3.0cs break caliper problem solved

richrfd

Reaction score
taking the break calipers apart is a challenge but even more difficult is removing the pistons . New calipers are difficult to find so we have to start rebuilding our own. I invented a way to remove them myself . heres how. Take the caliper apart , put the half in the vise with pistons facing up. Nowget a pair of vise grips and grind a grove at the tip of both jaws put it over the lip of the caliper vise grips are now clamped andin a verticle position. Now slip a bar through the vise grips . I used a carpenters cats paw, and tap upward the switch the bar to the other side tap tap upward keep alternating bar . The piston should cone out . good luck

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll just add that pistons are already setup to remove themselves. You can use your existing brake pressure or a grease gun to push them out.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I indeed did it more or less as Markos described. I used compressed air.
In the pic of Marcos is a steel piece. I'd use a wood piece. Also it is easier if you leave the halves together. Pop one side half out, blocking it with a wooden plank ( ~1 inch thick 20 mm) so it doesn't travel too far to create an airgap. Continue to build up pressure and the second one will dislodge and hit the wooden block on the other side. Replace with a thinner wood piece to allow both pistons to travel to the middle position.

Fluid gives less 'bang' (as the pressure imidiatly goed to zero once there' s an opening), but using air gives less mess...

Erik.

pic included for reference; showing step two with a thin wooden stick.

Attachments

• 20150119_222016.jpg
    20150119_222016.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited: