Air dam/front spoiler stripes.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi. I know the answer is do what you want but I’m not sure which I like better. The front air dam with or without stripes on a striped car. Also, did CSLs cone with the front spoiler stripes or not?

Jabberjaw and my Ceylon CSL don’t have them. Also

Was the 3.0CSL stencil on the back of the rubber topped spoiler original or a later add on? Wondering about putting it on my CSL with BAT kit 2.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Article from 1974. Looks like “with”.

As you say it’s what you like that matters but I like the stripes on the spoiler but only when they are the multi colored vs just black.

D470474E-6C36-466B-82BB-AE25794045B6.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jabberjaw and my Ceylon CSL don’t have them

Seems like original was without stripes on the front spoiler nor the 3.0 CSL decal.
The one car is the BMW Classic Bat (but with decal on the rear spoiler) and the other car is strictly original specs down to the last bolt and the one i’d go by.
The black Csl is unrestored and doesn’t have either of the decals

Attachments

• 3C2C65D1-7972-4F5C-A230-B8C8E868C7E2.jpeg
    3C2C65D1-7972-4F5C-A230-B8C8E868C7E2.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 302
  • E42DCC6C-1DFD-44D0-9125-C3BCE704D518.jpeg
    E42DCC6C-1DFD-44D0-9125-C3BCE704D518.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 366
  • 9EBEEF2C-FD8E-433B-97C3-5F748CECBB6D.jpeg
    9EBEEF2C-FD8E-433B-97C3-5F748CECBB6D.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 318
  • 2183A298-6EA3-4ED1-8C6A-8612515952A4.jpeg
    2183A298-6EA3-4ED1-8C6A-8612515952A4.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 273
  • C1A0EDF9-B783-4C5C-88A8-4CDBCB781E7C.jpeg
    C1A0EDF9-B783-4C5C-88A8-4CDBCB781E7C.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 271

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thx. I’m not sure what I like. They all look good and would probably go with originality. I wonder when the stenciled 3.0CSL became available and same for the spoiler stripes. From the factory or dealer as an option or an aftermarket thing is the question I guess.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am not an expert on this, but the only CSL that i have seen with the spoiler stripes was a BAT or BAT2

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't think a standard CSL (non-Batmobile) had a spoiler, which was a later accessory.
The attached photos of a Batmobile were in a BMW-produced booklet dated August 1974.

Cheers

Marco

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_4767.JPG
    IMG_4767.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 241

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
Not quite true. The 2275xxx non Bats were/ could also be ordered as ‘lightweight specs’ with front spoiler and fiberglass rear bumper, fixed rear glass/ plexiglass etc, thin front windshield etc. Basically all configurations were possible to order even for the non BATs.

Here’s a good example, all original 2275xxx (non Bat) that sold in Canada just over a year ago.

0AB00DE0-8D63-4F23-9F70-2C826FF708FC.jpeg

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also have had the same dilemma for couple of years. 3 reasons I am doing nothing yet;

1) I think adding another feature (front stripe) will make my car look too busy ie too many period add ons (I have bonnet fins, side stripes, and roof spoiler already)

2) I think the stripes on front air dam and sides look superb on Chamonix as tri colour MS stripes. The black version not so good.

3) I got a quote for $250 usd for a worshop to do the front stripe which I think is too expensive

40CAF5DE-18F2-45A6-A3BB-4E8EC358CA7D.jpeg

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
Not quite true. The 2275xxx non Bats were/ could also be ordered as ‘lightweight specs’ with front spoiler and fiberglass rear bumper, fixed rear glass/ plexiglass etc, thin front windshield etc. Basically all configurations were possible to order even for the non BATs.

Here’s a good example, all original 2275xxx (non Bat) that sold in Canada just over a year ago.

Interesting. So that car was ordered without the side stripes? But it’s been painted right? No black behind the side vent covers?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, aparently it was painted once but that car is a perfect speciman of a 2275xxx light weight of which there were more built than we know off. If I remember right, it also has the rear side plexiglass and a very rare thin/ light front windshield.
On the other hand, there were plenty of Bats which were city pack cars, contrary to the general belief.

Once again, the only rule is, there is no rule! Csl’s were entirely built based on the wish of the customer.
Regarding the stripes, seems again that standard was without stripes as seen on the Bat2 pics but again, customer was/ is King. Literally any and everything was possible.

Due to the lack of records, no real assumptions can be made. Unlike MB in the same period. Their data card specified literally everything the car had.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Marco,

Hi Keshav

Thank you for your clarification.

My experience is limited to the UK based right-hand drive 'City Pack' cars - most of which were similarly specified.

You are quite right to point out that the left-hand drive cars were not!
The same booklet from which I took the photos states,"Naturally the equipment of the BMW 3.0 CSL can be supplemented on request."
It also states,"... with the aid of various other extras an individual CSL is possible."

I would be interested to know whether any UK based members can identify any City Pack cars with any unusual original specification.

Cheers.

Marco

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
would be interested to know whether any UK based members can identify any City Pack cars with any unusual original specification

Hi Marco,
I’ve heard thru a very reliable Csl source that a handful of RHD Csl’s were special orders too/ non city pack cars. But with the few Csl’s left, RHD&LHD, it’s hard to tell if any of those survived, specially in the UK (climate wise).
Finally I’d say that due to Bmw’s lack of records, it’s become hard to tell, so many decades later, what the true origins were.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
I’ve heard thru a very reliable Csl source that a handful of RHD Csl’s were special orders too/ non city pack cars. But with the few Csl’s left, RHD&LHD, it’s hard to tell if any of those survived, specially in the UK (climate wise).
Finally I’d say that due to Bmw’s lack of records, it’s become hard to tell, so many decades later, what the true origins were.

Hi again Keshav

Many thanks for your further clarification - that's very interesting!
I'll look even more closely now at the right-hand drive CSLs for sale to see whether there is any mention of customised original specifications.

Cheers.

Marco

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Marco,
One aspect that’s generally a give away are the front chrome bumper slots and the holes in the rear panel for the overriders bolts. Granted, one can have them closed but very few shops would take the trouble to do so. If those check then it’s worth further investigation (that’s my starting point). If I recall, atleast one of Sandhu’s Csl’s is like that....
Please share your findings so that our general knowledge develops ;)

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve never seen those on the rear fin. Cool! Top and bottoms too. Great to see.

I’m confused how many Taigas have black stripes. Mine had green stripes, which was supposedly original when I got it from Jimmy Baker. So i kept it that way. I think it looks great. I wonder what was more common. Sounds like it could have been ordered either way.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like it could have been ordered either way.

I agree, must have been a choice. The green stripes are rare and a very cool alternate to the standard black ones, specially on Tiaga and blend in very nice and subtle.