Adapting early 90's m30B35 to early M30 motor mounts.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Somewhere I remember seeing some adapter plates to adapt the post-88 M30 block to the earlier style engine mounts. Any clues for me?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Well, that is some pricey bar stock, Koala wants $90 and Carl wanted the rest of my leg. So I went out to the metal pile and pulled out an old piece of 3 x 1/4" bar stock and made my own right side mount.

A4t2LvF.jpg

RUGZXJg.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys
If you figure the time required for a shop to make a handful of these adapter $90 seems kind of reasonable to me.
(1) cut stock
(2) finish to size
(3) drill holes
(4) prep and weld
(4) clean up and paint

Figure 1 hour of labor, $10 of stock, $5 of shop supplies. A good welder should be making at least $75/hr (including shop overhead).

Not fair to compare with DIY.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
If you know anything about me at all, you know I'm cheap. I wasn't going to spend $90 to mount a $160 motor.
Here's how I did it. I found a piece of 3" x 1/4" bar stock and laid it up on the mounting holes and found it had them all covered. I then cut a 3" x 11" piece of cardboard as a template and laid the motor mount on one end. I scribed the 4 holes for the mount but only drilled one, the one that is circled on the template. I used this as my reference hole, attaching the template to the block with it and squaring it up. I tapped the template with a rubber hammer on each of the three remaining mounting bosses, which transferred the exact bolt pattern to my template. I then drilled those holes then used the template to transfer the pattern to my bar stock. I drilled the holes in the bar stock and bolted the adapter and the mount to the block. I then checked to see if the outer 2 holes would line up with the motor mount, then drilled and tapped them. You need very short bolts because the adapter is very close to the block. In the picture I'm holding the template by the front end.

NN96D6K.jpg

Bwana

Reaction score
Looks like you could use a visit to DeQuincy's manicurist :D (I probably could too)

Seriously, that's a good method. I've found myself doing cardboard mock-ups a lot lately, including sizing a new fireplace mantle

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why not make multiples of template and sell each for $5 or more and have it available for the members that want to make their own?

Just an idea!:)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, in that case you are using a template to make templates, buyers would use these templates to make other templates at $5 each, and before you know you have another bubble like the Tulip Mania in Holland, and the economy collapses.

Hey Mike, can you please burn that cardboard template?

Why not make multiples of template and sell each for $5 or more and have it available for the members that want to make their own?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 126

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, in that case you are using a template to make templates, buyers would use these templates to make other templates at $5 each, and before you know you have another bubble like the Tulip Mania in Holland, and the economy collapses.

Lolllllll!! I always love your responses Arde !!:p

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Lol !! I take it as you don’t like Tulips

Mike Goble

Reaction score
We could make a template chain letter. Make a list of those who want one, I'll send it to the first person on the list, they can make a copy and send the original to the next person on the list, etc. etc. etc. ( I always think of the King and I after an et cetera ) We could refer to ourselves as the Knights Template...