A few 5 Speed install questions

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What say the experts:

1. Will my shift tower and linkage from my 4 speed work on the 5 speed or is the geometry off?

2. From earlier posts I see that an auto tranny dirve shaft + longer output flange (as recommended by SFDon) will work, yes? Or are there better options?

3. Will this allow me to use sturdier M5 guibo?

4. Will my existing Getrag 4 speed bell housing work with the 265 Getrag?

5. Is there an easy way to install a shorter shift linkage while I am in there? Nothing too crazy.

Gracias.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No...shifter and linkage and platform do not fit.
Bell housing no unless it's last year.
Auto driveshaft goes on but you need a good driveshaft with ujoints
M5 guibo is needed
Short shift is shifter not linkage.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can use the early bell housing onto a 265 but you have to swap the nose of the 5 out for the nose of the 4 speed.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you mean the cover piece that holds the input shaft seal? I remember changing that once. Thanks.

You can use the early bell housing onto a 265 but you have to swap the nose of the 5 out for the nose of the 4 speed.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes sorry I meant the shifter, I have heard a 320i will fit, is this true or is there a better alternative like make an existing one a little longer? I think I read that somewhere also. I'd like to keep the screw-on knob that came with the car.

Short shift is shifter not linkage.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes sorry I meant the shifter, I have heard a 320i will fit, is this true or is there a better alternative like make an existing one a little longer? I think I read that somewhere also. I'd like to keep the screw-on knob that came with the car.

Not sure exactly which shift platform I used, but as to the shifter itself, I believe you can disassembled your existing shifter, remove yours and swap yours for the one that came with the used platform.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For mine I believe VSR used a Z3 shift rod and linkage for my 4 to 5 speed conversion. Not happy with the press on shift knob, they fabricated one with my original threads.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the difference in RPMs at a given speed on top gear for the 5-speed vs. the 4-speed gearbox?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I have been happy with the UUC short shifter.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Steve,

UUC makes the shifter kit USSE5-E.

You will also want the DSSR 147 mm double selector rod and ask for the shortest selector rod joint. This is the piece that connects the 147 mm rod to the shaft coming out of the transmission. See photo. This will ensure the shifter is in the correct fore/aft position and keep reverse from hitting the console.

The platform is mounted slightly differently to the transmission. The 4 spd has only the four isolation fittings. The 5 spd has only two isolation fittings and then a rear support to the underbody via either a bushing with a threaded rod out each end or a more elaborate built-up install (like in the photo).

Note - the UUC shifter does not come with a threaded shifter to receive the old style knobs. Maybe someone could thread it for you?

I made a home made short shifter by extending the eye on the bottom of the stock shifter by 5/8". Not quite as smooth as the UUC one.

Attachments

• SelectJoint.jpg
    SelectJoint.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 238
  • PlatformSupport.jpg
    PlatformSupport.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 248

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
About 500. I turn 2500 RPM at 70 with 5th gear, I was at 3000 at 70 in 4th.

Much longer range and better fuel mileage with the 5-speed.

With my 4-speed and 195/70-14 tires, I'm turning about 3500 rpm's at 70mph. I'm due for a new clutch though, but hope that's not the reason for the higher rpm's.

On mostly highway driving I average about 24-25 mpg
0718151700a_zpslvsytzts.jpg

Have been thinking about how nice it would be to have a 5-speed...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is also 3500 rpm at 70, perhaps Andrew's euro csi diff allows for fewer rpm's at speed already?

With my 4-speed and 195/70-14 tires, I'm turning about 3500 rpm's at 70mph. I'm due for a new clutch though, but hope that's not the reason for the higher rpm's.

On mostly highway driving I average about 24-25 mpg

Have been thinking about how nice it would be to have a 5-speed...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With the 5 speed and 3.45 diff I have 3000 rpm at 77mph. A 3.64 would be around 73mph at the same rpm since it's 5% shorter. This is using a GPS as my speedo reads slow.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Checked again today. With 5-speed in 4th gear 3000 RPM is 70. In 5th 2500 RPM is 70, 3000 RPM is 86mph. Verified with GPS since my speedo is in KMH.

Not sure what my differential gearing ratio is.

Mine is also 3500 rpm at 70, perhaps Andrew's euro csi diff allows for fewer rpm's at speed already?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For mine I believe VSR used a Z3 shift rod and linkage for my 4 to 5 speed conversion. Not happy with the press on shift knob, they fabricated one with my original threads.
the z3 shifter is pretty short ... how is it on the coupe?

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I think I got an about 700rpm difference. No idea about the diff though.

Kinda fun to go 200kph, noticing you are at about 4000rpm and then extrapolate the 6000rpm to going 300kph :)

Last edited: