65 GLAS 1700 GT restore

head2wind

Reaction score
This is the beginning portion of the restore of the 65 GLAS 1700 GT that I picked up last weekend.

I stumbled across the car looking for other parts for my Datsun 280z project on craigslist. I felt that it wasn't advertised well and based upon the history of these cars it was worth driving the 4 hours to get it. Asking price was reasonable (based upon the few known online sales of cars) and I managed to get a response via text then talk to the seller on the phone. Thankfully the seller took and honored a verbal 'I have cash, I want it, will be there 3 days to get it' commitment and did not sell it out from under me to the rising sea of interest as the word got out. When I was there putting it on the trailer his phone was 'blowing up' with texts, emails, calls... 'I will be there just to see it... If it falls through I want it... etc...'

The history that I was told:

VIN21105789
It was originally sold from Santa Monica, CA. I have the what I was told is the original black CA license plate (UGN-932), last time it was tabbed in CA was 1976. It was then purchased or moved by someone to Bend, OR where it likely stayed for a while. Somewhere along the way it was repainted in OEM color with a little body work done, maybe in the 70s or 80s. Lacquer finish paint leads me to believe this time frame. Then it was purchased from the estate as part of a lot of cars by a car dealer in Gresham, OR. It was then purchased by the person that I purchased it from, he was in Portland, OR at the time.

He purchased it in about 2010 or so... He (unfortunately) decided to put a different engine/transmission (Mazda RX7 12A) in it which required cutting the transmission tunnel/floor pan to clear the transmission. Thankfully he retained all of the parts he cut out. He also changed the rear end for the RX7 unit, again thankfully he saved the original rear end. The original engine/transmission are not with the car, unknown where they are. It is possible that when it was in Bend, OR that these were removed and then separated when the estate sold. He moved to Wenatchee, WA. He got the 12A running and drove it around the block a couple times and then it has sat in a heated garage until I purchased it this past weekend.

Aside from the engine/transmission missing, the car is fairly complete. The Odometer reads 5005 miles, which I suspect is accurate based upon the overall condition of the car. The interior is complete, seats/dash/door cards/carpets need to be redone/replaced/recovered, headliner is missing but the sun visors are there so it probably fell down and someone ripped it out.

Rust is fairly minimal, at least for this year/type. Very little visible rust penetration through panels with a few exceptions: RF hood corner, RF A pillar lower fender, LR lower fender, LR valence. Pictures of the inner fenders and areas hard to see show very little rust. I have a micro camera that allows me to go up into areas that cannot be normally seen, so far most typical trouble areas (A and B pillars, rockers/floor pan) are in fairly good shape. I plan to 'fog' it with rust killer to stop what is there.

As soon as I get it all inventoried, cleaned up, rust killer sprayed, detailed pictures taken and over all assessment completed I will then put it in dry storage again until I can decide what the next steps are going to be.

Photo gallery of the GLAS 1700 GT

Last edited:

head2wind

Reaction score
I will need to take a look, I think I remember it but need to verify. I will post it here later today, will be interesting to confirm the story of 'original CA plate' for sure.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All Black Plates have the 63, that is the year they replaced the Yellow 56 plates. The DMV issued a registration sticker for each following year, e.g. 64, 65, etc. The black plates were replaced in late 69 by blue plates.

head2wind

Reaction score
Hey everyone... Looking for a 1700 engine and transmission package for the Glas. Does anyone have a line on where I might be able to find it?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you joined the Glas Club?

Recommend contacting Chris Auty he's Ski Coach on this forum. He and Axel Coelln are very knowledgeable about GTs

Mario Langsten at Vintage Sports and Restoration, vsr1.com, has and is restoring 2 of Chris Auty's GTs. He is also a good resource.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
There's a fantastic book on the history of the Glas GT put out by the German Glas club. I was able to get a copy from Axel.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those are really cool looking cars. Keep us updated on your progress please.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Um...rigid axle with leaf springs? Missing the Glas 4-cylinder TS engine?
Rigid axle tough to live with,
glas motor/trans tough to find!

I'd opt for putting trailing arm rear suspension in it from an '02
(maybe even one of those tuner-produced 5-lug tube arms w/carrier that fits an E30 final drive)
and an S14 "unter der vorderseite haube"

have fun with it maybe Norm Walters will pipe up

lsquaredb

Reaction score
About the time of the takeover by BMW, Glas was planning to put de Dion rear suspension in the GT. They had also developed a racing engine with 4 valves per cylinder, so an S14 and rear suspension from a Caterham or Alfetta might be closer to what might have been.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is the beginning portion of the restore of the 65 GLAS 1700 GT that I picked up last weekend.

