1972 RHD CSL Verona with Vinyl roof

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear members,
having introduced myself as a new member I would like to start sharing what I found last year on Ebay:
Anzeige.JPG
This car was auctioned in 2017 at "Historics at Ascot" https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/...rs/ref-127-1972-bmw-30-csl-lightweight-coupe/
E9 CSL mit Weihnachtsstern.jpg
Now I was lucky to obtain it, details and more information will follow soon.

Regards
Thomas

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Previous Owner would need to be perfectionist to keep the car in such a condition after almost a million kilometers behind the wheel. o_O ;)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I looked at that car when on ebay as chasing another CSL. Even made an offer.
Lots of support on here to help you get it back on the road.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, the previous owner told me that somebody from "down under" desperately wanted that car. Anyhow, I was the "early bird from the neighborhood", sorry.
It may take a while, but my intention is to bring it back to the original state, even better. And maybe afterwards we will see it on your roads!?
Tasmania.JPG
This number plate I will reserve for you!
Thomas

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes

scrappydog

Reaction score
Dear members,
having introduced myself as a new member I would like to start sharing what I found last year on Ebay:
View attachment 155150
This car was auctioned in 2017 at "Historics at Ascot" https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/...rs/ref-127-1972-bmw-30-csl-lightweight-coupe/
View attachment 155230
Now I was lucky to obtain it, details and more information will follow soon.

Regards
Thomas
Hi Tom,

any progress with your project? I would love to hear about (see) the condition of what you bought and how the restoration is progressing!

Cheers

Andy

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I knew this question had to come up some day: "Thomas, what about your progress??"
So lets start with the tail end, which is one of the most important part of BMWs (most other drivers see the front of a BMW for a glimpse in the back mirror, followed by a deep-drawn sigh looking at the tail of that car just past by!).
In fact the tail end was the first part I bought:
Tail end thin sheet no fog light.JPG
It´s a thin sheet reproduction available here, double the price you would pay for a standard W&N part.
As you may notice it´s the non-foglight version!
I found these NOS parts for the trunk:
Reserveradmulde.JPG
The tail fenders need some attention:
Seitenwand links org.JPG
I found these;
Seitenwand links.JPG

Enough for today, to be continued!
Have a nice weekend

Thomas

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
...I didn´t know you had it otherwise I would had come see you, just a two hours drive!
Yes, UK plates:
UK plates.JPG
And a new engine I found!
The tail bumper came off easily, just a kick and it fell off, put it straight to the scap, got some nice spare ones already!
Note that the "City-Pack bumper" did not come with the underriders!

Last edited:

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Of course I did! But what is the difference between a standard E9 rear bumper and a CSL-City-package bumper? I thought it's the same?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Of course I did! But what is the difference between a standard E9 rear bumper and a CSL-City-package bumper? I thought it's the same?

Yeah no difference. You could always opt to go the lightweight route to start. No front bumper and perhaps a repop rear like from Zaprace. Will save you $2K in restoration costs. Easily reversible.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
We will see how things will evolve! Let´s first check the original state as I got it.
The trunk lid is the aluminum type. It`s still in a very good condition except the bootlock.
Heckdeckel Verschluss.JPG
It is fixed by rivets to the aluminum lid. The area around has been repaired using glassfibre, I will have to remove the glassfibre to check!

The "City-Package" trunk is equipped with
- the big tool box in a good condition but most of the tools gone
- boot lid covers in a good (but dirty) condition
- hinges
- torsion bars
Heckdeckel innen.JPG
Werkzeugfach.JPG

The rear spoiler looks different, never seen that before. Fixed with a kind of 3M-tape.
Heckpoiler CSL RHD.JPG
Heckpoiler CSL RHD 1.JPGHeckpoiler CSL RHD 2.JPG

As an alternative I might install "plan b":
Heckpoiler CSL.JPG
But where to put this then?
CSL Schriftzug.JPG

That´s for today

Thomas

Attachments

• Heckpoiler CSL RHD 1.JPG
    Heckpoiler CSL RHD 1.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Heckpoiler CSL RHD 2.JPG
    Heckpoiler CSL RHD 2.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the flyer for RHD CSL
E9 CSL RHD flyer 1.JPG
E9 CSL RHD flyer 2.JPG
The original colour of my car was "fjord". The first owner must have loved "verona" (as I do!), so the car got repainted and received the black vinyl top.

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
The rear spoiler is interesting. Hard to say it was only for E9 or rather universal.

Is it "Formuling" on both sides or one only?

1696184046389.png

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let,s have a look inside:
"Darling, my ash-tray is full, we need a new car"
Fahrersitz CSL.JPG
No cigarettes, only parking tickets!
The photos in the auction catalog didn´t try to hide anything, so the buyer has no reason to complain afterwards!
The Angora cat must have loved the Scheel driver seat!
Beifahrersitz CSL.JPG
No hairs on the passenger seat, guess the cat really admired the Petri and the dashboard!
Petri.JPG

Well, the Petri received new leather already, the "Konsole" (don´t know the english word) is also with my saddler.
I started removing the varnish on the wooden dashboard piece, together with my neighbour (he is a carpenter) we will put new veneer on all other wooden parts, very special job, I will report later.
The Scheel seats are also with my saddler, I got the original fabric from Gerrit. Also found two headrests (I really care for my neck!).
You see these big "Pioneer" loadspeakers mounted in the door panels? In the back "Gelhard" was installed, my favourite at that time!
Wow!! at that time, but...
Black door panels are really hard to find, but... I found a complete set in a good condition at a resonable price.
Of course, in order to get these nice loudspeakers installed some cutouts had to be made these days, at the front doors and at the "Schinkenblech" (ham sheet??)
Loadspeaker Coutout.JPG
Of course I have some spare "Schinkenblech".

Well, for me it´s really great fun to deal with "obstacles" like this.
Back here we were lucky to find a lot of E9-parts. But times have changed, E9-parts are getting rare also over here.
What you need to get a car like this back to glory is time and good connections. If you try without, you really need money.

Today is my first day of retirement! The future looks great!

Have a nice sunday evening

Thomas

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
First of All Happy retirement. It looks this is the right time to take care of such special car.

I like the look of the cars just before restoration. It is like time capsule. Some may sit and imagine what a track, scene, cat ... could sit and in which places the car was.

or... maybe not all ...

I'm amazed with the condition of the wood. Car was not sitting on rain too long. Really nice details preservation in general.

Was the engine in? What kind of transmission it has (5 or 4-speed)?

Really strange why this happen than
1696186004687.png

body repair in the past? It could be looking below on the crack with a lot of body filler (If I'm not mistaken).