5 hole Alpina wheels

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in recent conversations with a few forum members, and the search for 5 hole - 14" alpina wheels. we learned that there are 3 versions, all of which we know are relatively rare. a few sets that have come up for sale have a bmw logo on them - we thought that odd, because we hadn't seen that before. our friend @Keshav has told us that is the late version. so i am trying to gather more information to update our the FAQ - Wheel + Tire Sizes / Options thread along with production dates. thanks to @Keshav, @tferrer , @Markos + @Stevhose for sharing information about what is what. if you want to see some pictures, look at the 14" wheel section on https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/wheel-tire-sizes-options.35362/

here are the basics of what we have learned
version 1 - p/n 2800806 - kba (none) - bmw logo (none) - carb CSL
version 2 - p/n 2800806 - kba# 1110344 - bmw logo (none) - 2275xxx CSL
version 3 - p/n 2800806 - kba# 1110345 - bmw logo (yes) - BAT CSL ... color at lug nuts is gray, rather than satin black

another thing that we have discovered in looking at pics of the 5 hole alpina wheels - the relationship between the alpina logo and the valve stem hole tends to vary - probably a function of the casting setup.
if the valve stem hole is at "6:00", the 3 versions of ALPINA have appeared at 11:30 / 2:00 and 7:00. as you see on the one with the BMW logo below,

1605190622151.png

the ALPINA is at 2:00. the entire set of these was just sold - all of the Alpina logo were at 2:00 and were manufactured 4/73. if the logo is only on the last version, i have seen the alpina logo / valve stem hole in 2 configurations - one at 11:30 and another one at 2:00. i have seen pictures of the version 2 wheels at all 3 positions and one of the version 2 wheels had a date of 3/73

IMHO, just to make it more difficult - you do get extra points for this ... not only should you look for a set that has the same date code, you want to be sure that the ALPINA / valve stem hole relationship is consistent.

so here is the request - people with 5 hole alpinas - does the relation of the alpina / valve stem hole stay consistent within your car? is the date code the same? curious if there is some pattern. please let me know what you find

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @rsporsche,

As you know you have my info, but here it is for the good of the forum. My wheels are a matching set from 08/72. We have identified them as Version 2 above. With the tire valve at 6PM, the alpina logo is at 7PM. These came off of a RHD CSL being converted to group spec (not sure what group). The car was complete, and I took the wheels among other CSL goodies. Point being that I have no reason to believe they aren’t original.

As I have mentioned, my logos are worn to a knub. They commented on how rough the casting was. I’m not sure if they were restored in the past, or if the shop media blasted the wheels despite me insisting otherwise. I shipped them directly to the area so I didn’t get a great set of “before” pics.

I’m thought that the engraving was from the wheel shop that restored them for me (Hayward Wheel). Seems like it is a factory / alpina thing as they all have the engraving.
9077107E-8DF4-498B-846D-C89AA6C3BF90.jpeg

25E3D1CA-A976-413D-8462-206AB96DCC22.jpeg

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These wheels need to go back on a RHD CSL ... where they belong and the way they left the factory !!!!

I think your wheels would look good on my E9 lol

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its very interesting that we have seen v3 - 4/73 wheels with the BMW logo and 8/73 wheels without the BMW logo. perhaps they were being made in separate factories. i know of several other v2 wheels that were made between 2/73 and 8/73. so it really makes me curious about the various v3 wheels. please note that i have seen the v3 wheels from 3 different sources

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You mean 8/72?

Hi @rsporsche,

As you know you have my info, but here it is for the good of the forum. My wheels are a matching set from 08/73. We have identified them as Version 2 above. With the tire valve at 6PM, the alpina logo is at 7PM. These came off of a RHD CSL being converted to group spec (not sure what group). The car was complete, and I took the wheels among other CSL goodies. Point being that I have no reason to believe they aren’t original.

As I have mentioned, my logos are worn to a knub. They commented on how rough the casting was. I’m not sure if they were restored in the past, or if the shop media blasted the wheels despite me insisting otherwise. I shipped them directly to the area so I didn’t get a great set of “before” pics.

I’m fairly certain that the engraving is from the wheel shop that restored them for me (Hayward Wheel

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
its very interesting that we have seen 4/73 wheels with the BMW logo and 8/73 wheels without the BMW logo. perhaps they were being made in separate factories. i know of several other v2 wheels that were made between 2/73 and 8/73. so it really makes me curious about the various v3 wheels.

That was my typo sorry.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Stevehose - do you have a closeup of the hub of one of your wheels. in the pics that we have, we see the alpina logo, the size and the P/N 2800806 ... but we weren't able to see the KBA# - 1110344. can you please verify if that nunber is there ... we were thinking that you have the v1 since we didn't see the KBA number. if there is no KBA number, we would like to see a pic of the date code.

thanks
scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Confirmed 110344
Looks like I have 280020

I’ll have to look for an old pic of the date codes, I can’t see them when on the car.

FAA4C2FD-B00A-4F90-903B-D7D570CCB725.jpeg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
So after much hunting I've managed to pull together five 5-hole Alpina wheels made in 72 from the 4 corners of the globe. It wasn't pretty (nor cheap) but I have them all in my garage now.

Couple interesting items. The wheels are not the same date code but all are from 72 and have the same KBA numbers and all have the same orientation of the Alpina logo to the tire valve at 7pm. The range of dates is 2/72, 7/72, 8/72, 9/72 and 12/72.
NOTE: If someone needs the 2/72 for an early build, I'd trade for an 7,8 or 9/72 wheel in like condition. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Also as Andreas mentioned above, the early wheels seem to all have a different fin profile where it meets the rim. The fin stands proud by 10mm vs 5mm mm for all the other later wheels (pictured above)
. Not sure of the cut off date but most Alpinas I see are from 73 and all of those have the shorter, 5mm fins.

20210416_142949.jpg
20210416_142912.jpg
20210416_142547.jpg
20210416_141545.jpg

Attachments

• 20210416_142907.jpg
    20210416_142907.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool thanks for sharing @tferrer. I’ve mentioned this before, but during our wheel hunting escapades of the last six months I’ve confirmed the following. The 344 castings are very faint. I was initially concerned with my wheels given how difficult it is to see the lug info. After looking at multiple sets including yours, this seems to be a recurring phenomenon. I do still believe that mine have seen abrasives, but there wasn’t much material to work with from the start.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool thanks for sharing @tferrer. I’ve mentioned this before, but during our wheel hunting escapades of the last six months I’ve confirmed the following. The 344 castings are very faint. I was initially concerned with my wheels given how difficult it is to see the lug info. After looking at multiple sets including yours, this seems to be a recurring phenomenon. I do still believe that mine have seen abrasives, but there wasn’t much material to work with from the start.

I thought a couple of my wheels had been sand blasted with faint castings. What I found out was that they had a primer coat, silver and then the black paint which added up to a lot of paint which gave the impression they were faint. Once the paint was stripped, they looked super sharp. I plan on using air cure Cerakote for the black centers. No primer needed and the coat thickness is half of regular paint...