74 3.0CS.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 233

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wonder what this thing's story was. VIN comes up as 2002 on RealOEM, "Fasten Seatbelt" alert on the dash, seats vertical instead of horizontal, no diving boards.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder what this thing's story was. VIN comes up as 2002 on RealOEM, "Fasten Seatbelt" alert on the dash, seats vertical instead of horizontal, no diving boards.

Unfortunately you can’t use 7 digit VIN’s on realoem. They overlap 17 digit VIN’s so they will come up incorrectly.

mr bump

Reaction score
I had the same problem at my local bmw dealership sytners. I gave them my vin number and it came back at a 1981 E21, and the chap didn't believe me that bmw old short vin numbers existed!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can’t use 7 digit VIN’s on realoem. They overlap 17 digit VIN’s so they will come up incorrectly.

Definitely had that issue, if I don't pre-select "classic." And 02 wouldn't have overlapping 7-digit VIN with E9, right? I think Chris identified the issue as the ad having the wrong VIN.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Definitely had that issue, if I don't pre-select "classic." And 02 wouldn't have overlapping 7-digit VIN with E9, right? I think Chris identified the issue as the ad having the wrong VIN.

Regardless, you can’t plug in 7 digit VIN’s into realoem and get reliable results. It is interesting that a 2002 returned with that bad number. I wonder if that VIN has no overlap. As someone mentioned many come up as a e21. Selecting “classic” won’t change the behavior of the VIN search unfortunately.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ad is wrong it shows 4225438 which is not a coupe VIN. You can see the US 73 bumpers. 74 2002s began with 4220001 and ended with 4230601, 4225438 is Mar 1974.

Last edited:

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Went to checkout this car. Just to see if the car might be worth a $1000 for parts. Likely not, but why not take a 20 minute drive and check it out. And check out a few newer cars.
The crazy part is as I am checking out of the place I see a tow truck drive by with another E9 on it. I will put it in another thread.
VIN showing was 2240565. Not the original tag? crappy picture but you get the idea.
IMG_2303.JPG

as most of you had already deduced it is a sad case.
IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2309.JPG
last picture actually shows the floor breaking away.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you can find out the story behind the hoarder and what might be left, I'm dying to know. And ... finally see a car without speaker holes. I bet the VIN is just a typo. Lady at the DMV tried to put my title in the PO's name, and then the dealer's name, and then misspelled my last name but used the dealer's address.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that 0565 sticker is a special import vin.
I know that california used to issue new vins on cars that were built without them. I'm not sure if BMW ever did that, but it was usually factory race cars that could pass import inspections

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a thread with a picture I took of all five of them 9 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long)! I don't know how excited I would get, they didn't look that great then and they have been sitting out in the Portland rainy weather ever since. A bunch of people, including me, have tried to buy all of them, one of them, or parts for the last few years. The guy just wanted too much money. He was older so who knows what's happen since. Sorry Markos, no Inka, no Ceylon, no CSLs...:)

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/give-thanks-our-cars-are-that-much-rarer.5604/#post-33898