5 speed 265 transmission issue OD version

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I found an issue with the 5 speed. 3rd gear will not engage at speed (works fine on the bench) apparently this was overlooked. While shifting into 3rd the gear grinds and refuses to engage (only third all other are fine). Not being a tranny expert I would guess it is a synchro? Are there still spare parts available?

Any advice from the forum?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it goes into gear fine when you double clutch (and match revs), it’s a synchro problem

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to bend my shifter in a press to avoid it hitting the console when I installed my 265, in my case it was a definitive hit, not just slightly.
But if it works on the bench, bending the shifter is probably the easiest thing to try first if it's touching the console.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
How does Shifter interference will cause it to grind when going into gear?
I could see it causing partial engagement and popping out of gear.

stphers

Reaction score
Testing on the bench won't really tell you anything about the synchros. All that tells you is that the selector shafts, the different gear sleeves are moving ok back and forth into each gear If at that time, it balks going into gear, there is more problems than just synchros But everyone is right about having the gearshift lever able to go into each gear without any interference with the console or shift tower

Thanks, Rick

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It only slightly hit the counsel as I was pushing so hard to get it into gear. It feels like its in gear when the clutch is depressed when clutch pedal is up it grinds and will not go in gear. All other gears once shifted go in gear and stay.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you checked for the linkage hitting anything underneath in the tunnel or tower support area? Loose tower support doohickies? Proper shift linkage components?

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got the transmission apart and yes the 3rd gear syncro is shot. Further there is severe corrosion on the gears which not sure if this can be salvaged? Any opinions?

Attachments

• Gears.jpg
    Gears.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 153

stphers

Reaction score
Can't really tell from the picture Is the gear pitted at all ? Looks like the damage has gotten into the gear face of the bevelled area If that is the case,.it is toast
Unless you can find a gear shop that can do something like a spray metal that would be ale to be hardened to withstand normal use Better check the slider hub and the dog teeth as well Are any other gears like that one?

Thanks, Rick

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If that baby is not salvagable, I would try Al Taylor (Bavman) for a replacement.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I want to think that surface corrosion MIGHT just grind itself into the trans lube with time, meaning you'd need to change the trans lube a couple time. But how far the grind will go, and what will be left, can't be determined from the picture.

When I acquired and installed a used 265, it howled a bit at first. I was advised to just drive it; the noise went away after a little while - maybe some weeks, we don't go far here.

If your opinion is such that a trans R&R is not a significant effort because you have the time and tools, then it may come to pass that you've little to lose by driving it, perhaps while keeping an ear out for another 265. I have a friend with one, but we're in Hawaii and there would be shipping to address. Trans R&R gets easier with practice, but be safe under there, okay?

At any rate, you're in for a synchro ring replacement, and parts that may be difficult to source may determine your path forward.