'74 Bumper Conversion

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a preference re: using '72 or '73 donor bumpers? I know that the '73 bumpers/mounts are a bit different, and that body and paint work are required to achieve a seamless result, but I'm asking in terms of the correct look and the availability of all the appropriate parts (rubber, bumper estates, trim, etc.)

Thanks.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
72s fit closer to the car in the rear than the later years. IMHO it looks a little cleaner but you get zero chance of protecting the car in a crash.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
But if you use rear 73 you need to find hoops and the rubber covers are impossible to find. Front brackets are beefier which I like.

tmason

Reaction score
It's the rubber covers that are extremely hard to find.[/QUOTE]

Great that what's on the shelf with no rubber!

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
!972 vs 73 Bumpers

Len,

I had a set of each in my shop and I found out that the bumpers are the same and the way that BMW got to the X mph bumper in 1973 was by using different mounting gear. You already know about the rails that look like morning stars (I have a set I don't need) and all they did on the ends of the front bumpers was fashion an adapter to allow the bumpers to ride farther forward. Other than that the 3 chrome sections of the front bumper are exactly alike.

I don't know that specifically about the rear but my guess is they did the same thing thereby eliminating the need to change the geometry. I'm going to put 1972 bumpers on my current project because I think they look better.

Regards, Jon

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd play the odds and go for the look of the earlier bumpers. That's what good insurance coverage is for.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with all the necessary parts and have come to the conclusion that diagrams 51/1 and 51/2 are for the '72 fronts while 51/3 and 51/4 are for '73 (with the upward pointing bumperettes).

Having a harder time identifying the '72 rear diagrams; can anyone help?