2275519 CSL Bat

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
I am preparing to remove the outer alloy sill covers on my bat so that I can straighten and re proof the areas that have been mildly attacked by trolley jacks around the jacking points for and aft.

My question is once the outer alloy sill covers are removed one is faced with the outer sills proper, when the car left the factory would these outer sills have been painted in the body colour (polaris silver) or would they have been painted black?

Merry Xmas to all...

Thanks

Richard

gazzol

Reaction score
I hate contradicting any one but I think the real sill (under the cover) would be body colour. I doubt that Karman would have got involved with a seperate paint process just to paint something that wouldn't be seen. My guess is that they were sprayed at the same time as the car and would have been left that way.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
rocker area beneath outer rocker covers

as you suspect--to be best of my knowledge and observation of that area since first seeing it uncovered in 1978--the rocker area proper is painted in the body color as with all other structural body parts--

the outer rocker covers were originally black and were coated/covered in the rubberized coating some called rock chip coating--the same as that found on the body proper at the front valance below the bumper, behind the rear wheels up to the lower fender/wing crease and on the rear valance below the rear bumper on all regular e-9's--possibly left bare--in the interest of weight saving--on the light-weight CSL--a check with BMW Mobile Traditions would likely confirm the correct treatment on your CSL.

DJSimca

Reaction score
I took the left alloy sill cover off my CSL a couple of years back ... underneath the body sills were painted in body colour :)