A shot in the snow

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well and getting their car out for spring. I have pretty much driven mine at least every other week or so during the entire winter
C331F25D-4EDD-441A-8E33-4E8DE6832355.jpeg
. I pick and choose my days. We got a shit ton of snow as you can see. I was just thinking about it and realize that my car has been in constant use ever since 1974. For no period of time in excess of probably a few months has this car not been driven as far as I can tell. Is that a good thing? It’s running like a champ. I wouldn’t change anything. Thanks again for all of your help getting the restoration done. I really do appreciate it

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
By showing us pics of an E9 in snow, You are just giving us over protective worriers the proverbial finger, right;)

If an E9 is properly prepped I see no short term harm in using it year round. My Brit friends drive their restored classics year round and budget for a body restoration every 10-15 years.

Did you cavity wax the insides of the rockers and doors? Those and the seams of the trunk/hood lid are crimped, which means moisture and salt can get in and stay trapped. I would therefore treat all such crimped seams with a cavity wax to try to keep the seams clean/dry. This worked well for me on a 2002 I drove throughout grad school (Michigan winters). The other seam I would worry about is the one for he lower front valence.

Are your rocker drain holes clear/open? Because you didn’t completely redo your rockers, I’d treat them and then make sure the drains are open.

I don’t recall, but I assume the inner/outer fender interfaces were cleaned out, treated and then sealed. Did you install fender liners (Lokari)?

And then wash the undercarriage when you can.

John

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
By showing us pics of an E9 in snow, You are just giving us over protective worriers the proverbial finger, right;)

If an E9 is properly prepped I see no short term harm in using it year round. My Brit friends drive their restored classics year round and budget for a body restoration every 10-15 years.

Did you cavity wax the insides of the rockers and doors? Those and the seams of the trunk/hood lid are crimped, which means moisture and salt can get in and stay trapped. I would therefore treat all such crimped seams with a cavity wax to try to keep the seams clean/dry. This worked well for me on a 2002 I drove throughout grad school (Michigan winters). The other seam I would worry about is the one for he lower front valence.

Are your rocker drain holes clear/open? Because you didn’t completely redo your rockers, I’d treat them and then make sure the drains are open.

I don’t recall, but I assume the inner/outer fender interfaces were cleaned out, treated and then sealed. Did you install fender liners (Lokari)?

And then wash the undercarriage when you can.

John

Most of what you said I know is done but I am going to be sure of it all. These cars are meant to be driven in my opinion. So much fun.