1978 Euro 635csi Dogleg Running Parts Car - Seattle - SOLD

Spen

Reaction score
Euro SALVAGE not clean (my mistake) title e12 chassis 1978 euro 635csi runs and drives.

<Clif notes>
Chassis: 5545202
Transmission: Getrag 265 Dogleg shifts good.
Engine: Unknown. Strongly Believed m90. Error it is a B35. Have to check dme variant. No L visible. No raised water jacket. Block 3.5. Vin not stamped above starter, but numbers are stamped (8-12 digits). Pulls well. Will inspect pistons and take photos.
Bumpers: Intact, good overall shape.
Diff: No markings visible in usual area.
Color: Polaris Silver repaint
Interior: Black seats, Recaro w BMW emblem. Beat up. Work. Cream white carpet. Rear seats pretty nice. No rear seat belts likely factory. No passenger mirror likey factory w block off trim in "chrome".
Exterior: Appears to have bronze glass, all good. Rear spoiler non duck style. Euro headlights (one hella lowbeam) no wipers euro turn signals.

AC car. Interior complete from what I can see. All buttons in German language. Ac fan squeaky but works. Main blower works well. Heat works. Fresh oil filter change. Temp gauge used to work but may not work anymore. Wipers also acted up and seem on all the time. Clifford alarm might cause battery draw. Alarm seems to work. Windows and sunroof all used to work. Sunroof needs some love to get back to working. Couple window switches probably need cleaned or replaced.

Rusty car, looks good from pretty close but needs rust work on chassis for sure.

Asking 6500 for it as a donor parts car.

I assume the 265 Dogleg (tested and shifts well in all gears) is probably about 3.5k. The likey m90 probably 2k. Recaro cores probably 800-1k as a guess. That leaves a lot of meat on the bone if you wanted to sell off parts and get "free sweat equity" parts.

Prefer not to part out. Would consider parting out if at least 5k in parts were sold to strong non wishy washy buyers with money upfront after we both feel comfortable.

Posting on e9 coupe because big ticket parts are probably desirable for e9 guys and it is in good shape for the good parts. Just the chassis is shot.

Photos soon. Best regards, Spence

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Spence- check the diff. LSD diffs are important.

Spen

Reaction score
If it's a LSD, it is probably worn out. It doesn't seem to be. I'll try to put it on the rack and see what's up. I'd prefer not to pull the cover. The gearing is not present in stamp form.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A Euro e12 based 635 with M90 and Recaro? Fix the rust!
That is a sweet car. I wish I still had mine...

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 52

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have bought several of these as parts cars. Don’t assume the diff is LSD. Two of them had recaros and doglegs and open diffs. The other car I bought where I was told specifically by the seller it had an LSD had you guessed it, an open diff. Doesn’t sound like it has the M90 anymore. Bummer.

Spen

Reaction score
Kohler, I will do my best to see what going on with it. I forgot to mention it has an oil cooler setup as well. I will get a better eye on the starter stamping and take some photos. I appreciate you pushing this identification phase forward a bit more... Also will get dme information as well.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Post 3 pics- Left side of block showing 3.5 (either version), Right side of block showing date and top of starter showing VIN or engine manufacturing info.
224DAA44-3D6C-4A83-A600-CBEC41D8C1F9.jpeg
5E1B9C8B-4B50-4D2A-9DE3-48733BB997F7.jpeg
309A3D04-3333-42E2-B7A4-542CDF613DE1.jpeg
56CF1BE1-B206-4A3D-9E23-B6E421153D84.jpeg

Spen

Reaction score
Little update today for those interested...

1. Casting on block in usual spot by raised or (in this case) non raised is 3.5. I will update with photo this evening.
2. Engine serial number location does not have VIN of vehicle (5545202) stamped. What it has stamped is: 40934260 (photo later).
3. Due to access for exhaust side, I have to lift up the car and didn't have time today but there is a large painted H as in Hotel right there evident via a borescope camera (all I had available in the moment) I will review the block casting date as soon as possible per SF Don's suggestions.

Spence

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s a 3430cc M30. You’d have to probably look at the pistons to know for sure but 99% sure it’s 8:1 M30B34. Definitely not the first and certainly not the last pre-9/82 635 to find one of these swapped in.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pistons should be flat or piano
Date should ‘81 or later

No dished pistons!

Spen

Reaction score
Yes, we'll see soon. Day or two max, probably Saturday. Kohler has a bet on dished. Might be able to do pistons today. Place your bets ladies and gents!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does 40934260 mean this? This serial format started in 1978 but I don’t know where it is stamped. I have only seen 55 VIN’s on the m90 starter boss, and it has been numerous back in the “find @sfdon m90 days”. :D

4 = M30
093 = Serial Number
4 = Munich
260 = Production Day 09/17/19XX

I’m going to go out on a limb backed by zero data that this is an m90. Anxious to see the pistons.

Last edited:

Spen

Reaction score
Preliminary block ID casting says (dire c rlt behind motor mount arm and not quite there yet to get it on the lift) says:

08J78

But I could be transposing and could be 87. Will get it on rack and see without mirror confusion but believe says 78. Pistons in a few hrs

Spen

Reaction score
Engine pistons appear to be m30b35 variant. Upraised not dished. Checked with borescope. Little difficult to see. Engine block is 08J87.

Spen

Reaction score
Got a better look and I am quite confident it is a B35 piston. I will also review the block lower ribbing for early vs late B35 block.

Edit: if factory mount bolts in I assume early b35 block. I don't recall seeing any later b35 ribbing.

Last edited: