2.5 cs automatic transmission

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Hi all...

My 74 2.5cs auto is a very original car and I might just keep it that way, not 100% sure yet but just considering it as an option, so today's question is ;

The auto box that's in this car?

What is it?

And what other models was it used in?

Any auto experts out there?

Thanks

Andy

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think Land Rover and Jaguar. Jaguar used BW T5 and T8 so not sure if any interchanging of parts. Main issue I have seen is the correct fluid. These use Type F. Dexron based stuff will cause slippage and overall horrific running.

I swapped out 6 quarts over a one year period and used RedLine Racing ATF and it made a world of difference.

Check this out. http://www.p6club.com/content/borg-warner-automatic-gearbox.

Last edited:

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
so its out of the car now and its not the Borg Warner, its the ZF3 HP20
also used in the E12

anyone know any more than that ?

I'm trying to assess the stay 100% original route v's the manual conversion route - cost of doing so , resale value etc etc

the rest of the car is very original, transmission and interior fabric are my big questions of the moment...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Apparently this trans was used on 2.8L e3 and e9 as well as the 2.5CS, 3.0 coupes and sedans got the BW unit.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Andy -- I pulled a ZF3-HP20 from my car and installed a five speed. The car is both lighter and easier to keep in the engine's preferred rev range.

Because your car has the 2.5L engine, I would think both of these changes would be even more pronounced if you changed to the manual.

Honolulu

Reaction score
The AT driveshaft is a close fit for the 5-speed, just have to stretch it about 3/4 inch at the splined joint. Personal conversation with Carl Nelson suggests this is okay.

When I converted from AT to 5-speed my only reference was that article. Did it myself. Bench pressing a trans when lying on your back under a car is a humbug or worse. Make a dolly that fits your trolley jack. Tilt the engine back to slide it on. When it's close to completely mating, rotate the drive flange at the rear to make the input shaft rotate, it should slide right in. I used a 2002 trans input shaft to center the new clutch, fluid reservoir from a 2002, pedals from an E3.

You'll need to read and understand the electrical diagram re function and connections of the neutral safety switch and relay, so you can remove it without disabling the car.

Search function will reveal what you need to know, but it's nothing that isn't covered in the reference article.

Additional suggestion: get a shifter for/from whatever car is most recommended. There are several to choose from.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Worse than a humbug for me - six weeks of physical therapy on my shoulder.

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
is the 265 five speeder the only option ?

great box ( I have one in my e30 M3)

is the thought of going for an original to the car 4 speed conversion crazy ?
I really want to keep the car original - so much so that I'm still considering the auto...

Honolulu

Reaction score
Andy, in the years I've been on this site, I don't remember anyone using other than the OE Getrag transmissions on coupes.

That doesn't mean one can't use a trans from another brand, just that OE is the easiest route. No adapters needed and all parts are known and (relatively) available.

Would be "interesting" to hear about a successful different installation, but not sure I'd want to be part of it when the OE route is already well documented.

And I have to add, the 2.5 CS is relatively rare to there is the "maintain originality" element to consider.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Andy. I have a 4 speed box and a manual pedal box if you are interested. Where are you? Somewhere with a giant garage by the looks of your car collection.

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Hi Andy. I have a 4 speed box and a manual pedal box if you are interested. Where are you? Somewhere with a giant garage by the looks of your car collection.

Hey Gazz, Perth, two not so giant garages, very tightly packed and some of the collection have to "sleep rough"
the herd definitely needs thinning.....

might be interested - what sort of price you thinking ?

Last edited:

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Andy, in the years I've been on this site, I don't remember anyone using other than the OE Getrag transmissions on coupes.

That doesn't mean one can't use a trans from another brand, just that OE is the easiest route. No adapters needed and all parts are known and (relatively) available.

Would be "interesting" to hear about a successful different installation, but not sure I'd want to be part of it when the OE route is already well documented.

And I have to add, the 2.5 CS is relatively rare to there is the "maintain originality" element to consider.
Most definitely Not talking about going non OE - just if I'm staying Original Automatic (ZF) or a Getrag Manual Conversion...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The original Getrag four speed is not crazy. The main advantage of the five speeds is they allow for lower revs on long drives, making for better fuel economy and less road noise.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Gazz, Perth, two not so giant garages, very tightly packed and some of the collection have to "sleep rough"
the heard definitely needs thinning.....

might be interested - what sort of price you thinking ?

How does $500 plus shipping for the two sound? I'll also throw in a speedo drive cable and a gearbox mount bracket, though you will have to source a gearbox speedo drive.