1973 3.0 cs stereo

inmantua1

Reaction score
1. does anyone know what factory stereo came in a 1973 3.0 cs?
2. I have an in-dash connected to an antenna on the rear drivers fender and one tiny speaker in the dash. It is my daily driver and cannot stand the sound. I would never replace the indash or cut holes in the car for speakers, but need better sound. Does anyone know of a trunk or glove box mounted system that has a remote control to the front?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Most people cut the parcel shelf and rack-mount an amp under the shelf. It gives much better sound.

The stock radio was, if I recall right, a Becker. Most people have cut their dash bezel to fit DIN sized radios by now.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the Blaupunkt Frankfurt outnumbered the Becker. I've never personally seen a Becker in an e9, but a lot of Blau's. Beckers are common in Mercedes and Porsches.

Better sound is going to require some surgery on the car. The vertical panel below the rear seat bottom cushion is a good place to hide some 6" or 6x9" speakers to provide bass and some mid, and if you leave the carpet intact the speakers are invisible. You can get 4" dual-cones in the front kick panels with a little sheet metal snipping behind the trim. If you want to go 3 way components, use those two locations for your single cone subs and mids, plus mount a pair of tweeters behind the stock radio grill on the dash.

There's room under the rear seats for a compact amplifier, or lots of room in the trunk. Look for an a/d/s/ PQ10, they're 90's vintage and only rate at 35 wpc, but they will kick the arse of many modern amps claiming much higher output, and can be bridged to drive a sub. They go for ~$90 on eBay regularly.

RogerB

Reaction score
inmantua1 said:
1. does anyone know what factory stereo came in a 1973 3.0 cs?
2. I have an in-dash connected to an antenna on the rear drivers fender and one tiny speaker in the dash. It is my daily driver and cannot stand the sound. I would never replace the indash or cut holes in the car for speakers, but need better sound. Does anyone know of a trunk or glove box mounted system that has a remote control to the front?

My previous 73 3.0 CSA came with a Blaupunkt Frankfurt, but like all other coupes it was dealer installed (per the delivery invoice). It was stereo and had a seperate speaker mounted (before delivery) on the rear deck (hat rack). There were no factory installed radios according to my resources and quite a few Blaupunkt and Becker models were available and therefore correct.

I have a rare period correct Becker Gran Prix w/seperate under the dash cassette player and correct matching e9 control knobs. I have decided not to install it in my CSL; therefore, it can be purchased. Warning: It is not cheap!

Roger Beckham
Golf 72 CSL 2275030

inmantua1

Reaction score
antenna

Thanks for the responses and pix. In looking @ the last picture I see what appears to be my antenna and right next to it there is a key. Does anyone know whats up with that key? I was thinking that my antenna was not functioning or disconnected but is it possible that it is just locked? Why would an antenna need a key???

jhjacobs

Reaction score
As I recall, the key is used to lock the antenna in the down position (to prevent vandalism). There is no other purpose.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
"Factory Radios"--most of Hoffmans imports

to the USA--as I recall and have seen--seemed to have been most often fitted with the Blaupunkt radio shown in the brochure next to the E-12 dash--they had the control knobs with the bright metal insert that was slightly dished and were also the ones most often fitted in the E-3's As I recall the stereo receivers with tape decks didn't show until after--perhaps 1977 or 1978--I fitted both of my Coupes with same and kept the original Blaupunkt until about 3 years ago when I let it go to fit a Bavaria with the correct radio.

I have seen a handful of E-9's fitted with the same era Becker Grand Prix that I believe showed up as an extra cost option in about 1972 and later--recall seeing only one Coupe fitted with a Phillips system in a 1973 Coupe. In the 1974 models a premium Becker Grand Prix stereo had a stalk mounted control available at extra cost.

All of the above based on an occasionally faulty memory! (;>}

inmantua1

Reaction score
antenna

Well I think that my antenna is locked down rather than not working like I originally thought. Anyone have any ideas how to get antenna operating?

shanon

Reaction score
Here is a visual for reference. This was the Blaupunkt Frankfurt (US model) that I removed from my Euro '70 2800. It had one speaker in the normal center location. Note the proper CS specific knobs, Frankfurts can be found, the proper knobs are the challenge. This one had a custom vinyl covered metal face plate I believe made by a dealer or PO.

CSradioinstalled.jpg

Now I have a small Alpine amp under the rear seat shelf (my rear seats are deleted) and I made a small speaker box that straddles the tranny tunnel in the back footwell holding a couple of Polk Audio 4"ers. I didn't want to cut any wholes or mount anythin permenately. System is on direct power with dedicated toggle power switch. Music input is from a Walkman/iPod type player. This stereo system designed to be very descrete and entirely removed for events/track days in a jiffy. Works pretty good, but then I liked to crank up the M30's music the most.

HTH
-shanon

inmantua1

Reaction score
antenna

thanks. but the problem is that the car did not come with the antenna key...anyone have any ideas? locksmith? take it apart?