635 issues,hey it's stilll a coupr

Rob Hannafin

Reaction score
My 2000cs is still tucked away.rain,rain,rain here in Ma. After reading T.J's plight I wonder if I can throw this one out. My 86 635csi will at times have the brake light warning on in the control panel. When this comes on I have no brake lights, wipers, directionals or horn. Recycling the key does not cure this, but it will clear while driving with no rhme or reason. Might go two hours or two weeks without rearing it's ugly head. I have removed anything aftermarket ie old cell phone, alarm sytem etc.
Any ideas, nothing seems to be common.

Rob

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Hey, it's OK. I have one CS and two 635s!

The check panel lights are, as I recall a constant issue. On my old Euro, I just gave up on them entirely. My 88 635 has aregular brake light indication, but the brake lights are OK.

As I recall form posts on BCG, the check control issues are usually traced to bad grounds in the tail lamps.

If oyu post at the Big COupe Groupe, I am sure someone will help you, as I have seen many posts on the topics.

HTH

S

Malc

Reaction score
Concur with Scott It's all to do with Grounds (earths)
My M535 (E28) has the same problems with the check panel, plus the instruments can be all over the place due to the rechargable batteries in the instrument panel beginning to go.

THe fuse box on the E28 (under the bonnet) is only maginally better than an E9 one and suffer from the usual bad contacts, corrosion etc. a day spent cleaning all the contacts around the box and on the body certainly helps.
Rob
As to why you loose wipers etc again I would suspect a poor connection somewhere in the harness, you might get the volts through but the amps aren't. Had a similar problem on a Saab 900 and it was bad wiper motor connections, harness connections and even connections in the dash !

Malc