74 black / tan 3.0cs on ebay

d-ace

Reaction score
Paint looks good, seats good, tires are good and shiny, tool tray and all tools are there even spark plugs, Kenwood Stereo, lots of paperwork $22K is about right for a USA big bumper CS coupe. Only thing missing is the $45K - $55K body restoration work due to the rust coming through (doors looks like a holes see attachments below) and all over the rocker panels (less see the bottom) plus motor compartment rust too. Looks like a lot of people are dumping these coupes after driving them for years and now with the notorious rust bubbling showing up and its time for restoration, bye bye baby.

Attachments

• Black - Tan CS A.jpg
    Black - Tan CS A.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Black - Tan CS B.jpg
    Black - Tan CS B.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 318

61porsche

Reaction score
No, not known to me. VA plates, GA receipts, sold by a TX dealer.

I'm happy to eyeball it up for someone seriously interested.

My comment- clean up the engine compartment at least for $22k. Paint the darn air cleaner; show a little respect pls.

Yeah, I agree... the oak.. not to my taste.

But on a positive note, it seems we're all getting pickier which is good for the breed. Keep up the good work guys.:-D

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
$60K in receipts

I always love it when folks state what they have paid for upkeep and routine repairs not restoration. If I have all service records for a 37 year period $60K is about right - but it does not impress me (except if they have all service records).

Interesting that they changed the car color and the underhood paint sticker.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eyeball it please

Are you near Houston? I am very interested in this car and would appreciate any advice. I have always loved these cars, ever since I settled with an 86 635 csi

Scott

My comment- clean up the engine compartment at least for $22k. Paint the darn air cleaner; show a little respect pls.

But on a positive note, it seems we're all getting pickier which is good for the breed. Keep up the good work guys.:-D

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a Houston BMW shop to inspect this car for me?

I want to arrange a pre-purchase inspection of the coupe. I'd love to get the opinion of a houston member if you don't mind and have time. I am calling the shop that worked on the car now, but want an independent review too. I am likely to have any needed work done locally in Houston before shipping to where I live in Ketchum, Idaho.

Please send me a direct email [email protected] if you can swing by and let me know what you think. One concern, other than the possibility of rust in some troublesome places, is the 5 leads going into the battery. I wonder what those are all for. I will be asking the seller's representative.

I am going to see how the bidding goes, but may very well bid the buy it now price if it appears to be a competitive auction. I really like this car, although not perfect seems pretty nice.

Thanks!

Scott

61porsche

Reaction score
It would be my pleasure. PM sent.

F2 Motorsports- Fernando has a bigcoupe M. active in the BMW circles and does work for Firstsource, a specialty car storage .etc.) He and his father worked for BMW before going independent.

The 5 wires- yes, that's what the factory did. It needs tidied up. Not a big deal.

Depending on what it needs, I might be sweet talked into a shade tree deal. No rewiring Ferrari's, unless you live in Hawaii, and I get to bring my boards.

Last edited:

d-ace

Reaction score
Play the old rust story once again Sam, its pretty obvious how they paint and then the bubbles come through (see attachments). And I always get a kick how they shoot the photos around the bottom section of these coupes.

Attachments

• BLK USA CS #1.jpg
    BLK USA CS #1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 233
  • BLK USA CS #2.jpg
    BLK USA CS #2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 239

61porsche

Reaction score
Guys.. I've seen the car. It's dry. The rust on the apron can only have happened by a loose tie down because it came from the backside is my best opinion being under it on a lift; bad car mover, don't strap on the tow hooks or frame EVER . There is none other than this. There was reported to be some on the left rocker- it was the small gasket that fell down and no rust there. No story there either.

Those stacks of recepits are mainly one mechanic going back to 85. This same guy new it all and no BS. Long time customer's car.

The pictures don't do the car justice. Sure we can all get picky.. downright white glove concours better than when it rolled off the boat picky as a matter of fact. It's an honest to goodness car ( with some minor expected issues and patina) most any one of us should be proud of.

Anyone who wants more detail can PM or call me.

Not mine, no interest or equity, just happy to help.:)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What an asset - having a knowledgeable coupe person go look at a car BEFORE spending a huge amount of money and finding out the bills are just starting.

You have done the seller and a buyer a big favor.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought!!

Thanks everyone for all your help!! I just bought the car for a fair price. I can't wait. I am going to have some work done before I ship it.

Glad to join tge E9 club finally.

Scott