3.3Li

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear All,

Firstly, great idea this E3 Discussion, thank you to whoever initiated it.

As a fairly recent addition to the USA I have a question which may seem really dumb, but as the answer evades me, where better to ask.

Was the 3.3Li sold new in the USA?

I would love to find a really nice one, but they all seem to be in Europe.

Thanks

Pete

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pete,

The 3.3Li was never officially imported to the US. The last if the e3's imported was the 3.0si in 1976 (with the big US spec bumpers).

I recall seeing a dark blue grey market import 3.3Li on ebay about 6 or 7 years ago that sold for over 7K. I think it was in the midwest.

There were only 3000 built so they'll be hard to find in the US.

John M

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is really helpful gents.

Thank you for the info John and love the eye candy Luis, although "ouch" at the price.

Pete

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is bad...now I want a Bavaria /E3. I certainly remember how robust the bodies were.

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
3,3 Li/LiA

As regards the E3 flagship model 3.3 Li/LiA, the following cars were built:

BMW 3,3 Li: 477 cars between 1/74-7/75
BMW 3,3 LiA: 702 cars between 1/75-1/77
BMW 3,3 LiA RHD: 222 cars between 10/75 - 2/77

Some very nice color combos exist: Red met/White or Beige leather, Red met/Black leather, Black met/White or Beige leather, Dark blue met/White leather etc. The Swedish pop group ABBA drove a 3,3 LA in Dark blue met with White leather. They kept the car until 1984 when it was sold to a BMW freak in Sweden...

Normally the cars were fully equipped (power steering, power windows, power mirror(s), rear reading lights, front fog lights, automatic antenna etc). Options, to pay for, were the following:

- Leather seats
- Power sunroof
- A/C
- Tow bar
- Various car stereos (normally Blaupunkt Bamberg with micro)

The price new of the 3,3 Li/LiA versions were the following (DM):

LiA: 42 960 (8/75)
Li/LiA: 44 900 (5/76)
LiA: 44 900 (8/76)

Interesting to note is that the CSL had a price tag of 42 260 DM in 8/75

The Li/LiA is very nice to drive and it's more and more appreciated. As there are so few of them, the prices are instantly rising. Experts predict the Li/LiA to be a real collectors car, with a very rapid price evaluation towards the north. I wld not be surprised if we see top cars priced about 100k euro within the mid-term future.

More E3 stats: http://www.bmw-e3-club.de/e3bmw/fahrgestellnummer.html

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
3.3 li

A superb nice saloon and very expensive when new.
Mine could be for sale, it's a rare manual, all options, fjord with blue leather.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Luis A:

Actually, the car in the ad is not a Li. You can see this on the missing double-pipe exhaust, which was standard only for the Li. After contacting the seller, they have changed the ad.

It's a very nice 3,3 L (although with an injection engine instead of carb). Due to the VIN of this car, it should be a 3,3 LA (Automatic) from factory.

Lorenzo: early or late one - please PM me the VIN (3080xxx).

3,3 Li "Art Car": http://graemehunt.com/motorcar/92/1975-bmw-art-car-3-3li-lhd-manual-by-dexter-brown

Grazie mille

Henric

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
You guys are the best.

Thank you for this detailed info Henric, much apprieciated.

Very interesting car at Greame Hunt, I see its already sold.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving to any Americans on this thread.

Peter

RonP

Reaction score
The blue car on ebay a few years ago is now living in Monterey, Ca. It belongs to a friend of mine. He has put a new engine in it, and changed the paint under the hood back to Anthricite Grey. Next will be taking the car back to it's original color. Very cool car. I tried to buy one back in the mid 80s, but couldn't come to terms with the seller. It was pretty rusty and finally ended up getting parted out. It was Reseda Green with Black leather.

siscobmw

Reaction score
Wow. Beautiful. But, 28,800 euros seems a bit high.

After a little research: there were 3023 e3 3.0L's built but only 1406 of those were 197hp L-jetronic equiped 3.3Li's.

John M
see production figures that csl1973 wrote ...they are correct.
about the blue car I think you're talking about this one. never had the chance to ask the VIn to the new owner for the 3.3L/li registry I am trying to do....
12822d1096406848-1976-3-3li-help-determining-value-06_12_sb.jpg

The blue car on ebay a few years ago is now living in Monterey, Ca. It belongs to a friend of mine. He has put a new engine in it, and changed the paint under the hood back to Anthricite Grey. Next will be taking the car back to it's original color. Very cool car. I tried to buy one back in the mid 80s, but couldn't come to terms with the seller. It was pretty rusty and finally ended up getting parted out. It was Reseda Green with Black leather.

As regards the E3 flagship model 3.3 Li/LiA, the following cars were built:

BMW 3,3 Li: 477 cars between 1/74-7/75
BMW 3,3 LiA: 702 cars between 1/75-1/77
BMW 3,3 LiA RHD: 222 cars between 10/75 - 2/77
Some very nice color combos exist: Red met/White or Beige leather, Red met/Black leather, Black met/White or Beige leather, Dark blue met/White leather etc. The Swedish pop group ABBA drove a 3,3 LA in Dark blue met with White leather. They kept the car until 1984 when it was sold to a BMW freak in Sweden...

Normally the cars were fully equipped (power steering, power windows, power mirror(s), rear reading lights, front fog lights, automatic antenna etc). Options, to pay for, were the following:
- Leather seats
- Power sunroof
- A/C
- Tow bar
- Various car stereos (normally Blaupunkt Bamberg with micro)
The price new of the 3,3 Li/LiA versions were the following (DM):

LiA: 42 960 (8/75)
Li/LiA: 44 900 (5/76)
LiA: 44 900 (8/76)

Interesting to note is that the CSL had a price tag of 42 260 DM in 8/75

The Li/LiA is very nice to drive and it's more and more appreciated. As there are so few of them, the prices are instantly rising. Experts predict the Li/LiA to be a real collectors car, with a very rapid price evaluation towards the north. I wld not be surprised if we see top cars priced about 100k euro within the mid-term future.

More E3 stats: http://www.bmw-e3-club.de/e3bmw/fahrgestellnummer.html
Cheers
Henric

perfect, you wrote about everything a wannabe-owner should know...
just one thing....or two:

- Leather seats,Power sunroof,A/C,Tow bar,foglights,stereo and headlightwipers were standard on 3.3L for south europe, north europe sometimes had the a/c for standard...after the introduction of 3.3Li not every car had sunroof or the a/c...
stereo radio , standard , was becker grand prix stereo on early 3.3L, 3.3Li were factory fitted instead with blaupunkt frankfurt....usually owners wanted the best for those days, and like henric said, the put blaupunkt bamberg with microphone,3 band radio and cassette player..
in some country , like italy france and spain, you could get manual version with no charge, the same for velour seats...so you should get 3.3L or Li automatic with leather as standard delivery....
can't see the VIn of that granatrot 3.3L but , if the car was built in 6/1974, this is a real mix between 3.3Li and a L, seats are the same as 3.3Liwith narrower headrests support, engine is from a 3.3Li, exhaust is from a carb model like henric wrote,it daoes not have foglights and headlightwipers(fast repair after a front accident???) ....
if you think that is a bit too expensive.....well just look at this:
http://www.bavariaclassic.com/car-offers/bmw-3-3-li
and this is not perfect, also........

for the roadtest:

http://classicandvintagebmw.tumblr.com/1973ams3.3lroadtest

francesco

Last edited: