1972 3.0CS - CSL Look - Polaris / Black

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This one looks pretty good on the outside but has some very questionable "upgrades". Seriously, E36 M3 seats in an E9?? Bidding starts at $60k, buy-it-now for $75k. Good luck Mr. Seller!

The seller indicates the car has the "very rare" 4 speed manual transmission. This car deserves new seats, 5 speed transmission, a 3.5 engine, etc. Subtract $20k. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-BMW-6-...ash=item361b6d51ad:g:pd4AAOSwbopZUhP-&vxp=mtr

VIN:2240385

http://e9-driven.com/RegistryView.asp?RID=3884

Prior listing:

http://www.primemotorsport.com/web/used/BMW-3.0-CS-1972-Addison-IL/24487859?utm_referrer=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiJmtm4l97UAhVDAxoKHb16BNMQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprimemotorsport.com%2Fweb%2Fused%2FBMW-3.0-CS-1972-Addison-IL%2F24487859%2F&usg=AFQjCNEAcivTbihzeJ6kG_7kmKYXztJxvw

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
The seller indicates the car has the "very rare" 4 speed manual transmission.

Not to criticize or defend the car, but the actual quote in the ebay ad reads: " EXTREMELY RARE! 4-SPEED MANUAL! ONLY 411 PRODUCED!". So the seller isn't quite saying that a 4-speed manual is rare; simply that a CSL is rare. Were there really only 411 produced?

Are the inner door panels, with the three, diagonal, accent stripes correct? I'm going to guess not.

And does the ebay auto-formatter automatically put everything in CAPS and add exclamation points?

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not to criticize or defend the car, but the actual quote in the ebay ad reads: " EXTREMELY RARE! 4-SPEED MANUAL! ONLY 411 PRODUCED!". So the seller isn't quite saying that a 4-speed manual is rare; simply that a CSL is rare. Were there really only 411 produced?

Are the inner door panels, with the three, diagonal, accent stripes correct? I'm going to guess not.

Right - except it's not a CSL or it would have already sold at that price in less than 10 minutes. The door panels are not correct. The striping might be acceptable if there was an S38 engine under the hood. With the stock engine it's just trying a bit too hard.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although the ridiculous headlamp wiper, one per side, is an embarrassment and the interior leaves much to be desired, BUT, my keen Petri eye has detected a jewel, a real leather CSL Petri wheel. Not that it matters in the sum of things, but for Petri aficionado's, it's a highlight.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Am I the only one to notice the title?

"
1972 BMW 6-Series CS
BMW CS 6-series 1972- older restoration. CSL recreation."

Now THAT is rare!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And even RARER!
"
3.0L Straight V6 Cylinder Twin Carburettors Engine"!

Is this sold by Buffoons Auto Sales?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's surprising that with all the bling on the car the "restorer" didn't clean up the minor things like the air cleaner and strut bar being red. All weather mats don't really go with the "CSL" and the pictures are not really clear- except the one of the tire? As my mamma would say, haste makes waste, and it looks like some things were hastily done unfortunately- also, underside shots would be nice. It could be worth close to the price if the shell was properly done under all the, pardon the expression "monkey snot".
I don't like to be too critical of the automobiles out there but it's pretty much open season on the sellers :)

And Don, Buffoon is a great term, not used frequently enough these days but applicable universally and often!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i looked at this when it popped up on ebay this morning. there are a lot of little oddities. not worth the asking price
the interior is NOT my favorite, especially the vader m3 seats. the rears look decent ... but not a fan of the door panels or the floor mats. then there is the trunk - wrong year tool box, not a fan of the work done around the gas filler or the bin. the rear trunk panel is a complete mess.

things that look pretty good, as Keshav clearly points out - the petri. the 635 style air dam and the bbs rs wheels look quite nice. the paint / body also look good ... just no 'money' shots of the undercarriage / rust prone areas

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lots of folks like the Vader seats; even in the correct car, I think they look silly.