74 Malaga CS for sale-Savannah, GA

MaxBMW1974!

Reaction score
74 Malaga coupe with sunroof, 5-spd manual, air in excellent condition with 82,350 miles -garage kept since 2009.

Upgrades by previous owner include 5 speed transmission, re-upholstered from seats, wood trim and exterior paint. Recent work in last 24 months include front brakes (rotors, calipers, brake pads, brake housings & hoses.) Wheel inner/outer bearings and races replaced. Ignition lock cylinder, housing, steering wheel lock and under dash ignition harness replaced. New battery, tune-up and fluids in 2021.

Located in Savannah, GA - 15 minutes from airport. Photos attached, additional available on request (ok -looks like my photo uploads are a challenge, will update as I resolve.) $59,000.

Attachments

• BMW9.jpg
    BMW9.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 179

MaxBMW1974!

Reaction score
Attached photos, s/n 4335393 - owned since 2009.

Attachments

• BMJ15.jpg
    BMJ15.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 134
  • BMJ13.jpg
    BMJ13.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 139
  • BMJ6.jpg
    BMJ6.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 137
  • BMJ27.jpg
    BMJ27.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 129
  • BMJ22.jpg
    BMJ22.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 135
  • BMJ20.jpg
    BMJ20.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 142
  • BMJ19.jpg
    BMJ19.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 134
  • BMJ25.jpg
    BMJ25.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 125
  • BMJ24.jpg
    BMJ24.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 140
  • BMJ23.jpg
    BMJ23.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 131

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi MaxBMW1974! - I can think of a couple of questions you may want to address here, as it is likely prospective buyers will have similar questions.

First, as to the inevitable rust questions, what do you know about where the car was located prior to your acquisition? Do you have any information on rust remediation work that may have been done when the car was painted? And can you post pictures of the undercarriage, trunk and the area behind the glove box and behind the fuses?

Is the mileage on the odometer the actual mileage on your car?

Also what prompted the ignition lock, steering wheel lock and harness replacements? These repairs are unusual, and one might think damage in these areas was associated with a theft (or attempted theft) of your car.

bdigel

Reaction score
Hi MaxBMW1974! - I can think of a couple of questions you may want to address here, as it is likely prospective buyers will have similar questions.

First, as to the inevitable rust questions, what do you know about where the car was located prior to your acquisition? Do you have any information on rust remediation work that may have been done when the car was painted? And can you post pictures of the undercarriage, trunk and the area behind the glove box and behind the fuses?

Is the mileage on the odometer the actual mileage on your car?

Also what prompted the ignition lock, steering wheel lock and harness replacements? These repairs are unusual, and one might think damage in these areas was associated with a theft (or attempted theft) of your car.
Actually Replacing Ing. Locks and switchs was very very common , I was BMW tech for over 30 years and I replaced hundereds of those things
( not just in e9s obviously) If I never have to chisel out a set of break off bolts while upside down under a a dash ever again ...... and regretfully I had an old customer hunt me down to do exactly that replace the ing switch in his E9 .

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice rig.

Seems that the place to sell E9s are BAT, however, selling an E9 either there or anywhere very hard w/o like at least 100 pictures and a driving/walkaround video(s).

Best to put her on a lift and take a ton of videos there of the floors, rockers, etc.

Looks like a bit of corrosion on that spare tire well. Pretty common area.

Good luck!

BTW, that passenger mirror...is that manual or power? If the latter, that is very rare to find.

MaxBMW1974!

Reaction score
Thanks for the questions; easier to answer questions than construct a novel that no one reads!
1. Vehicle purchased from Autosport Designs, INC in Huntington NY 4/09 with bill of sale listing mileage as 76,111 and in my possession since then with no work on the odometer so believe the 82,350 is as accurate as can be provided. Tom at Autosport said he had originally sold the car to an owner in California but had bought it back after the owner had to downsize his collection. I don't know if the upgrades were done in California or NY but in a recent communication with Tom he could not recall the history. My assessment is that a good deal of undercoating work was done during that upgrade based on the coverage and quality of the undercoating plus there does not appear to be any "thru the metal rust" but some surface rest (like the spare area.)
Will work on some pictures to add, a "lift" might be a challenge but will see so if there are other specific areas, let me know.

2. The ignition work was prompted after the brake work. When attempting to leave the garage, the key would turn but there would be no crank or ignition. Changed the battery, but then found ignition to be intermittent at best. Bunch of troubleshooting, got it started and brought it home (about a 30 minute drive to isolate source of intermittency.) After about two months of "wire wiggling"; had reasonable confidence in the wire harness that was been spliced at some earlier time. Ordered a wire harness and returned to mechanic - not wanting to engage in a task larger than I could do at home if it wasn't a harness. Returned vehicle to shop where harness was replaced but then full key rotation seemed limited and the mechanic started replacing at the back of the mechanical components until he ended up at the ignition lock-and success. As noted by one of the commenters - the mechanic (who is passionate about the car but also aging...) could only work under the dash for short periods - as well as my search of parts as he worked from back to front. My parts search successes were sporadic until I started working with BMW of North Scottsdale and while pricey, were good parts and appeared to be the OEM or near-OEM. At least they all worked-and now ignition is trustworthy and my wife will get in the car again.
3. Passenger mirror is manual and original to my knowledge.
4. Not inclined to go to BaT or other online sellers, prefer that this car stay in the family of like minded owners.
Max