`73 Coupe in NY on eBay

sirshorty

Reaction score
NY 73 cs

I'm pretty sure this is one of the same cars bfeng saw at the little garage and reported his findings back on the forum a month ago. The last owner had it for 16 years and kept it up with them as a nice driver.It looks like some work to the seats was done since then and a proper detailing.Bfeng said it had rust in the pass door, rear window rubber area, and front outer fender and had a trim on repaint that had a lot of bad prep and orange peel to the trained eye. . It looks pretty nice from the pics and I'm happy to go and see it for someone if they would like.
shorty

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think so - that one was a '72 csa

I'm pretty sure this is one of the same cars bfeng saw at the little garage and reported his findings back on the forum a month ago. The last owner had it for 16 years and kept it up with them as a nice driver.It looks like some work to the seats was done since then and a proper detailing.Bfeng said it had rust in the pass door, rear window rubber area, and front outer fender and had a trim on repaint that had a lot of bad prep and orange peel to the trained eye. . It looks pretty nice from the pics and I'm happy to go and see it for someone if they would like.
shorty

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I saw that silver coupe at the Little Garage about 3 weeks ago. The sides of the car were redone with poorly blocked out plastic (Bondo) and the silver paint was pretty dead as I remember, very little brilliance or pop. What scares me on this car is the big ugly mess of body caulking that’s on the top of the fender skirts right along side of the fender’s rain gutters, that and the fresh paint up there makes me wonder if they are trying to hide something :confused:. ~ John Buchtenkirch

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We came to the same conclusion, the area around the struts looks scary. Here are two pics the seller sent.

Attachments

• bmw%203_0%202%20014.JPG
    bmw%203_0%202%20014.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 258
  • bmw%203_0%202%20016.JPG
    bmw%203_0%202%20016.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 240

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Wow, the close up looks even scarier than I thought :shock:. There’s another example of “doctoring it up for resale” instead of repairing it. The shame of it is :x that looking at the edges of the of the fender’s rain gutters it appears that the fenders have been replaced. When the fenders were off that’s when the skirt problems should have been addressed. Now it’s a real problem. ~ John Buchtenkirch

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
The coupe is no longer on eBay. I spoke with the owner on Tuesdayand he insisted that the car had no rust and was always kept in a heated garage. When I responded back to him after viewing the photos I requested and made him aware of the rust/bondo issues he went quiet and I haven't heard from him since. Thanks for everyone's help.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
The coupe is no longer on eBay. I spoke with the owner on Tuesdayand he insisted that the car had no rust and was always kept in a heated garage. When I responded back to him after viewing the photos I requested and made him aware of the rust/bondo issues he went quiet and I haven't heard from him since. Thanks for everyone's help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FOOD for THOUGHT. ------------------------------

If a car is stored in a heated space (particularly with forced hot air heating) it will last longer because a lot of the moisture is burned out of the air and that obviously slows down the corrosive action. However if a car is actually driven in the winter a heated garage only speeds up the corrosion & the ultimate demise of that vehicle. In the winter the tires throw snow slush mixed with salt all over the under carriage of the car and when you pull the car into a heated garage the slush becomes a liquid salt brine solution and electrolysis starts. It is my understanding that if the car were kept outside and that slush remains frozen there is very little if any electrolysis going on. My observations of customer’s driver type cars thru the years pretty much backs this, the heated garage cars were all bleeding rust from the seams in 6 to 10 years. Jap cars stood out as being especially bad. It looks a bit ugly but I have big trucker mud flaps cut down to fit my Audi, they wrap half way around the front wheels and almost touch the drive axles to minimize the slush problems. The underside of the car stays relatively clean considering it’s a winter driver. Anyway the bottom line to all this is “the heated garage” story carries no weight with me and in fact warning bells go off :roll::roll::roll: when I hear it. ~ John Buchtenkirch

1amf2.JPG

Last edited:

Terry S.

Reaction score
great observations on the body repair

John -

Thanks for your very astute observations regarding the body repair - your comments are one of the reasons that this website is as good as it is. I learn something new each time I check this site. Your skilled eye could merit a compilation of the "best/worst of ..." body repair/camoflage photos, and it would make a great reference in the Tech Info section.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
John -

Thanks for your very astute observations regarding the body repair - your comments are one of the reasons that this website is as good as it is. I learn something new each time I check this site. Your skilled eye could merit a compilation of the "best/worst of ..." body repair/camoflage photos, and it would make a great reference in the Tech Info section.
Thanks for the compliments but I have been doing collision & metal shaping for 39 or 40 years so it’s just second nature to me now. A “Hall of Shame Gallery” might not be a bad idea, I’m sure anyone who has seriously been looking for a coupe has photos or at least an interesting or funny story :smile: to tell. ~ John Buchtenkirch
A res#4.jpg

A res#2.jpg