Allow wheels--Rial 16X8"-Do they fit OEM lug studs?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a closeup pic of the center of the wheel. The tapered hole looks thin enough to accept the OEM lug studs to allow the lug nuts to be safely torqued in place. Has anyone seen these wheels on a Coupe? All 4 wheels are ET11 and 8" wide--any clearance problems with the fenders?

53877493_394077974704639_2559583827315916800_n.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
8” ET11 is going to be tough. Some folks have issue with 205mm tires on a 7” ET11 which is a factory wheel size, albeit more narrow tire.

I have 8” ET20 on mine now with a 3mm spacer. They wheel lip is very close to the unmodified fender lip.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to be clear, an ET11 will be about 6mm closer to the fender than my setup which is already tight. That is about a quarter inch, which is how thick the fender lip is. If you roll your fenders it might fit. Camber plates would also help. The fixed ones that Carl Nelson sells add a few degrees of negative camber. That will move the wheel away from the fender lip.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know the offset, but my CSL had 8J Rials on the rear (7J on the front) when I bought it. I've since gone to factory 7Jx14 Alpinas

I did not have to do anything to the studs, and I didn't have any clearance issues, on wheel arch lips or on the suspension. I have the wheels in my shed, let me know if you'd like me to look out the offset

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew--Your 7J Rial front wheels were what diameter? Markos told me the 16X 8" Rials will have a fender clearance problem up front even with the ET11 offset. The Rial wheels will accept the OEM lug studs,but messing with the fenders up front is too much of a problem. I have a set of BBS RS 16X7" with an ET11 on all 4 wheels. I'll just have to get longer lug studs to mount them correctly.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
ah yes, missed that. Mine are 15"

7Jx15 up front (with 205mm width tyres), 8Jx15 (215mm tyres) at the rear. Clearance was fine at either end, but especially so at the rear

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew--Your 7J Rial front wheels were what diameter? Markos told me the 16X 8" Rials will have a fender clearance problem up front even with the ET11 offset. The Rial wheels will accept the OEM lug studs,but messing with the fenders up front is too much of a problem. I have a set of BBS RS 16X7" with an ET11 on all 4 wheels. I'll just have to get longer lug studs to mount them correctly.

The diameter of the wheel isn’t particularly relevant. It is the width and the offset that matters. An 8J ET11 wheel is .5” closer to the fender and the strut compared to a 7J ET11.

Wheel diameter plays a role as the wheel gets closer to the strut. For instance 8x16 ET20 would cause the tire to rub the strut, but the tire would clear the fender. If your wheels have a higher offset you have a little bit of wiggle room with spacers. If the offset is lower you need to look at rolling the fenders, negative camber, or using under-sized tires.