1974 CSI on Hemmings

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so, why does a beautiful '74 have vertical pleated seats instead of the horizontal pattern that a '74 should have. its also missing the door panel trims (front + back)

Last edited:

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
According to the certificate it has a build date of 28th Aug 1973 (Mine has a build date of Dec 73 and is a 435 model).

So this car is a late pre 435 car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
actually its NOT a '74. it has a 2266034 vin it is a pretty car though

I think the vertical pleats look a lot better personally. This car reminds me a lot of @Stan ’s ride. This one is very classy, very different from the CSI on BaT with the bucket seats and motorsport stripes.

I love that the e9 can look super classy or super sporty. I’m going for the super sporty look but I know that if I ever finish it, I will crave a super classy version with chrome bumpers, those vertical pleats, elegant wood, and a perfect Petri. This car really does have multiple personalities. It is a lot easier to pull off classy than sporty IMO. Some folks have had good success splitting the difference though.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
According to the certificate it has a build date of 28th Aug 1973 (Mine has a build date of Dec 73 and is a 435 model).

So this car is a late pre 435 car.
The 435 CSi and 433 CSA RHD coupes stated in production in late 73, probably Sept. And the 226 LHD CSi was produced into 1975.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so Chris, if the 226 VIN's continued ... wouldn't they have changed to the horizontal pattern? i'm with Markos that i prefer the red with vertical pattern.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Produced 8/73 it’s still a 73, not registered until around 6/74 so that is probably why they call it a 74.

And it has the pre 74 two piece trim on the dash rail and wiper speed switch on the console (I think).

day66

Reaction score
Mine's less than a hundred chassis numbers before this one and has vertical pleats and it all looks original to me.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
so, why does a beautiful '74 have vertical pleated seats instead of the horizontal pattern that a '74 should have.
That is Bulent's (Oldenzaal) personal preference. I have to admit, I prefer the vertical pleat.
O'zaal Beauty Shots  (53).jpg
O'zaal Beauty Shots  (54).jpg

I asked him about that when I saw this rare Inka E9 (BMW 3.0 CS with VIN 4300076 was produced on 4-12-1973 and delivered to BMW Dealer Autohaus Joseph Holz oHG in Lindau, Germany on 11-12-1973.):

1585652836815.png

Turns out these are the original seats/interior! It was that clean.

The Silver 3.0Csi they are currently offering has a valid certificate. The 2263882 VIN is for a '72 manufacture date, and a couple thousand units earlier than the white/red 3.0CSi VIN 2266034.
1585653513123.png

Last edited:

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My CSi is 2266099 and has an early October '73 build date FWIW. Nice car, a sunroof CSi is a bit of a unicorn. Although cladding in the trunk on the real wheels would be nice at this price. Possibly the leather was added during restoration, as there are manual windows, no air, and leather seats. While this is certainly possible, I've seen velour seats much more often with the non A/C, crank window coupes. Just my opinion of course, and we all know what that's worth :p

Last edited:

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting! I don't have enough experience or the history of production/VIN info for a qualified opinion. My CSi is only a few months younger than yours, and it's a 434 series VIN:

BMW Certificate Turkis E9.jpg

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was it typical for there to be such a big gap between production and sale (car actually wasn't registered until July '74)?