80% Humidity and nowhere to hide!

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is my first winter season with The Unicorn. (Second winter with the Tii FunMobile.)
My underground garage is open to the elements on both ends; external stairway near my space and open garage door at the other end. I recently bought a hygrometer to hang in my parking space and it confirmed my worst fear: consistent 80% humidity during the winter months.

I can only imagine the look of horror on the faces of those from the drier States, but what about fellow E9ers in the Pacific NorthWest, or near the coast anywhere? I saw an E9 from Hawaii recently sold on BAT... How did that turn out?

I haven't had enough lift access to get into every nook and cranny, but I have sprayed or painted wax in all of the main points of concern (over the original cavity wax job done by the original owner, bless him). On visible areas I am using Owatrol Öl, the EU equivalent of Penetrol. It leaves a clear(ish) water repellent coat and does a good job of creeping into all of the seams.

I have it covered with a high quality breathable cotton cover from J.F. Stanley, who also makes a product called the "AutoPyjama", a seal-able cover that you can use with rechargeable desiccant canisters.

Has anyone any experience with this situation? Has anyone tried this "bag it and tag it" solution?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
perhaps use inside a dehumidifier as used in boats ? ( against spots on leather )

o well , i don't fear it... mine are sometimes in rain all day… but have now the wax in all cavitys…. i always assume our cars were so rusted because they were outside in rain&wind for 20 years or more … ? i hope to survive to see if it lasted again over 20 years…. :D

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I live in a very humid environment and my garage is not climate controlled - but it is out of the rain. I have not seen any ill effects of humidity (very little salt in the air here - less for you) other than very mild surface rust on unpainted undercarriage pieces (I touch them up from time to time) but I drive mine regularly to get the air through it and never put it away wet. I have also cavity waxed every place I could. I don't obsess over it anymore. It's been on several long trips through torrential rain at times and it is still in one piece! Make sure all drains are clear, blow out the debris from the front fender seams and pockets and enjoy.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
perhaps use inside a dehumidifier as used in boats ? ( against spots on leather )

o well , i don't fear it... mine are sometimes in rain all day… but have now the wax in all cavitys…. i always assume our cars were so rusted because they were outside in rain&wind for 20 years or more … ? i hope to survive to see if it lasted again over 20 years…. :D
Good to hear I'm not alone, bbarry! I put a couple of socks full of kitty litter in the passenger compartment and trunk as a stop-gap until I come up with a better dryer solution.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could get one of those drive in bags with a dehumidifier also.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 12.31.18 PM.png

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have to give thanks and consider myself fortunate that I can keep The Raven in a heated garage (50 degrees Fahrenheit), and run a dehumidifier 24/7 (average 40%, max 45%) all winter long. Actually, the dehumidifier runs through the summer, too. I recognize this is a healthy dose of German over-engineering, but there will be no rust on my watch. ;)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I submit that the horrific rust we all know and hate (fenders, above the fuse box and glove box, floors, sunroof etc) is from undrained water intrusion and/or road salt, not humidity. Keep the car clean and stored out of the rain, dry it off inside and out if caught in bad weather, keep all drains clear and it won't turn into swiss cheese from humidity (sorry, couldn't resist!).

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, I think I largely agree with your submission. That said, I once had a car in a closed up garage on summer where someone had moved some firewood into the garage "to dry". The wood remained wet, the garage grew a mold problem, and aspects of that vehicle were reduced to brown chunklets of rust, including some of the body, much of the suspension, and the engine block in particular. It didn't take long - a real science experiment. Perhaps that vehicle was on the edge already...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
How 'bout a car cover made out of rice paper or silica! :D Can you put up your own canopy-garage inside and make your own climate controlled space?

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think humidity that high is a problem, particularly if you have temp fluctuations which cause dew/condensation. Don’t forget to put anti rust wax into the crimped seams at the lower edges of the doors hood/trunk lids. And how about the back sides of the bumpers? I would remove, wire brush then brush on POR-15.

Any chance you could frame-in the two open ends and run a dehumidifier?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i can assure you that if high humidity was that much of an issue, Stevehose's coupe would be dust already. New Orleans average more than 80% humidity. it is often 95% humidity, where you can squeeze water out of the air by clapping your hands.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Few things:

- maybe a tarp or carpet underneath the car to help insulate from the cold/damp cement floor

- get a high powered fan and blow it across the car. Maybe a couple, like one underneath. Harder for dew to condensate with air blowing. Must be a lot of air though.

- incandescent light bulb in the car, engine compartment, underneath. Will help a little bit with some heat. Especially inside the cabin. A few of those "Dri-z-air" things too will help soak up moisture.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think humidity that high is a problem, particularly if you have temp fluctuations which cause dew/condensation. Don’t forget to put anti rust wax into the crimped seams at the lower edges of the doors hood/trunk lids. And how about the back sides of the bumpers? I would remove, wire brush then brush on POR-15.

Any chance you could frame-in the two open ends and run a dehumidifier?
Nah, not possible, it's a 16-car open space. I bought the breathable cotton cover for just that reason (condensation), I found the stretchy polyester ones trap condensation underneath and it just clings to the car.

Good rust-proofing suggestions. I will probably pull the rear bumper to mount the underriders this summer, I'll do the rust-proofing then (and get the front bumper in the meantime.)

Rob's suggestion is practical... I used to have these plug-in dehumidier tubes that we hung in our clothes closets in Hong Kong. It was so humid that if you opened the windows when the air conditioning had been on, water would immediately start weeping down the walls!

That Permabag isn't cheap, but a long sight cheaper than rust repair. The Unicorn is pristine, and I'd like to keep 'er that way!
upload_2019-1-15_17-21-31.png

However, I just googlesd for experiences, service not so good...
Sat 11 Aug 2018 09:19
Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - 220seb
I bought one for my SLK - I stored it for 3 years mainly to protect from mice. I took it out 3 times in this time and on returning it last week the zip failed. It's probably been opened 6 times in total. I emailed the company and have followed up a number of times - not a single reply. Good idea and works well in use, but it's a £685 investment and neither the quaity nor the service justify this.

Last edited:

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is Fluid Film available there at auto parts stores? It is a clear rust inhibiting coating.
I think Owatrol Öl is the equivalent here Andrew. As soon as it gets warm enough to flow properly, I will be coating everything already not coated, and then install my Lokari inner fenders in the front! This time I will keep the aluminum finish and just treat them with Owatrol. On my Tii I sprayed them with rubberized undercoating, but grass and dirt tends to cling to that surface.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
And ... there is the notion of paying for climate controlled car storage facilities with drive in/out privileges. I’m guessing $150/month, which is real $$.