1973 BMW 3.0 CS for sale.

Sportymerc

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Robert. My father, Wallace, bought a 1973 BMW 3.0 CS approximately 15-20 years ago. He has a large collection of antique cars and this was one of those cars. Due to a overwhelming collection now, my father is selling off a few cars. This 73 has original miles and has a new paint job. There have only been 100 miles put on the engine since it was bought, due to the car being in dead storage. We are trying to find the best possible place to sell this vehicle and price ranges. If anyone can help, please contact me on the aol at [email protected]. Here is a website of the car with some pictures.
http://www.hollywoodmerckantiques.com/Collector_Cars_2.php

texcarguy

Reaction score
Selling your car

I looked at the website.... Honestly, a pretty underwhelming presentation in terms of photos and details. I doubt you'll get much interest here, or anywhere, without taking a little effort and truly documenting the condition of the car both in print and photo

chicane

Reaction score
Re: Selling your car

texcarguy said:
I looked at the website.... Honestly, a pretty underwhelming presentation in terms of photos and details. I doubt you'll get much interest here, or anywhere, without taking a little effort and truly documenting the condition of the car both in print and photo

+1, not to mention what in the heck does ANY car with 7744 original miles need with new paint, a new fender and a new header? Can someone say "red flag"?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 am Post subject: Re: Selling your car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
texcarguy wrote:

+1, not to mention what in the heck does ANY car with 7744 original miles need with new paint, a new fender and a new header? Can someone say "red flag"?

BIG RED FLAGS--BASED ON A FEW YEARS OF COUPING!!
Among a few things visible:
original miles are obviously GREATLY UNDERSTATED
a badly cracked dash
the dashwood badly cracked--other wood is very likely
windshield is opaque in corners
upholstery color mismatch seat to headrest
wrong radiator cap
headlight access covers missing
re-paint peeling underhood
wrong battery ground and positive wires
never known of a repaint needed at 7,000 miles
etc, etc, etc
would judge car mileage at least 107,000 (if odometer is working) or considerably higher with a lot of non-garage exposure to weathering
it's a major restoration project of considerable time and cost
price to buy--very low IMHO

Sportymerc

Reaction score
just to let you know... this car is at stated mileage with documentation to prove. The car has been sitting in dead storage for over 15 years. Approximately 7 years ago, it was brought out of storage and sold to a buyer who messed up alot of the car including paint and therefore needed new paint job. Car was sent back by buyer stating the problems he messed up and the car was repainted and put back into dead storage. The car is being gone over with a fine tooth comb now and new pictures will show the pristine condition of this vehicle. It is your opinion to believe that I am lying and that it is not good, but that is just your opinion. I see the car everyday and I know the condition and once the new digital pictures are available it will be shown. But thanks for putting in your 2 cents.

chicane

Reaction score
Sportymerc said:
just to let you know... this car is at stated mileage with documentation to prove. The car has been sitting in dead storage for over 15 years. Approximately 7 years ago, it was brought out of storage and sold to a buyer who messed up alot of the car including paint and therefore needed new paint job. Car was sent back by buyer stating the problems he messed up and the car was repainted and put back into dead storage. The car is being gone over with a fine tooth comb now and new pictures will show the pristine condition of this vehicle. It is your opinion to believe that I am lying and that it is not good, but that is just your opinion. I see the car everyday and I know the condition and once the new digital pictures are available it will be shown. But thanks for putting in your 2 cents.

Dear sir;

By "messed up" do you mean wrecked? And what about the interior? From the pics you provided the car I saw the following cracks and buckles in the dash, a broken shifter boot and woodgrain that is cracking and I didn't even get to see the seats. THAT is not pristine condition. Not even close. I also saw paint peeling under the hood. That indicates a car that has sat out side for long periods of time at SOME POINT during it's life.

I also saw tree debris under the hood which indicates that this car may be recently stored outside.

I would also be curious as to what documentation you have indicated that is the actual mileage?

AndyM

Reaction score
Does "dead storage" mean stored outside in the weather for 30 years with no cover? There's no other explanation.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You might try selling something like this on eBay. Just looking at the limited pictures there are many unanswered questions that have been bought up by previous posters. Odometer doesn't look to be working as it is stuck at 22 MPH. Also steering wheel hub looks like its cracked - so this might be a safety issue for the new buyer. I would suggest better pictures, discription and choice of words. Any documentation to backup your statements - helpful. Good luck.

Tundra

Reaction score
In one picture the steering wheel is on the right side and in another it's on the left side. Did I miss something?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
andre said:
In one picture the steering wheel is on the right side and in another it's on the left side. Did I miss something?

