73 Euro on BaT

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Lots of issues but none worse than the VIN.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is NOT a very impressive coupe. vin tag on inner fender looks to be screwed on rather than rivets
rust bubbles on the passenger rocker and at bottom of passenger A pillar give moments of pause.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would you buy a coupe with a stamped VIN swap? I wouldn’t. This coupe is obviously a euro automatic but the front of a US has been grafted on, check the fenders, A/C drier mounts left on passenger fender, no cladding, torn VIN tag, later front valance, underside is flat sheet metal so poorly repaired floors, even the screw post in trunk to mount the jack is missing, it’s a rusty mess. Impossible to register in CA for sure.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
totally with you there Chris, i just looked quickly and did NOT like what i saw and quit looking. looks like a future BHCC vehicle.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The VIN that is physically and permanently attached to the chassis is the actual VIN to the car. It is illegal to swap VINs from one chassis to another. That is fraud. For this car to have a legitimate sale, the title needs to have the same VIN as the chassis.

Has there ever been a BaT auction where no one bid on the car?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has there ever been a BaT auction where no one bid on the car?

BaT has withdrawn cars from auction when there were title and/or VIN issues. Sellers have done the same when they found out through the BaT process that the paperwork was not in order.

BTW, there are not titles for vehicles in BC (as we know them in most states in the US). I don't know if that makes a difference.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To be clear, I think it is indeed a euro CS automatic 73, but replacing inner fenders, firewall and who knows what else makes this one unsaleable.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice color, interesting seats.
If you use a donor it is only fair that a restored car carries two VINs. The donor lives on somehow.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
VIN swap = crushed car (well, legally at least). I'm surprised this made it through the BaT process to be listed. Especially since Hearst is the new owner.

It may get pulled with all the comments re the VIN now.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
So this is a BC car which means it only has a registration. No title. In order to get titled in the US, it requires a VIN verification form be completed by a certified appraiser OR the local police. With the firewall VIN stamp in conflict with the registration paperwork, it will never get titled in the US without some serious shenanigans in play.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So this is a BC car which means it only has a registration. No title. In order to get titled in the US, it requires a VIN verification form be completed by a certified appraiser OR the local police. With the firewall VIN stamp in conflict with the registration paperwork, it will never get titled in the US without some serious shenanigans in play.

I've bought several cars in BC and imported them to Washington state. No VIN verification on any of them by a certified appraiser or police. Each of our states has different vehicle registration/title laws.

m5toureg

Reaction score
-
VIN 223 2445 > 3.0 CSA - Euro automatic (title)
VIN 224 0704 > 3.0 CS. - NA manual
-
A non matching engine is not uncommon after all these years. But why on earth would
anyone get the idea to register the car under the engine number and not the VIN
identity of the car/chassis ?? If indeed at one point of time the fire-wall was changed
(which I am pretty sure it was NOT) and taken from a donor car, why then,
not (cut out the VIN from the old) change the fire-wall VIN to match the engine and
the VIN of the project-base and ,correct’ car ??
However, as rust issues have to be addressed anyhow, this ,problem’ could be
,solved’ by the new owner in the process ??
Is there perhaps an issue with VIN 224 0704 ??
-

Last edited:

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From what I've been told by those that live in WA, registering a vintage vehicle is pretty painless and is an almost automatic (ha, no pun) process. There is zero possibility of registering and titling this FrankenCoupe in California, in my opinion. But even with all the issues, and if BaT doesn't pull it, we still may see $25K for this........car.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
In some states older cars are registered on a bill of sale. The seller/buyer put in whatever identifying number they chose (it’s generally not checked). I have a car where a PO used the engine number on a bill of sale and then the next buyer requested a title. The engine number was up too and clearly legible where as the VIN was a barely visible stamping in the firewall. So, I’d say it was a mistake by an I knowledgeable owner.

When I got the car I straightened it out by taking the car down to our registrar and showing then that the number on the old title was correct for the car but not the right number for the title. A few months later and all was fixed

A small hassle, but

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here we go again.
Seems like I remember something like this happening before and I think it was right under my nose.
Geez. Poor guy.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
In Florida, you can register a vintage car without a title, just a bill of sale, but you will need a VIN verification by the state DMV inspector. They work out of regional offices but travel to the local DMVs/tax collectors on a scheduled basis. Would be a gamble to present this car to the DMV inspector. Even in Florida, which is pretty lax.

What a mess!