Not your everyday 265

Not to bad of a deal, Vac sells them for $11.000

fd08c43fb0e5b2a89e98204b441e2b57.png

7b609fef276af5daefbe68536c2d3113.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't I just saying yesterday that I want a dogleg dogbox? Honestly I wasn't joking. I didn't know that you could get one for the 265/5 though.

This is a nice little video that shows how a dogbox performs on the street. Most of the videos are obnoxious drift kiddies tearing up their neighborhood.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
You don’t really want a dog-engagement gearbox for the street, do you? Yes it is possible to do and it would be a novelty you could show off to your pals, but then what?

Are you ready and willing to deal with the higher maintenance and driving inconvenience? I’m sure Mario or the guys at places like Racecraft know who makes custom clear clusters with synchro or dog engagement gears. I have one and would swap in my race car but would swap in my spare not-super-close-ratio synchro box for non-track duty

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So what is the point of a dog box?

Unless you are racing it is a novelty. Faster more precise shifting. More room in the gearbox for beefier gears (if they are made). You don’t need to use the clutch.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
if you don’t shift them well, the dogs can wear out pretty quickly. There are typically only 4 dogs on a ring rather than multiple 10’s of synchro cones. Round off those 4 corners and it’s going to start popping out of gear. Dog rings are Easy to replace in a hewland because the trans stick out the back of the car. Not so easy on a front engine rear wheel drive car. I have friends who need new dog rings every 2-3 race weekends (12-15 hours of track time). Think about what it means to drop and rebuild a trans that often... they really aren’t for everyone, even in a race situation.

Dog ring engagement provides significantly faster up shifting as you only have to lift off the gas enough (or brush the throttle with the side of your foot) to unload them a bit and then you move the lever as fast as you humanly can. the faster you shift the less wear you put on the rings. It’s almost like power shifting when going up thru the gears. Left foot braking is quite handy with dog boxes: right foot matches revs independently of the left foot threshold or trail braking you into a corner. I can’t always doing this well when “in heavy traffic,” because my damn feet have done right foot braking for nearly 43 years.

As far as stronger, that usually comes from the use of straight cut gears, but the whine may drive you nuts without ear plugs.

Finally, it could be argued that Synchros provide a bit of unintentional safety factor in the heat of a race. It’s pretty hard to accidentally go from 4th to 1st in a synchro box. The synchros will warn you by giving more resistance trying to overcome the huge speed differential. Also the slightly slower shift gives you a split second to think, “did I just miss 4th and catch 2nd?” Plus, you aren’t really screwed on a missed shift until you let up the clutch pedal. On a dog box, once you’ve slammed it into the wrong gear (remember, you are shifting as fast as you can possibly move the dang lever), you get HOOKED UP, NOW. Grab the wrong gear at really high revs and you may instantly break the rear end loose and/or blow up the motor. There is very little forgiveness.

It’s pretty exciting the first time this happens to you at 85mph going into a corner. My dirty little secret is that I once saw 10,000rpm on a f*cked up down shift because my gearshift platform moved a bit during a race at WG (Al Taylor knows what I’m talking about) . I got a red hat and shiny bauble and the motor survived the abuse (but it bent both camshafts slightly).

Forget the coolness factor and stick with normal synchros.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This may be an obvious or newbie question, but there is a difference between a "dogleg" gear pattern and a "dog box" transmission, yes? I have a Getrag 265 5-speed transmission with a dog leg pattern, but to my knowledge it operates like any manual transmission (which is to say, I believe it has synchros, etc). I haven't driven the car very much at all - just some test laps around the block and onto trailers. But It seemed to operate like any other manual (save for the pattern). Thanks in advance for the schoolin' :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This may be an obvious or newbie question, but there is a difference between a "dogleg" gear pattern and a "dog box" transmission, yes? I have a Getrag 265 5-speed transmission with a dog leg pattern, but to my knowledge it operates like any manual transmission (which is to say, I believe it has synchros, etc). I haven't driven the car very much at all - just some test laps around the block and onto trailers. But It seemed to operate like any other manual (save for the pattern). Thanks in advance for the schoolin' :D

Yeah two different things. Dogleg refers to the shift pattern of first to the lower left. A dog box is any transmission that uses dogs instead of syncros to mesh the gears. I have no idea why they are called dogs.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dog leg - refers the tha part of a dogs anatomy which resembles the zig-zag pattern to get into first gear from neutral (or from neutral to second). Eg a dogs hind leg.

Dog Ring -refers to the way a dogs upper and lower (side) teeth mesh or interlock together (matching teeth and voids). This is kind of a general term for the teeth on a gear.

FWIW, the sequential dog ring engagement boxes fix the problem of missing shifts that I previously described. I’m not aware of one that is readily available for E9’s. You guys who ride motorcycles are already used to this type of transmission.