1973 CSL $285k Craigslist San Carlos

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I know of this car because of my research on headlight wipers. It has the rare cowl tank. As you can see from the pics, in the site above, it has Denver plates. It was in the hands of Dougie at the Paddock in Denver. He recommended that I reach out to Ron Perry to get in touch with the owner. So perhaps Ron is running the consignment on this one.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know of this car because of my research on headlight wipers. It has the rare cowl tank. As you can see from the pics, in the site above, it has Denver plates. It was in the hands of Dougie at the Paddock in Denver. He recommended that I reach out to Ron Perry to get in touch with the owner. So perhaps Ron is running the consignment on this one.

Unfortunately the Momo wheel and ZF box are gone......
What is your opinion of the Petri wheel, Csl or after market wrap?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Momo wheel and ZF box are gone......
What is your opinion of the Petri wheel, Csl or after market wrap?

At first glance it looks to me like an aftermarket wrap in Napa leather. The part that makes it tricky for me is this. Firstly, there are numerous purportedly genuine CSL petri wheels that don’t have the stitching on the spoke ends. Particularly on UK wheels. Secondly, the stitching does look correct along the rim. However, the CSL “euro stitch” is also the “easiest” for aftermarket shops to reproduce. It is the defacto stitch on even the poorest recovers that one sees.

My honest opinion is that given that this is an LHD car and there is no stitching on the spoke ends, plus the new grey-ish color of the leather, I would say it was a well executed recover.

Steering wheel fanatics will get goosebumps when they see nice leather patina on a steering wheel. The same way a coin collector likes to see no evidence of polishing on uncirculated coins. I personally have no concern with recovered or restored wheels for those that need it. The wheel is rare enough that finding a core is difficult, and restoring one is par for the course.

My thoughts differ on momo wheels. The stitch is hard to reproduce and done poorly 90% of the time. Few momo wheels are truly rare, so I would much rather see an unmolested original over a spruced up one or a recover.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went to see the car today. Although I am not a buyer for the car at its current price, it looks pretty good. The steering wheel looks like a 38 that has been recovered. The good—correct headliner, sun visors, flaps covering the seat tracks on the side, shift knob, Old style Alpina embossed wheels. Numbers matching engine per seller. Car looks pretty dry and solid. Interior is nice overall. Paint looks nice. The bad—regular CS carpet not lightweight. Engine probably has not been out of the car to restore the engine bay. So engine bay has some refinished components like the brake booster and coolant reservoir. Others are scruffy. Firewall insulation failing. Four bar kidney grill. Gaps around windshield rubber trim. Numbers match according to seller, but I could not verify. Car has been refurbished nicely but not rotisserie restored.