doesn't know coupe values today.

00202_40KpIbDFOXe_12w0t2_600x450.jpg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went and had a look - I saw a good amount of topical rust - not sure if it is a concern or not. Paint is bad. cracks in the dash behind the steering wheel, The seam under the rockers looked a little crunchy and I may see some rust on the rockers - see the pictures. Chris from SFDon's shop told me how to feel around under the Wheel Wells - nothing obvious with rust. The seller is legit and it's worth a look. Let me know if I can help. Here are a few more pictures:

20230515_131948.jpg

Attachments

• 20230515_131850.jpg
    20230515_131850.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230515_131907.jpg
    20230515_131907.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230515_131519.jpg
    20230515_131519.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230515_131515.jpg
    20230515_131515.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230515_131502.jpg
    20230515_131502.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230515_131433.jpg
    20230515_131433.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20230515_131408.jpg
    20230515_131408.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230515_131404.jpg
    20230515_131404.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20230515_131353.jpg
    20230515_131353.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20230515_131345.jpg
    20230515_131345.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230515_124833.jpg
    20230515_124833.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 107

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
A 52 year old E9, not freshly restored, must have some issues. Seems seller has pointed out deficiencies he is aware of. Sure, some rocker panel corrosion, and we have not seen floors etc, but, I am sure price is negotiable, and, in my opinion, if someone wants the E9 experience, here is a car that can be "freshened on-the-go". Thanks for the pics bmw2800cs! Mike

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rockers look good. Surface stuff.

Floors?

Ya, paint is bad, but better than shiny paint with bubbles everywhere

mvtcha

Reaction score
Went and had a look - I saw a good amount of topical rust - not sure if it is a concern or not. Paint is bad. cracks in the dash behind the steering wheel, The seam under the rockers looked a little crunchy and I may see some rust on the rockers - see the pictures. Chris from SFDon's shop told me how to feel around under the Wheel Wells - nothing obvious with rust. The seller is legit and it's worth a look. Let me know if I can help. Here are a few more pictures:

View attachment 162121
I just went to go see it as well and was interested but am cautious. The seller and his father were great, didn't pressure me despite never owning one or knowing all the places to look, were really proud of how original everything was. Would appreciate if we could discuss your opinion about buying as a first E9/classic european car over PM or text.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. No need to go undercover for this conversation, that is what this forum is all about. There are plenty of similar questions that have already been answered on the subject. But in order to provide any useful opinion, a few critical pieces of information are needed:

- What is your goal with this potential purchase? Investment? Driving pleasure? The satisfaction of the restoration process? xxx?

- What is your mechanical experience with older european cars? I'm sure you know this, but you are going to have to get your hands dirty very soon with these. "Really proud of how original everything was" is code for "Everything is tired and will be in serious need of attention, time and money very soon".

- How deep are your pockets? There is no getting around this one. Bringing these cars back to useable stage is expensive. Especially on a car which clearly has some rust issues. We don't don't how deep the rust is but looking at those underside pics, there is going to be some body work needed sooner or later

- What is your family/partner tolerance level for a big lump of metal that constantly takes you away from them? Everything on these cars takes a lot of time. Either fixing stuff or on the computer researching stuff

- What is your timeframe for gratification? Nothing goes fast with these projects. Once you're in, you're in for the long haul

- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, do you have a fully enclosed garage available for it on a permanent basis? These things hate any weather that is not Arizona's

Last edited:

mvtcha

Reaction score
This car would be my intro to European classics and best case be a fun weekend driver. I've owned old Japanese cars and enjoyed working on them, but really limited experience with carbs and no skill in cosmetic restoration. The car I saw was cosmetically fine for me and I don't have a nagging need to make it look much better, beyond the vinyl covered part of the trunk. The price is the main attraction (beyond the no sunroof and the looks and condition in general), and that I could be driving it while I fix things (once I get the brakes and carbs sorted) and make changes to make it mine (I'd be interested in a manual swap). My wife is supportive and we have a garage I've been paying for to keep it in that doesn't have anything in it now. I've always cross-shopped these with air-cooled 911's and am hesitant that I'm not getting as much of a fun sports car for weekend rallies if I'm honest. Looking at the cost of getting this running, it seems like I'd be up into 911 SC territory, which I'd honestly prefer, but have more time to spread that investment out and get to know the car before doing any major work. Would love any input into how good of a fit this car is for me.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Given the pics provided by @bmw2800cs , the rust in the pictures do not seem to be at a level where you must repair it for structural reasons.

Biggest dilemma is the outside appearance with the hood_bonnet and trunk_boot wearing a crappy paint, can you drive around with it and live with it?

Or sandblast, fix rust and repaint the hood and boot, stabilizing the rust, but having them completely mismatched to the rest of the car?

Benefit is that is seems to be original, meaning you know that it may have some rust, but that is better then rust on a coupe that was already fixed once before.

Last edited:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I didn't have mine I would seriously consider it. He seemed flexible on the price. You don't see reasonably low rust e9's that run at this price anymore. Have it looked at by someone that knows these cars.

My first choice is @sfdon

If someone in his shop isn't available then consider:
Hans as Palo alto bimmer - he's an old guy that used to work on these

Steve Dinan's new shop

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@bmw2800cs , thanks for giving us all a deeper look and great advice about arranging for a pre-purchase inspection.
@Bmachine, really solid advice on how one should consider a classic car purchase

As @eriknetherlands states, there is nothing in the pictures that would scare me away from this car. The price is right for an e9 that is close to you. I suspect it wont stick around long at this price.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've always cross-shopped these with air-cooled 911's and am hesitant that I'm not getting as much of a fun sports car for weekend rallies if I'm honest. Looking at the cost of getting this running, it seems like I'd be up into 911 SC territory, which I'd honestly prefer, ...
You need to get an SC instead of this one. If you are not head over heels in love with a project car, it will just be an albatross around your neck.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@mvtcha ; take care though that an intro into classic cars with an E9 is not for the faint hearted. E9's are complex, especially the steel body construction.
I once read an article on the 10 most difficult car to repair; the Alfa Romeo Montreal was 1st place, can't remember 2nd, but 3rd was our beloved BMW E9 coupe. Just one Journalists opinion, but it clearly isn't a VW Beetle.

This specific car is asking for a repaint, and a good paint job is costly. But a costly paint job only makes sense when you fix the rust. Is the rust trully minimal? Always unsure until you open the sills,

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You need to get an SC instead of this one. If you are not head over heels in love with a project car, it will just be an albatross around your neck.
Have to agree with Dick on the love part, and the large bird reference...
...or you could buy a totally sorted, hot 2002..it's more of a "sports car", and the e9 is more of a grand tourer (...to me, anyway, and I have both). And maintaining it is easier/cheaper than the e9 or the SC. Also less headaches and less stress. And I will bet that you get more smiles and less middle fingers, too.