Accelerator pedal position

Discussion in 'E9 General Discussion' started by bavbob, Nov 22, 2018.

1. bavbob

bavbob Active Member Site Donor

My car (automatic) came with the pedal handing in the breeze and rusted through the floor. Floor repaired and I have a new bracket and pedal but I dont know just where to position it. Seats are out so I cannot sit and figure what's comfortable with correct spacing from the brake etc. I have tried to use my Bavaria as a reference and it is clear that is not helpful. Anyone have any good ideas, position relative to brake, relative to accelerator stop etc.?

and Happy Thanksgiving to all

2. stphers

stphers Active Member

All the info that you need is in the workshop manual under the pedal section

sfdon likes this.
  3. sfdon

sfdon Well-Known Member

6A964A13-F72C-4EF8-8A9A-BC18B71DCDC2.jpeg 94A410C7-F153-462D-AB89-BD48274769F5.jpeg You need to know the ABC’s and the specs.

m5bb likes this.
  4. sfdon

sfdon Well-Known Member

Section 35

5. stphers

stphers Active Member

Oh hell, I just look at the pictures

sfdon likes this.
  6. sfdon

sfdon Well-Known Member

A little shy of 10 inches and a bit shy of 1 3/4 inches
    Done.

stphers likes this.
  7. bavbob

Distance between (away from) brake and acc pedal? I rather have it stay a BMW than convert this part into an Audi.

8. eriknetherlands

eriknetherlands Active Member

I have my front floor out and wrestled the same dilemma. Firts my dumb solution, and then my smart one:

I fabbed up a template/bracket (section of 90 degree aluminium with two slots for the mushrooms )that slid over the floormount, and trimmed it off so that I could mark the contour where it (would) intersect the side of the tunnel. This allowed me to relocate the floormount after removing the floor. It works.

Smart solution; cut away the floor, but don't remove the upper link of the pedal going into the pedalbox. Fix your floor.
    Then slide the rubber pedal back on the 10mm round bar, clip the floormount in the back of the pedal, and let the whole assembly rest on the floor. Its should be virtually stressfree.
    Mark the position of the bracket and weld it on. It is as simple as that.

I did it that way and used the template bracket to check position. It checked out, hence I think you can still do it without the confirmation provided by the template/bracket.

Will post a pic on Monday if still needed.

Erik.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

9. bavbob

Erik, your second approach is exactly what I had planned to do but somehow, the separation between the brake and acc pedal seems to short for me. On my Bavaria, this distance is over 2 inches while I cannot achieve that here as the pedal would be against the tunnel. If I had the seats in, I would tack weld and see how it felt but I dont have that option. A picture with a ruler would be very helpful.

10. eriknetherlands

pics as promised, sorry out of country for a while.
    pic 235644 shows new bracket (in white filler) located with aid of aluminium bracket lined up to blue marks.

No measurement with a ruler however. no real 'hard' reference lines in the area. I could measure it out towards the 2 holes that locate the pedal stopper. Let me know if that'll help you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  11. Markos

Markos Well-Known Procrastinator Staff Member Site Donor $$

View My Garage
    There is a joke in there somewhere...

12. eriknetherlands

ignoring Markos who again lets our minds stray about the tool department of SFDon, i'll try to add something constructive....:)

the two bolt holes in front of the gas pedal serve as reference elements (I have an automatic, not sure of same for manual)
    pic 131457 shows measurement setup, and the current state of my car.
    pic 131840 is the side view. the white bracket is a reproduction from CSL Garage in Budapest. I think I paid ~30 euro's for it; and it's perfect.
    pic 131457 shows that the centerlines of the 2 holes and the middle of the pedal all line up.
    pic 131532 show the zero located at the centre of the top hole
    pic 131643 shows that the centre of the pedal is exactly at he side of the ruler, which also passes exactly the centers of the 2 bolt holes
    Pic 131823 shows the distance; 21,3cm from the centre of the top bolt hole. I think my measurement accuracy is ~2 mm max. (due to the ruler being in between & bracket is not compressed to the floor, just resting there).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    sfdon likes this.
  13. bavbob

This is perfect, thank you!. I too was going to use the bolt holes for the accelerator stop as a reference. I will proceed based on your numbers. Although this seems trivial, these measurements truly are important.

14. aearch

aearch Well-Known Member Site Donor

yes its good to keep to the subject
    this isnt a talk show

Keshav likes this.