2800 Why so underrated?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There's a new white 2800 on BAT.

Why doesn't the 2800 get the respect that the 3.0's do?
In the big picture it's not that much difference in power. 20 HP? Some lower torque but the M30 motors have pretty good torque anyhow.
Yes, it's and automatic. Not great for you ego but some 20 somethings wife could drive it.

This poor car on BAT is getting slammed so hard. I get it. I just finished a 4 year rebuild (notice I don't say restoration).
This little car with a young guy, some basic mechanical skills, some energy, money and help from the guru's on here could have a nice driver.
The basic bones are there and probably some rust of course.
Slamming the fit of the hood and doors. Really? These bodies were not built by Rolls Royce. The car is 49 years old.
It has had some unfortunate people work on it and yet many parts were bought from La Jolla and Carl. Just that he didn't work on the car.
Some is not explained very well either. Always a problem with BAT auctions.
It's at $20k today and probably what it is worth but being in CA it will probably go higher.

So many critics in this world. Your glass is half empty.
Stepping down off the soap box now. LOL
Gary

jmackro

Reaction score
I too own a 2800CS, so I share some of your sympathies.

However, upon reading through the BaT community's comments about the car, I'd say that most of them pertain to this car's condition and history - not to its displacement. Put simply, this car has a lot of "stories". The fact that it's an automatic contributes to its lack of respect. The condition of the engine is worrisome - maybe the seller has overcome all the defects, but you have to wonder. Statements like: "The car is equipped with electric windows as well as a heater, air conditioner, and radio, all of which are inoperable" don't inspire confidence.

Clearly that the seller has dumped a lot of money into this car already, would have to invest even more to get it to "A-1" condition, so he's probably just trying to cut his losses. But BaT seems to have become a venue for people looking for investment-grade cars - not projects. So maybe this is simply a case of trying to sell the car through the wrong channel.

Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree with Jay, I think the activity so far is narrowed to this specific car not the 2800 badge it wears. This one is a bit rougher than most sold here, but still a good car. As with any BAT auction its not over till its over, only two people have to want it. ;)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just seems that the attitude for the 2800 starts lower all the time. My friends Don Bower and George Whiteley both have beautiful 2800's. I've heard Don mention the 2800 lower price conundrum a few times. Just an observation.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it's more about the specific car in question, other 2800CS's has done well on earlier auctions, the CSi's seems to bring more in general but still very depending on condition.

$70k in 2018

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The shifter knob for that automatic is beautiful. I had the same one when my car was automatic... Small is beautiful and sends a "treat me gently" message to the driver right from the moment you get the car moving.

The only problem may be the color, my wife says white only works for small cars, else they look like refrigerators on wheels. Except for Stan's beautiful E9 that solved it with his red interior :).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know of two 2800CS sales within the past two years at $80k. It’s all about condition, those who post on BaT generally know little about the e9 yet tell everyone about rust. And the US 2.8 at 9.0:1 and 3.0 at 8.0:1 both have 170hp.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
As much as I liked raised white letter tires when I was younger, the BFG radial TAs didn't do this car any favors.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sold for $26,000. Probably a good deal for the buyer - corrosion didn't look too bad from the photos. Not a great deal for the seller, but if he's a "checkbook mechanic" he probably couldn't have netted more by fixing some of the defects.

Actually, it didn't sell. It bid to $26,000 but didn't meet the seller's reserve.

shanon

Reaction score
Agree that this particular example didn't meet its potential. Personally happen to prefer the earlier 2800cs to the later models. Its the original design vision before the bean counters started cutting corners on the trim material qualities and Feds tacked on more BS. As we know, the body is the same and parts/motors can be sourced and bolted on.

Hopefully it will find a home with someone that likes to tinker and actually use. I didn't see anything that a little time and energy cant resolve. We all know these cars go sideways and get under water fast for those don't/can't wrench or tinker.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just seems that the attitude for the 2800 starts lower all the time. My friends Don Bower and George Whiteley both have beautiful 2800's. I've heard Don mention the 2800 lower price conundrum a few times. Just an observation.
i have a 2800cs too, that will soon be beautiful. there is little difference, primary is smaller displacement / higher compression ... and rear drum brakes. other minor differences. i don't get the value discrepancy either and think its a bit ridiculous.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think people typically put too much importance on numbers and specs and not enough on real world performance. In this regard the 2800 appears inferior.

Understandable as many of us were trained to appreciate sporty cars by looking at specs in R&T and Car and Driver test reviews.

In reality, I have a Hard time imagining the average E9 owner over-driving a well maintained rear drum brake system, but it’s CW that 4 discs are better and vented discs are even better, and drilled slotted with ceramic-carbon-titanium-moon-rock pads are even better... theoretically.

In the Alfa/Porsche world, earlier is almost always better and more valuable due to rarity and closeness to the original designers vision.

FWIW, The best E3 I’ve ever experienced was a 1969 2800. I thought it was faster and handled better than any of the later 3.0 cars. Or maybe my HS/College buddy was just a better driver than most.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one's 'butt' dyno will always make the 2800 engine seem quicker as the higher compression allows it to wind up quicker ... so does the CSi. i have always heard from people collecting - is to buy the first version or the final version. not sure that applies to the US coupe or the US 2002, there are somethings better about those late models, the big bumpers aren't one of them.

my e3 was a 73, and at that time preferred it to the earlier versions - especially the C pillar vents. i did like the leather interior in the 3.0si ... now i prefer the look and details of the early 2800 e3.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Haggerty has 2800s sell for a little less than 3.0s.

Maybe Im biased, but I'd rather have a 2800 than a 1973 w/its extended bumpers, or a 1974 w/the diving boards.

Unless of course, it's a CSi, then 73-74 are preferred.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having had both a '71 and a '73 'back in the day' when they were each less than 4 years old, If I could have 'built one' to my taste, I'd have picked the 2800 engine, and the 3.0 rear suspension with disk brakes and a manual 4 speed. The 2800 engine really revs nicely, and it is not a drag racing car, so the difference in torque wasn't that much. Of course, it would have pre-73 bumpers and no side reflectors along with triple Webers as well!

Gary

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One thing that I found is that the 2.8L motor seems smoother and I do enjoy driving it. (With the ZF four speed of course!)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
At the BMWCCA Oktoberfest in Monterey in 2016 I attended a talk with a fella from Hagerty who was there to discuss values. After his talk, I went up and asked him why 2800CS prices (in their guide) are about 20% less than what they have for the 3.0CS's - both with carbs.

He didn't really have much to say - I mentioned that these are 98% the same with only minor differences between the two. He did acknowledge that the CSi's are a premium over both these (as did I) - but I got the idea he really didn't have a good reason for the value difference otherwise. I think it is kind of circular argument - if they have the price guide with this difference, then the values kind of follow along. Since the values are what they are - then the price guide goes that way too.

IMO - These cars are so similar that one needs to value them on condition (and color/trans/features - ect). The specific year in and of itself really is not an issue.
On a side note - I had a 2002 for 30 years before I bought the Coupe... The argument between round and square tail lights are similar (aside from the smog rules in sates that have issues with 1975 or 1976 cars - that DOES affect value somewhat for cars in those areas)

YMMV as always...