The image was mirrored at some point. Maybe from a scan, since it looks like an old photo...

c2b71f60f6d471e6b76606a3500a07db.jpg

Sportymerc

Reaction score
Hi, just an update about the BMW. My father bought this car for his collection approximately 20 years ago and recently signed it over to my mother . When my father bought this car, it had the mileage listed online and there have been approximately 20 miles put on this car since. The mileage listed is supposedly accurate, with no actual knowledge of true mileage if inaccurate. My father recently began doing some limited work on the car due to vandalism. He had the car repainted, microsanded, and buffed. The car interior was redone with new carpets and cleaned up. The brakes were redone with new calipers and the rotors turned and new tires were placed on vehicle. The car runs and drives excellent and will be examined and given a written proof of such claim by a liscensed BMW mechanic. There are some items we ordered for the BMW from Century BMW here in Greenville, SC and we expect these items in shortly. These items are to replace the items stolen by vandals, which ultimately led to the repainting. The car has been viewed here in Greenville by many different mechanics and other people who say the car is in very good condition, but we do not think of it as excellent yet. Limited work would need to be done to make this car a top contender show car. A few items of note, the rubber items, the a/c (which still works), and the bose radio system have not been replaced. The door windows work, but they are slow and need some work. The headliner is in good shape with a small tear from the vandals still. The speedometer needs work as it registers approximately 20mph while sitting still. We have thoroughly examined the vehicle with no rust noted. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. We are hoping to sell this vehicle and we will listen to any offer you might have. If no offer attracts our interest, we will put this car on bidding on the internet and see how we do.
If you would like to see new pictures go to www.hollywoodmerckantiques.com and click on the link of collector cars 2.

Sportymerc

Reaction score
Also, dead storage means it was placed in a garage and the doors were shut and the car was not moved from that location. After vandals walked across the car, stole items from the car, and spray painted grafitti on the car, the car was brought out of dead storage. The car sat outside for approximately 1 week before the car began being restored. If there are anymore questions, or if you would like to talk about the car feel free to contact me. My email is on the website if you wish to contact me.

ducks

Reaction score
WOW

Just from the pictures provided, this cars in need of a serious overhaul, assuming the bodies clean,suspension,trans/engine are all in fine condition ,this car needs alot of work,woods going to need redone,shift boot,dash,gauges?,cracked dash,splits in seems,pull back etc. the seats are interesting material-I think?looks like a serious amount of work for a non documented car, unless you have documentation supporting the mileage and service you've got issues here.

acat2002

Reaction score
Sportymerc said:
Also, dead storage means it was placed in a garage and the doors were shut and the car was not moved from that location. After vandals walked across the car, stole items from the car, and spray painted grafitti on the car, the car was brought out of dead storage. The car sat outside for approximately 1 week before the car began being restored. If there are anymore questions, or if you would like to talk about the car feel free to contact me. My email is on the website if you wish to contact me.

"You're suspect! Yeah, you! I don't know what your reputation is in this town, but after the shit you tried to pull today you can bet I'll be looking into you. Now the business we have, heretofore, you can speak with my aforementioned attorney. Good day, gentlemen; and until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone" - Ben Affleck a/k/a Chuckie Sullivan in the movie Good Will Hunting.[/b]

Sportymerc

Reaction score
From the work done, did you not see the work done on the wood and all the interior work done. There is no problems with the suspension, transmission, etc. Where in the picture is the shift boot messed up? There was a major interior overhaul just recently done on this car. Maybe you are looking at the pictures from before and have not looked at the new pictures. The documentation provided for mileage is the title that was signed over by original owner stating mileage. Also, the gauge is going to be viewed by Century BMW here in Greenville, SC as they have already seen and driven the vehicle and stated it was in great running condition. If anyone needs proof of that, I will have the owner handwrite a letter to prove. If anyone thinks this car is not worth it, then fine. We already have an offer for 13,000 from someone here in Greenville, SC who has driven the car also and loves it. We just figured it might be nice to offer it to a proud BMW lover of collectible cars.

Jonathan

Reaction score
I would take the 13K local offer and run with it. There's already been too much stir on this thread with too many questions about the car. And you will also not have to worry about shipping logistics which won't cost you money but will cost you time....

Jonathan

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sportymerc said:
From the work done, did you not see the work done on the wood and all the interior work done. There is no problems with the suspension, transmission, etc. Where in the picture is the shift boot messed up? There was a major interior overhaul just recently done on this car. Maybe you are looking at the pictures from before and have not looked at the new pictures...

Maybe the new pictures aren't on the site? The pictures we're looking at show dry cracked wood and a dash split in several places. If this is not the case, please provide new pictures so we can all sleep at night!

Dan

cd47e204a905bfdaa03ccde138041e3c.jpg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
You probably will have less criticism from this forum's members if you were to stop representing this as a mint condition coupe that's worth serious money and state this as a good condition CS that needs some work, as they say "a working project". The limited number of pictures speaks a thousand words, nothing else needs to be said. At it's present condition, take the 13K offer and run with it, it's not worth anything more.

Bert
88 M6
72 3.5 CSi