72 CS in Laguna Beach

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not a CSI, this is a euro VIN carbed coupe. I met a nice lady who has owned this coupe over 20 years and wants to sell. It runs fine but needs almost everything, not for the faint of heart. I can put you in contact with her, serious buyers only please. Some photos attached of the worst areas. Based on recent sales of what look to be rusty parts coupes this might be of interest as it is better than most.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 383
  • IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3864.JPG
    IMG_3864.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3863.JPG
    IMG_3863.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 332
  • IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 321
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3862.JPG
    IMG_3862.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3861.JPG
    IMG_3861.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3866.JPG
    IMG_3866.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3853.JPG
    IMG_3853.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3867.JPG
    IMG_3867.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3868.JPG
    IMG_3868.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 298

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for intercepting before BHCC got a hold of it! Looks like a nice project!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's about the same condition as my coupe, more or less. My seats are still good and I don't have rust in the front fenders. I'll be very interested to know what it sells for.

Ian

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ian -- if your seat belts look like that they are way beyond their useful life and should be replaced.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ian -- if your seat belts look like that they are way beyond their useful life and should be replaced.

My seat belts are an older style. They don't retract and the buckle clips to a center loop. They are the Klippan belts. I do plan on replacing them with newer, retracting belts.
Safety first.

The really odd thing is the number on the loop. My car was made in July, 1970 and the date, if that's what it is, is 1972. Hmm. Seems odd that someone would have replaced this part, which clearly isn't as good as retractable belts at some later time, but I suppose it could have happened.

Oh, wait. My car was in an accident at some point. The front clip, dash forward, was replaced so maybe they replaced the belts with the same versions at that time. I know it was front ended because the frame rail under the engine has a bit of a bend and the install wasn't perfect: there is some finishing work they didn't do that I'll take care of now.

But the plus side is, I have a front end that is rust free.

Ian

Klippan-BMW-1972-IMG_1147.jpg
seat-belt-latched-on-ring-.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris -- look at the pic where you show the leather underneath the covers.

Ian -- Safety first was my thought as well. The useful life of 1970s webbing is 25 years. I did a bunch of research and ended up with a set of these in my car: https://www.schrothracing.com/products/rallye-belts#1576

In short, Mario Langston at VSR had recommended these to some of his customers and they use the stock mounting locations for our car. I get some grief from time to time about using a four point harness, but these are specifically designed to prevent submarining. Note: you can pull the threads on the yellow "Schroth" patch on the belts, remove the patch and have entirely black belts. The yellow doesn't match anything in the interior of our cars.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even though it may be a California car, Laguna can be hard on cars even parked indoors. Many homes are close to the salt water. This one looks like one of those unfortunate victims. But, someone will save it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Engine was rebuilt in 2010, clutch master and slave replaced last month, she has owned it 20 years. She added the center console and A/C from a 74 she used to own.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Marion, the owner, is still hoping a coupe enthusiast will purchase her cherished coupe and give it the loving restoration it deserves. She has dropped her asking price to $15K. As noted earlier the motor was rebuilt and it runs well. Given what some have paid for parts cars at this price which need much more it seems reasonable. Contact me and I will provide her phone number.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My seat belts are an older style. They don't retract and the buckle clips to a center loop. They are the Klippan belts. I do plan on replacing them with newer, retracting belts.
Safety first.

The really odd thing is the number on the loop. My car was made in July, 1970 and the date, if that's what it is, is 1972. Hmm. Seems odd that someone would have replaced this part, which clearly isn't as good as retractable belts at some later time, but I suppose it could have happened.

Oh, wait. My car was in an accident at some point. The front clip, dash forward, was replaced so maybe they replaced the belts with the same versions at that time. I know it was front ended because the frame rail under the engine has a bit of a bend and the install wasn't perfect: there is some finishing work they didn't do that I'll take care of now.

Ian

View attachment 29185View attachment 29186

I had those very seatbelts in a 1967 Volvo P1800S, hooked to that huge centre loop. Drove it while in University. So cool. Looking at this photo brings back fond memories of that "Saintly" car ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This seems like a really nice car from an honest long-time owner. The price seems fair. I hope someone pics it up!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Safety first.

Ian

Ian: an unsolicited opinion: the Klippan-style buckles are just as safe (some say more) once you replace the old webbing (which we should do on any old seat belts regardless of style)

Note to all: I so prefer Klippans, that when I get the chance (like now) I promote my standing offer of a direct swap of anyone's Klippan belt sets (must be complete) for my retractable belt sets (are complete) and you may even be able to chose your preferred color. E3 or E9, I have both. pm