I stumbled across the car looking for other parts for my Datsun 280z project on craigslist. I felt that it wasn't advertised well and based upon the history of these cars it was worth driving the 4 hours to get it. Asking price was reasonable (based upon the few known online sales of cars) and I managed to get a response via text then talk to the seller on the phone. Thankfully the seller took and honored a verbal 'I have cash, I want it, will be there 3 days to get it' commitment and did not sell it out from under me to the rising sea of interest as the word got out. When I was there putting it on the trailer his phone was 'blowing up' with texts, emails, calls... 'I will be there just to see it... If it falls through I want it... etc...'

The history that I was told:

VIN21105789
It was originally sold from Santa Monica, CA. I have the what I was told is the original black CA license plate (UGN-932), last time it was tabbed in CA was 1976. It was then purchased or moved by someone to Bend, OR where it likely stayed for a while. Somewhere along the way it was repainted in OEM color with a little body work done, maybe in the 70s or 80s. Lacquer finish paint leads me to believe this time frame. Then it was purchased from the estate as part of a lot of cars by a car dealer in Gresham, OR. It was then purchased by the person that I purchased it from, he was in Portland, OR at the time.

He purchased it in about 2010 or so... He (unfortunately) decided to put a different engine/transmission (Mazda RX7 12A) in it which required cutting the transmission tunnel/floor pan to clear the transmission. Thankfully he retained all of the parts he cut out. He also changed the rear end for the RX7 unit, again thankfully he saved the original rear end. The original engine/transmission are not with the car, unknown where they are. It is possible that when it was in Bend, OR that these were removed and then separated when the estate sold. He moved to Wenatchee, WA. He got the 12A running and drove it around the block a couple times and then it has sat in a heated garage until I purchased it this past weekend.

Aside from the engine/transmission missing, the car is fairly complete. The Odometer reads 5005 miles, which I suspect is accurate based upon the overall condition of the car. The interior is complete, seats/dash/door cards/carpets need to be redone/replaced/recovered, headliner is missing but the sun visors are there so it probably fell down and someone ripped it out.

Rust is fairly minimal, at least for this year/type. Very little visible rust penetration through panels with a few exceptions: RF hood corner, RF A pillar lower fender, LR lower fender, LR valence. Pictures of the inner fenders and areas hard to see show very little rust. I have a micro camera that allows me to go up into areas that cannot be normally seen, so far most typical trouble areas (A and B pillars, rockers/floor pan) are in fairly good shape. I plan to 'fog' it with rust killer to stop what is there.

As soon as I get it all inventoried, cleaned up, rust killer sprayed, detailed pictures taken and over all assessment completed I will then put it in dry storage again until I can decide what the next steps are going to be.

Photo gallery of the GLAS 1700 GT
Hi,
I found a set of two Glas V8 gauges in real nice shape for sale. Are you interested? PM me for more info
Koopman

head2wind

Reaction score
I _might_ go in the direction of 'resto-mod' with this car, definitely would be unique. The problem is it would likely drive the value down opposed to re-powering with a OEM 1700cc setup. The current value in the US (in comparison to other 60s Italian designed cars) is fairly depressed already, moding with a different eng/trans/rear susp would I believe narrow the interest further. The other challenge for me is I have solidly place myself into a project of doing just this with my 280z. It has turned from a 'it has a coolant leak' to a full on engine build/turbo/exhaust/transmission/MegaSquirt EFI build up. Amongst my many other motorcycle/car/house/boat projects , I am very hesitant to start down this rabbit hole as I know what my tenancies are!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
You could work on the body, getting it in good shape while continuing the search for an OEM drivetrain. For things that are rare, you have to have patience. They will usually turn up eventually, especially if you work on getting the word out. If you were unable to secure the drivetrain you were looking for after you had the body in good nick, then you could go down the restomod path.

Ian

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could work on the body, getting it in good shape while continuing the search for an OEM drivetrain. For things that are rare, you have to have patience. They will usually turn up eventually, especially if you work on getting the word out. If you were unable to secure the drivetrain you were looking for after you had the body in good nick, then you could go down the restomod path.

Ian
...OR sell the completed body to someone else.

head2wind

Reaction score
....OR maybe sell it as is 'pickled' and ready for another enthusiastic owner to take it back to its former glory :)
When it rains and I am not really ready (shop is FULL).... I have found 2 engine/transmission combos... 1 of them even runs!