2285467 is finally painted...

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
i-nJB9wdt-X4.jpg

Slow and expensive progress. But progress...

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes - fijord blue as per the original paint colour. I was really tempted to go turkis, really tempted... but at the end of the day I felt it was better to keep it original and I do really like the colour. no idea when/if I will get the rest of it together! Work leave pretty much no time at the moment but I will be more than happy to have it in the garage to look at and do bits and bobs when I can. Kind of thinking of it as a retirement project!

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Funny how these cars look so darn good just as a painted shell. It’s especially true when it’s beautiful paintwork in a fabulous color. I would be tempted to just admire it as garage sculpture for a bit.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, I remember the day mine came out of the paint shop looking just like this - aaallllll those years ago and still not finished. Do you get to keep the trolley? If not I do suggest getting the front and rear sub frames on asap so that it's mobile. Not as big a job as you may imagine and can be done by one person with a trolley jack, as I did.

Fjords character changes dramatically in sunlight.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
hey. the dolly is mine - it was on it when I bought the shell and the 40 fish bins on unsorted/unlabelled parts! (hence my predicted long timeframe!!!). I am going to try to get the suspension before I move it though. It is a nice colour!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought mine completely, and I mean completely, disassembled so I know what you are looking at. DON'T throw anything out until you are 100% finished. What may appear to be a part that goes nowhere is a part that goes somewhere. You will be doing a lot of searching through those bins so try to retain in your memory everything you look at. You'll have plenty of "I know what that's for now" moments. If you haven't done an assembly before then research research research. Plenty of information on this site. RealOem is very helpful, and get the blue books if you don't already have them. The later editions are the best.
Don't be shy to post even dumb questions on this site, they're a great bunch of guys. MtW ( Marcos the Wise ) knows everything.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your car looks great. Staying with the original color was a wise choice. What will be the interior color? My car was Agave green originally and painted dark blue before I chose Turkis since it was a correct color option in 1973.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Turkis is AWESOME - I was very tempted! It is a CSL so the interior pretty much has to be black/grey. I actually much prefer the standard csi leather interior in black - I can hardly squeeze my arse into the sheel seats!

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a pair of very good condition rear seats in original black if you are interested.
The CSL rears I have are odd - they look to be original but they are all vinyl - no cloth centres. The panel spacing of the middle bit is as per normal CSL ones though. No idea what that is about - I will be getting them all re upholstered anyway I guess. The only important part my car was missing was the front scheels but I found a pair on ebay in the USA in good order (although one needs a bolster refoaming). Not cheap but kind of necessary I guess! As I say, I prefer the normal CS interior in leather if I am honest. If you have CSL rears in good order I would be interested in having a look. PM me. cheers!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are full vinyl standard CS rears. Keep them in mind just in case. Since you have a CSL you will probably want to go original look.