25 Year Rule

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If I want to buy a car in Japan that is a model year 1993, can I buy it now and put it on a boat knowing it won't arrive to the East Coast until 2018 or does the 25 year rule apply to the build date of the vehicle and/or the purchase date, shipping date, etc.?

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat (no pun intended) bringing my M5 3.8 back from Europe. My interpretation is the earliest date you can prove. First registered or manufactured. I’m getting the production certificate from BMW Classic so I can use the production date to import mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was actually looking to import a few Subaru Sambars. We need a shop truck and it would be a straight forward conversion to electric. It seems like the 93’s and 94’s are cheaper because they have not hit the 25 year mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Except your coupe is a 1970, 0038 is an early US coupe.

I wondered about that. Maybe it languished on the lot for so long, it was registered as a 1971?

IMG_8596.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All US BMWs had a DOT/EPA sticker under the hood defining the model year so that is not possible. In Europe yes, when it was sold sometimes defines model year. Do you still have the sticker, I think it is black on the early coupes, in front of windshield?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
All US BMWs had a DOT/EPA sticker under the hood defining the model year so that is not possible. In Europe yes, when it was sold sometimes defines model year. Do you still have the sticker, I think it is black on the early coupes, in front of windshield?

I'll take a look but I don't recall such a sticker