72 CSL on Bat...

BikeRider

Site Donor
Reaction score

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
This is the car I asked about several months ago. Specifically, I asked if the VIN ending in 002 indicated it was the second csl built. I saw it when I picked up my 72 CSi from German Motorwerks in the Orlando area. I’d be interested in thoughts from the forum. My wife says no, but I’m interested. I tried to open discussions with the owner before it went on BAT but he refused to discuss it.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the car I asked about several months ago. Specifically, I asked if the VIN ending in 002 indicated it was the second csl built. I saw it when I picked up my 72 CSi from German Motorwerks in the Orlando area. I’d be interested in thoughts from the forum. My wife says no, but I’m interested. I tried to open discussions with the owner before it went on BAT but he refused to discuss it.

Looks fantastic and in one of the best CSL colours. I have a city pack in similar spec - bumper delete, wind splitters and spoilers. The factory offered all those options at the time. Makes a CSL look more sporty imho and with the 16” wheels just perfect.

Also my advice if you do proceed - ask seller if he still has the 14” CSL rims, front and back steel bumpers, as good to have these if you ever want to revert. And check if the boot, bonnet and doors are alloy optioned as this makes a City Pack more rare and valuable.

Redrumm3

Reaction score
If Carlos DeQuesada was the prior owner and importer I am sure the car was well maintained under his stewardship. He can certainly afford to purchase quality cars and has a beautiful collection in South Florida, mainly Porsches and some BMW's, etc. He is an heir to the Gatorade fortune. He does a lot of historic racing as well as campaign in IMSA currently. https://alegramotorsports.com/

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The fender tops and rear apron look extremely "doughy" and I could be off but that Petri looks like a 400mm, not a 380. As far as I know, all the RHD cars had chrome bumpers. Overall it doesn't look like a great example but they are thin on the ground so... I just heard of another nice Golf L that will not be showing up on BaT that is for sale if anyone wants to be connected...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Aside from it being a lightweight, the cars' a bit of a mess IMHO.

IMO, it is a “do absolutely nothing and enjoy” or full restoration car. Not much well spent in between, save for sourcing the wheels inside and out. Love fjord CSL’s!
D1031543-347C-4A5C-97B0-A83BF323E696.jpeg

l could be off but that Petri looks like a 400mm

You are correct. Once you see the gap on the 400mm it’s hard to miss. The leather CSL petri is even tighter on the third spoke hole than a standard 380mm foam petri.

A40543FF-BEA7-41A5-8862-E455C93CF3BE.jpeg

392A7123-B64F-4E0C-BD03-A295778FB70C.jpeg

m5toureg

Reaction score
This car is not road legal in the USA ?? and still registered in the U.K. ?
reg no TLG491L BMW 3000 - latest MOT in the U.K. (annual road safety test)
on May 27th 2008 - mileage 72.194 miles (116.185 km) -
garage queen - show rooms only ?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It can be registered and driven in the US.

Yes there are plenty of RHD cars in the USA. This includes many “modern” JDM cars as well as old classics.

Our own @dp amd @BMW Pete have RHD e3/e9’s in the US.

This car is not road legal in the USA ?? and still registered in the U.K. ?

European plates are a popular novelty in the US. Typically a US plate is thrown on top of it, or in the rear window. Enthusiast cars with no front-plate law may have a foreign or out-of-state plate installed. The 50 states all manage license plate laws differently. Some states are far more strict than others.

m5toureg

Reaction score
@Markos @HB Chris
Thanks for the explanations. To some part I was aware and I understand now that
,the car in question’ was indeed imported, registered and is street legal in the US.
However, two issues seem to remain ??
The car is still registered in the U.K. as well ? Never reported as ,exported’ ?
Which could be an advantage and useful for a bidder/buyer in the U.K. ?
-
So it was registered in the US but was it ever driven ? (see reported mileage).

stcos85

Reaction score
i think it is being sold with the original bumpers and is registered in the US. hasnt posted any pics yet of the normal problem areas