ABBA e9

CSL 1973

Reaction score

Hi Andy,

Some "inside info" about the ABBA BMWs:

Can add that the ABBA E9 in question was owned by Agnetha Fältskog and it is a 3.0 CS. Benny Andersson owned a Ceylon 3.0 Si and their manager Stig "Stickan" Andersson, at Polar Music International AB, owned a 3,3 LA.

I bought the 3,3 LA from Stickan around 1983 and it was a nice one in Dark Blue metallic with White leather (same colors as their Record Company labal (Polar). Björn Ulvaeus is from my hometown in Sweden and in 1984 I asked him if he considered to buy a M1. He replied "no" as he did not see the M1 as a "very suitable family car".

At the time in Sweden (during the 80s), Björn drove an E24 645 CSi Turbo. I.e. a 635 CSi with a 252 hp Turbo engine from E23 745i. Everything arranged at BMW level. He also drove a "normal" 635CSi.

Nowadays, Björn sometimes drives, when visiting the south of Sweden, a former friend's classic BMW 328.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Henric is either of the e3's you mention the one parked in front of the cs?

2017_l_a9f765833e18694f.jpg

Hi Andy,

Can add that the ABBA E9 in question was owned by Agnetha Fältskog and it is a 3.0 CS. Benny Andersson owned a Ceylon 3.0 Si and their manager Stig "Stickan" Andersson, at Polar Music International AB, owned a 3,3 LA.

I bought the 3,3 LA from Stickan around 1983 and it was a nice one in Dark Blue metallic with White leather (same colors as their Record Company labal (Polar). Björn Ulvaeus is from my hometown in Sweden and in 1984 I asked him if he considered to buy a M1. He replied "no" as he did not see the M1 as a "very suitable family car".

At the time in Sweden (during the 80s), Björn drove an E24 645 CSi Turbo. I.e. a 635 CSi with a 252 hp Turbo engine from E23 745i. Everything arranged at BMW level. He also drove a "normal" 635CSi.

Nowadays, Björn sometimes drives, when visiting the south of Sweden, a former friend's classic BMW 328.

Cheers
Henric

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those restorations are intense. It is great when they are that complete but I think it is practically no longer a restoration rather than building a new car! I mean, what will be left of the original car hehehe. Should be stunning when finished. :)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Henric is either of the e3's you mention the one parked in front of the cs?

2017_l_a9f765833e18694f.jpg
Hi Stevehose,

Indeed the one in front of the CS, is Benny Andersson's E3 3,0 Si. Was up for sale, a year ago or so, in Sweden.

For the department of useful info: the photo looks like have been taken in the central parts of Björn's hometown Västervik, Sweden. If so, his parents former apartment was located some 100 meters in front of the cars. Björn Ulvaeus (to the left at the photo) lived in that apartment when his mother applied for him to participate in a song-talent competition. At the time, his father thought it was more financially safe for Björn to continue his education to become an engineer (in the paper-mill business).

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

bmwkai

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Cheers
Henric
Hi Henric
Funny to read about your insider info. Can you also tell if Agnetha had one of the first e21 323i's as well. I am sure I read a swedish car magasin in the late 80's about it?
I think Agnetha was my first love back in 75

Kai

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Kai

The ABBA-members have had several BMW cars throughout the years. Interesting to note that they had a special love for the e24 models. But they also frequently drove E3 and E9. Indeed Agnetha also had an e21 323i. However, I'm not sure if it was one of the first ones. The ABBA-members normally let their used BMW-cars to be sold by one of the BMW-second-hand-car-dealers around "Sveavägen" in the city centre of Stockholm. Via the following link some of the ABBA-BMWs can be seen:

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/mopednicke/library/ABBA-cars?sort=4&page=1

Cheers
Henric