86 535

Mike Goble

Reaction score
What all are you swapping? The engine will bolt right in, the transmission doesn't have a speedo cable drive, the rear axle will bolt in with a few mods and I use an E28 driveshaft.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
The engine.. transmission. .and differential is the possibility I was wondering about

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It will fit. What is the goal? If your goal is a better engine you aren’t really gaining anything over a 3.0. You do get electronic fuel injection.

The ‘86 535i has a a G260 transmission. You don’t see a lot of folks sticking G260’s into coupes. Other than the speedo issue I can’t think of any reason why they would be a problem. Moving to an e28 rear subframe opens you up to a world of readily available LSD’s however.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
It will fit. What is the goal? If your goal is a better engine you aren’t really gaining anything over a 3.0. You do get electronic fuel injection.

The ‘86 535i has a a G260 transmission. You don’t see a lot of folks sticking G260’s into coupes. Other than the speedo issue I can’t think of any reason why they would be a problem. Moving to an e28 rear subframe opens you up to a world of readily available LSD’s however.

OK....
The car I have is a Bavaria.
Had a guy contact me about selling this car to me. I can get the whole wreck. I thought that some 535i had a 265 in them. But understand.
It also is to have a 3.23 lsd in the car presently.
This is all for only a consideration as my drive train currently is in good condition.
Thanks

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK....
The car I have is a Bavaria.
Had a guy contact me about selling this car to me. I can get the whole wreck. I thought that some 535i had a 265 in them. But understand.
It also is to have a 3.23 lsd in the car presently.
This is all for only a consideration as my drive train currently is in good condition.
Thanks

Sorry I wasn’t intending to be coupe specific. The e3 rear subframe is more e28 compatible though. The ‘85 535i and the ‘82 528e came with the G265, both electronic speedos.

The US spec B34 is around 184 HP, low compression, emissions controlled, 264 degree cam. If you stuck your 272 cam from the coupe in there and ditched the cat, perhaps you could squeeze some life out of the B34. Your tune would be off though if you used the factory computer.