1972 BMW E9 3.0L CSL - Side Mirror Location?

Will

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm contacting you from Creative Custom Cars in Dromana, Victoria, Australia. We are restoring a BMW CSL, December 1972 build. (I've attached two photos of the car for reference and interest). This build is concourse standard, to the finest detail honorable to factory and delivery. For this reason, we are seeking clarification from you all as to the correct location of the rear vision side mirrors. From our research efforts to date, these mirrors have been located at various points, and we know that only one location can be truly correct. If you have an insight, please comment! If you have photos, even better!
Thank you in advance, WIll IMG_5891.JPGIMG_5896.JPG.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry @Wes,

I accidentally killed your post while merging duplicate threads. :(

I was pointing out that there were no 1972 BAT's at all and that there were no LHD BAT's until I think it was July 1973. Only mentioned it as the poster said they were going for factory specifications. Seeing as though I'm in Hobart, (which is basically a suburb of Melbourne if you ask Victorians) and I've got a 1972 CSL I offered to have a chat with them on mirror placement etc.

m5toureg

Reaction score
Hi Will.
To avoid speculation and for clarification you might as well provide the VIN of the CSL (RHD?),
you are working on ? The input just might be of help to clarify side mirror location as well ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Will.
To avoid speculation and for clarification you might as well provide the VIN of the CSL (RHD?),
you are working on ? The input just might be of help to clarify side mirror location as well ;)

That would be good! I hope that you stick around @Will to seek input from the forum on the build. If you need measurements for the mirror placement we have two sets of published measurements with pics. Likewise, a lot of other CSL knowledge.

Nothing wrong with putting a Bat kit on a RHD CSL. Nothing wrong with putting a Bat kit on a CS. As long as it is identified as such.

Will

Reaction score
Sorry, you are correct, it is not factory delivered as a Batmobile, we are applying the Batmobile kit however.

Will

Reaction score
I was pointing out that there were no 1972 BAT's at all and that there were no LHD BAT's until I think it was July 1973. Only mentioned it as the poster said they were going for factory specifications. Seeing as though I'm in Hobart, (which is basically a suburb of Melbourne if you ask Victorians) and I've got a 1972 CSL I offered to have a chat with them on mirror placement etc.
Can I grab your email address? Sounds great.

Will

Reaction score
Hello Wes after looking at many photos off the early cars I have a fair idea where to place the mirror.
But would be nice to see where yours sits measurement wise.
I'm looking at moving mirror base about 15mm back from edge off door.
How does that compare to your car?
Will

Reactions: Wes

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a CSI, so likely factory placement.

Note that I didn’t center the tape perfectly over the holes, but the tape line is pretty level. The vertical tape is square to the horizontal. I gave the caliper a little bit extra on the vertical measurement to account for the horizontal tape placement.

Disclaimer: get a second opinion.

View attachment 47547

View attachment 47548

View attachment 47549

View attachment 47550

View attachment 47551

View attachment 47552

Second Opinion:
I got measurements for euro positioning from a local euro 3.0cs owner so I might use that as I hear that it is more useful than North American placement. For those following along here are the measurements I have.

View attachment 87046

View attachment 87047

mwds

Reaction score
Great Info on this thread; I have a 1973 (as it turns out) 3.0CSa (2232124). By mirrors are perfectly located to completely prevent the 1/4 window from opening. We are about to strip it and full repaint and thought now would a good time to reposition them. I assume these dims are good for mine.