1972 Bavaria Restoration

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took 548 pictures and 25 videos during the restoration of my Bavaria over the last 11 months. Some were just to document the build, some so I remembered what something looked like before I took it apart o_O , some so I could ask here what this or that unknown part was for. I boiled the 548 down to 75 (which is still too many) that show how the car came together.

They are here...

Markos

I have a day job
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing job Dick! I remember seeing this car on craigslist and I couldn’t see par the 17” wheels and primer. Well executed!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing job Dick! I remember seeing this car on craigslist and I couldn’t see par the 17” wheels and primer. Well executed!
Thanks,Markos

That's pretty common with failed/abandoned projects. Eventually the seller realizes no one is coming to look at the car for what he is asking for it and comes to the realization that most of the money is lost if the car is to actually go away. I think this is the 4th failed project I've done.

This one is a rust free SoCal car with lots of documentation back to the original owner in San Diego. The guy I bought it from had spent a fortune having a pro getting it (mostly) paint ready. He then realized he'd have $50k into a car worth $15k when he was done.

I have always lusted after these Bavarias ever since they were new. I was a broke 24 year old in 1971. A dentist friend had just bought one (he still has it BTW) and let me drive it. I was hooked. This one was the right car at the right time for me.

Markos, thanks for turning me on to Seth in Ballard with that parts Bavaria. I got LOTS of parts from that car. Seth treated me well. We still communicate and I've promised to bring the car by his shop in the near future.

Thanks to everyone else here also. Without this group I'd still be scratching my head trying to solve problems and I'd still be looking for parts.

Last edited: