2800 (edit: fjord) with 3.3 engine on BaT

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Underhood pic shows a Fjord color sticker....
New turn signal stalk will be installed next month....

California Bureau of Automotive Repair tag....???? Wonder what's up with that...??

Looks like a decent car - but the amateur pics and lack of clarity of the car and its history are not going to do it any favors....

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder if the trunk "indicator" switch is the light switch inside the trunk. If its inoperative, problem may be a simple as a missing screw.

Also odd that the indicator stalk was replaced in Feb, and yet a brand new one in the bag is pictured in the gallery.

Still, a nice looking car.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There's a photo of the car in motion. Speedometer shows about 72mph, and the tach reads about 2,600rpm. With a 4-speed transmission that doesn't seem right to me. Does that match anyone else's experience/gearing? That should be about 3,500rpm if it has a 3.64, but as an original 2800CS I assume it has a 3.45 which would put the rpms at about 3,300rpm at that speed. Maybe the driver depressed the clutch and caught the photo with the engine spinning down.?.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also odd that the indicator stalk was replaced in Feb, and yet a brand new one in the bag is pictures in the gallery.

BaT's copy reads "A stock turn signal switch was reportedly installed in February 2022"

So, the one pictured is PLANNED to be installed next month, or it's a picture of the one that was installed last year, or the owner bought 2 last year and has an extra that will be included with the sale. o_O

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
BaT's copy reads "A stock turn signal switch was reportedly installed in February 2022"

So, the one pictured is PLANNED to be installed next month, or it's a picture of the one that was installed last year, or the owner bought 2 last year and has an extra that will be included with the sale. o_O
OMG - this can only mean one thing - BAT has unlocked the secret to time travel and did the write up from the future! I'm certainly not going to participate in any of their auctions now. Who knows what kind of shenanigans they'll get up to.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It’s said that “Later style” disk brakes were installed in the 90’s. You think they could be a bit more specific. How hard is it to say rear factory drums were upgraded to disks? Photos clearly show rear disks. Seems like an important selling point worth mentioning.

I‘ve got a new drinking game. Every time BAT uses the words “Reportedly“ or “It’s said to have” in it‘s description, One takes a shot.
Nah never mind, I wouldn’t last through one auction.:(

tightbox

Reaction score
California Bureau of Automotive Repair tag....???? Wonder what's up with that...??

Looks like a decent car - but the amateur pics and lack of clarity of the car and its history are not going to do it any favors....

I believe that is a CA “CARB” sticker.

These are incredibly valuable (think $10k+ to CA buyers) on old imported G-wagons with engine swaps to ensure they can be easily registered/plated in CA.

The odd thing is that this car should be old enough to be grandfathered in, and therefore not need a CARB sticker to qualify. The CARB approval process is a PITA, takes months to complete, and is very expensive.

RE: pictures
Seller, if you’re reading this thread, immediately find a competent local photographer and pay them $300-500 for a quality photo shoot. I guarantee you it will return 10x that amount in your final hammer price!

Pretty car, GLWA!

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

These are incredibly valuable (think $10k+ to CA buyers) on old imported G-wagons with engine swaps to ensure they can be easily registered/plated in CA.

The odd thing is that this car should be old enough to be grandfathered in, and therefore not need a CARB sticker to qualify. The CARB approval process is a PITA, takes months to complete, and is very expensive.

Seller, if you’re reading this thread, immediately find a competent local photographer and pay them $300-500 for a quality photo shoot. I guarantee you it will return 10x that amount in your final hammer price!

Pretty car, GLWA!
I spoke with the seller yesterday, he gave me his email. I'll pass this along.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score

Pretty car, GLWA!
True statement. I would add-in ca, where a lot of vintage cars (just old back then) and Porsches where stolen for engines back in the 80’s, once the engine was shot, they weren’t of value to repair. it was a big deal to have it on swaps. I heard stories of people getting pulled over and needed to verify engine vins. Accurate?? My 68 911 has one, showing the new err engine, this confuses people today. I don’t think you would want to do this today, big can of worms and I don’t think you would be able to operate the car till clear?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My buddy has a 73 911 that's been, uh slightly modified w a 100k 4.1L 993 (based) motor and he's VERY protective of his Carb sticker!

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

NMNA.

What's a "trunk indicator switch"?
Could that "trunk indicator switch" be the one that releases the Trunk Monkey to protect that CA Carb sticker??

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
I believe the ad was referrring to a TURN indicator switch rather than a trunk indicator switch since the new switch is pictured. It was simply a typo.