Reaction score
NMNA Great start on an E9 Baur

4B816152-0942-4CAD-8778-1752865994A3.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos has a roof for it still???

Great deal!

My roof is sold. There are a few roofs on the market. One in Canada, one in the Southeast. Potentially one in WA. Another known parts car in WA. That car near @Honolulu, the Taiga pair in the Mojave, etc.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This just affirms my view that supply is dwindling and demand is rising for these coupes. How many threads have we had on here of late where people point and laugh at the condition of a particular coupe for sale somewhere only to see it sell?
I wouldn't rule out that the car in Honolulu will end up becoming project. If it were on mainland USA or Europe somebody would have grabbed it already.
As for this one I think Clinton Stokes had a spare roof for sale a while back.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This just affirms my view that supply is dwindling and demand is rising for these coupes. How many threads have we had on here of late where people point and laugh at the condition of a particular coupe for sale somewhere only to see it sell?
I wouldn't rule out that the car in Honolulu will end up becoming project. If it were on mainland USA or Europe somebody would have grabbed it already.
As for this one I think Clinton Stokes had a spare roof for sale a while back.

@Wes,

I really appreciate your outlook and enthusiasm around these cars. Most are saveable but it takes grit and cash. If @clinton stokes does have a roof, that would be another that I overlooked.

I built a box to ship the roof, and the buyer had a freight company pick it up.
07116A9E-92C8-4D4F-A73F-C2EA5A9E725D.jpeg480F9818-9BEF-4825-8782-7F4937B5C1AD.jpeg52A79079-8149-4B50-B40A-BE589531C031.jpeg0027268F-C840-47C0-A9F7-EFADA1DBE78D.jpeg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Wes,

I really appreciate your outlook and enthusiasm around these cars. Most are saveable but it takes grit and cash. If @clinton stokes does have a roof, that would be another that I overlooked.

I built a box to ship the roof, and the buyer had a freight company pick it up.
View attachment 69107View attachment 69106View attachment 69105View attachment 69104
I think he listed it on here with his parts haul a while back.

The reality is all are savable if money/time isn't a consideration. All I'm saying is that appreciation/demand for these cars is moving toward the mainstream as opposed to niche. As prices rise due to demand it stands to reason people will be prepared to spend more $$ on 'heroic' restorations because the numbers stack up.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think he listed it on here with his parts haul a while back.

The reality is all are savable if money/time isn't a consideration. All I'm saying is that appreciation/demand for these cars is moving toward the mainstream as opposed to niche. As prices rise due to demand it stands to reason people will be prepared to spend more $$ on 'heroic' restorations because the numbers stack up.

Agreed. The funny thing is that any intolerance that you may perceive in 2019 is quite an evolution from 4 years ago. I'm not talking about "the market". I'm talking about existing owner and member perceptions of a turd's value and restoration feasibility. It helps that some very talented folks have started and finished some very some comprehensive restoration threads. W&N and SKLEP keep pumping out more sheetmetal also.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agreed. The funny thing is that any intolerance that you may perceive in 2019 is quite an evolution from 4 years ago. I'm not talking about "the market". I'm talking about existing owner and member perceptions of a turd's value and restoration feasibility. It helps that some very talented folks have started and finished some very some comprehensive restoration threads. W&N and SKLEP keep pumping out more sheetmetal also.

I know right. People were telling me I was mad to buy my CSL in the condition it was perceived to be in (having never actually seen the car) and the value wasn't there. Same people are now accusing me of basically 'stealing' the car for the price I paid on account of its original condition. Go figure. :p

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice cars can look terrible and some awful cars can look quite lovely. I understand why folks would dissuade someone form investing in a CSL roller. The market won't tolerate a half-baked restoration. With that said, even if poorly executed, a CSL will still be worth more than one most people can pay for a weekend toy.

Pics simply won't cut it with these cars, which is why BaT auctions tend to frustrate me. Like many cars you see, my swiss-cheese CSI looked quite decent on the outside, better than my CS. The CS looked awful, but it was mostly debris in the engine bay. It cleaned up well, but not surprisingly it still needs tones of metal attention. I paid 3x the forum recommended purchase price, based on comparing 2015 market values to forum sentiment.

Hopefully all of this banter is meaningful to lurkers and better yet, someone with a driveable reference coupe. Think about it for a moment. Welding a skinny-pillar e9 roof on is a lot of prep work with practically no welding. 60% intimidation, 30% measuring and cutting, 10% welding. ;) Paging @Tony.dreamer :D

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m in awe of the projects people complete, and any joking is more of an acknowledgment of the undertaking as opposed to any suggestion there is no value or the car should be crushed. I also invested in JDS Uniphase in 1999, so it is a kenahorah against my own enthusiasm in a hot market.